Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
How much was the Walker direct fit cat converter?
I bought the Walker 16457 Ultra EX Direct Fit, which is advertised as having "extra" precious metal loading versus the standard Ultra Direct Fit.

I paid $247.79 at RockAuto less the standard 5% discount. Additionally, there was a $40 Walker rebate in effect until the end of October, so I'll get that as well. Hopefully I can get a decent amount from scrapping the OEM converter. I had to buy gaskets to go along with the new converter. It doesn't use the circular gaskets like the OEM. When it's all said and done, I'll probably have $100 - 150 invested in it.

I installed it this past weekend. Everything went fairly smoothly. I couldn't get the circular gaskets out of the mating flanges on the exhaust pipes. They were smashed flush with the face of the flange, so I just left them. I cleaned up the flange mating surfaces with some emery cloth and then bolted it all back together with the new gaskets and bolts/nuts that I mostly had on hand.

The Walker converter has what I assume are heat shields welded directly to its body. I tried to reinstall the OEM heat shield for added protection, but it wouldn't fit.

On a somewhat related matter, I picked up a Gorilla Torch hands-free flashlight on clearance at Sports Authority this weekend. The feet are magnetic and the legs are bendable. I have a small Gorilla tripod that has been great. However, I was skeptical about the magnetic feet on this flashlight and also about its brightness. Surprisingly, the magnetic feet are quite strong, and it will stay right where you stick it. The LED is adjustable and uses 3 AA batteries. It came in very handy while I was finishing up the catalytic converter in the dark on Saturday night. Sports Authority had marked them down and also had an extra 50% off. I ended up paying $10.00 plus tax for it. I liked it so much I went back and bought another one yesterday.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When I replaced my catalytic converter this past weekend, this is what the oxygen sensor in the converter looked like when I removed it. Before replacing it, I wiped the carbon off it.

So far, no CEL or 0420.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
On a somewhat related matter, I picked up a Gorilla Torch hands-free flashlight on clearance at Sports Authority this weekend. The feet are magnetic and the legs are bendable. I have a small Gorilla tripod that has been great. However, I was skeptical about the magnetic feet on this flashlight and also about its brightness. Surprisingly, the magnetic feet are quite strong, and it will stay right where you stick it. The LED is adjustable and uses 3 AA batteries. It came in very handy while I was finishing up the catalytic converter in the dark on Saturday night. Sports Authority had marked them down and also had an extra 50% off. I ended up paying $10.00 plus tax for it. I liked it so much I went back and bought another one yesterday.
Wow, for $10 I get a couple too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the Walker 16457 Ultra EX Direct Fit, which is advertised as having "extra" precious metal loading versus the standard Ultra Direct Fit.

I paid $247.79 at RockAuto less the standard 5% discount. Additionally, there was a $40 Walker rebate in effect until the end of October, so I'll get that as well. Hopefully I can get a decent amount from scrapping the OEM converter. I had to buy gaskets to go along with the new converter. It doesn't use the circular gaskets like the OEM. When it's all said and done, I'll probably have $100 - 150 invested in it.

I installed it this past weekend. Everything went fairly smoothly. I couldn't get the circular gaskets out of the mating flanges on the exhaust pipes. They were smashed flush with the face of the flange, so I just left them. I cleaned up the flange mating surfaces with some emery cloth and then bolted it all back together with the new gaskets and bolts/nuts that I mostly had on hand.

The Walker converter has what I assume are heat shields welded directly to its body. I tried to reinstall the OEM heat shield for added protection, but it wouldn't fit.

Hi @kknh3 !

I was curious how the Walker 16457 is performing so far? My catalytic converter was stolen and I'm thinking of installing the same part as yours if it's long-term reliable.

OEM price is too high, especially compared to the car's market price.

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It is still in place and functioning normally with no issues. I don't know exactly, but I estimate it has around 150,000 miles on it. The van itself is around 323,000.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
With non-OEM catalytic converter, your P0420 will come back between 90-180 days. Do remember to make a post here after that time so that I can add another data point to my running statistics.
I'm at about the 7 year and 150,000 +/- point and haven't had a P0420 since I installed the non-OEM catalytic converter.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thanks for the follow up. Looks like you made out. Also, own 2001. 213,000 miles. Original Converter. Here in Calif.
I was told, by "smog inspection" person, We cannot use "after market" converter. Must be OEM. And we cannot even use "junkyard" oem converter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the follow up. Looks like you made out. Also, own 2001. 213,000 miles. Original Converter. Here in Calif.
I was told, by "smog inspection" person, We cannot use "after market" converter. Must be OEM. And we cannot even use "junkyard" oem converter.
That stinks! No such restrictions here in flyover country (Missouri).

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks for the update. I installed the same one 8 months and 20K miles ago along with two new o2 sensors. Everything is still running fine.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts