Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently purchased a 2001 Honda Odyssey. It has 194K miles on it (yes I know its alot !!) it's had one owner who drove it from Florida to Connecticut a few times a year.

Carfax came up clean, car has had all routine maintenance done. Timing belt and waterpump were changed at 133k.

We LOVE the van !! It runs great !! ..(knock on wood)

The main thing we're concerned about is that when decelerating (like when making a turn) and then accelerating again there seems to be a shift delay. I figured it was just because there was alot of miles on the vehicle ..after a little Googling.. I almost threw up when I saw all the tranny issues with this car !!

I took it to my local mechanic (whom I very much trust and has never steered me wrong) he looked the Ody over and says it looks to be very well maintained. Tranny fluid is good, doesn't look burnt or smell "off". NO check engine lights or TCS lights on.

Do I remain paranoid and not take the car on any long trips ?? .. or just hope I got lucky and the tranny keeps "chugging" along ??

Any tips or recommendations to get the most from this vehicle would be great !!!

thanks in advance !! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does your van has a tranny cooler on it? check the tranny lines and see if they are going up under the radiator. If they are not then see if the go towards a small radiator, should be bolted up to the front of the condenser. If it is not get yourself a cooler, that will help prolong whatever life is in the tranny. I know Im a noob, but not a noob to cars!! Hayden makes good coolers.

Jaime

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
As Jay says, tranny cooler and filter along with regular tranny fluid drain/fill (NOT FLUSH) seems to be the only thing that prolongs the tranny life. What you may have felt was the standard down shift the tranny does at certain deceleration rates. It's supposed to help slow the car without heavy breaking but can be unnerving when you're not used to it. It doesn't always down shift, it has something to do with when the brake is touched compared to the speed drop. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. The typical failure seems to be slippage between gears when speeding up. You'll see the engine rev before it engages the next gear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OdyinNH said:
As Jay says, tranny cooler and filter along with regular tranny fluid drain/fill (NOT FLUSH) seems to be the only thing that prolongs the tranny life. What you may have felt was the standard down shift the tranny does at certain deceleration rates. It's supposed to help slow the car without heavy breaking but can be unnerving when you're not used to it. It doesn't always down shift, it has something to do with when the brake is touched compared to the speed drop. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. The typical failure seems to be slippage between gears when speeding up. You'll see the engine rev before it engages the next gear.
go to my own post, clik on the photo to go to more photos

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95546

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Check out the link in my signature line below for info on the 2001 model...

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Sounds like the van has been driven mostly on the interstate. That type of driving (no shifting, torque converter lockup) is not stressful on an automatic transmission and doesn't overheat it. However, still good advice above to add a cooler and change the ATF regularly. That will help the transmission cope with everyday driving and hopefully extend its life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
New Dad New Van said:
Welcome to the site!

Check out the link in my signature line below for info on the 2001 model...
thanks big guy, Im just trying to get to the bottom of this tranny issue. This van is not a bad vehicle at all. Very nice van and rides pretty good too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts