Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Kenwood KDC-BT645U in my 2001 Honda Odyssey. Install was real simple. It took less than 30 minutes to complete except for the wiring harness which I worked on last night.

I bought everything from Crutchfield. The head unit, wiring harness, install kit, and shipping came to $188. The best that Best buy could do was about $250.

I'm not super happy with the install kit from Crutchfield as I prefer the radio on top of the opening. If anybody has a suggestion, I am looking to buy a different one.

I haven't played with all the features of the head unit, but I mainly got it for the Bluetooth. A quick test with my new Evo 4G was successful.

The only think left I need to do is get an adapter for the steering wheel controls.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Not the same thing as JAvendan but it looks lik the whole DIN adaptor to 180 degrees and that should get the cubby on the bottom. I am sure you would have tried that so what were the problems in trying to get the cubby at the bottom? Holes didn't match or what?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Soldering in progress

If it helps anyone that isn't sure what is involved in soldering the wiring harness, I attached a picture.

The bright spot where I am working is the flame from a cigarette lighter I am using to melt the heat shrink around a connection.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I ended up buying a different mounting bracket that uses the standard mounting screws so it is a lot more secure and the cubby is on the bottom again. It was getting old trying to change radio stations through the cups in the cup holder.

It took a little playing with the adjustment screws to get the radio positioned correctly, but the end result was much better. Also, it requires removing plastic tabs meant for use in other vehicles, but a hack saw takes them off quickly.

You can also see my post about getting the steering wheel controls working at http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100519

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Install-Odyssey-wiring-installation/dp/B000KL10VC/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1280624045&sr=1-3-fkmr1

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does the van security system still work with the aftermarket head unit in the 2001 EX if the Crutchfield wiring harness is used? I am getting ready to do this job. Thanks for the link to the kit, I will need it!

·
Registered
221 Posts
it should :DD

i've replaced quite of few OEM headunits with aftermarket ones and the security system always worked afterwards.

i replaced my stock headunit in my '09 with the kenwood KDC-X994 and everything works except my steering wheel controls for the radio.

i will get the PAC controller after taxes and get that working again.

joel

Does the van security system still work with the aftermarket head unit in the 2001 EX if the Crutchfield wiring harness is used? I am getting ready to do this job. Thanks for the link to the kit, I will need it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it still works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Joking: thanks so much. I was hoping to find installed pics of the "upside down" ugly crutchfield kit vs. a more stock looking kit. Getting ready to take the plunge with a new head unit with bluetooth and an amp. Using the link you provided for the install kit. Stephen

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ended up buying a different mounting bracket that uses the standard mounting screws so it is a lot more secure and the cubby is on the bottom again. It was getting old trying to change radio stations through the cups in the cup holder.

It took a little playing with the adjustment screws to get the radio positioned correctly, but the end result was much better. Also, it requires removing plastic tabs meant for use in other vehicles, but a hack saw takes them off quickly.

You can also see my post about getting the steering wheel controls working at Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control - Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums

Amazon.com: Stereo Install Dash Kit Honda Odyssey 99 00 01 2000 (car radio wiring installation parts): Electronics
joking, i have to agree with you the installation of this mounting kit is a little tricky. I still haven't been able to insert the last trim piece yet. I think my radio is tilted a little bit upwards than it should be. The bottom of the little cubby is sticking out a little. Will probably have to take the dash off again to re-adjust it next weekend.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bottom of the little cubby is sticking out a little. Will probably have to take the dash off again to re-adjust it next weekend.
Mine sticks out just a little bit at the bottom too, but not enough to make me want to take apart again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
uh, yeah... i'm getting the metra!

thanks.

joel
Also, consider getting an extra wiring harness or find an old one somewhere. You can steal one of the pins so the brown wire can pass through the wiring harness. It will make the install much cleaner if you don't have to use t-taps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
kk.

i believe i have an extra wire harness from another vehicle.

i can make that work!

thanks.

joel

Also, consider getting an extra wiring harness or find an old one somewhere. You can steal one of the pins so the brown wire can pass through the wiring harness. It will make the install much cleaner if you don't have to use t-taps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts