Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2001 odyssey LX and she surprises the heck out me. She has 310,700 miles and counting. Engine and transmission are still the original. With this kind of miles, the transmission shift smooth as if it’s new. I live in Wisconsin and I did 9 cross country trips through the rocky, desert, to the west coast and to the east coast, still running strong. Anyone has this same thing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congratulations. That is excellent and probably unmatched given the number of recalls on transmission.

I assume you have done very regular maintenance (oil, tranny fluid, plugs, timing belt, coolant, brakes & fluid, etc). I would be interested in knowing how often you did those and at what miles you changed timing belt.

Also did you add aftermarket tranny cooler, etc.

Did you tow?

Are most of these 310700 miles on freeways instead of stuck in city stop and go traffic?

Our 03 with no towing had many issues at 100k miles. Made me question reliability of Hondas in general and wants me to move away from them as I keep my vehicles for more than a decade and put less than 8000 miles a year. I do regular maintenance myself. Half of miles are within city and less than 10 miles each way which is bad for Odysseys I am told.

·
Registered
7 Posts
01 with 220k at the moment! Bought from a very nice local woman at 170k and its been awesome. Shifts to 2nd are a bit rough, so I baby that gear but otherwise its an awesome van.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First timing belt changed at 215k, include water pump and fresh coolant. I also did a coolant flush around 130k. City I live in population 40k but been through every major cities in the U.S. The van has been to Pikes Peak 3 times, Mount Evans one time, Rocky Mountain national park 5 times, and almost all the major national parks. I don’t tow. Ever since I own the van I have done a complete suspension work. All fluids replaced ones. Steep hills like Pikes peak I down shift manually, worked great on all gears. Surprised me. I done 2 50k miles transmission drain and fill, 2 30k miles drain and fill and I done 1 15k miles. To keep up with the life of the van, I’m doing 15k miles from now on until she decided to settle down, which I think it’s going to be awhile. Oh i also add a transmission cooler this past summer. It seems like the more I drive the longer it’s going to last.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info: iSpark plugs I replaced ones, catalytic converter replaced at 170k, valve adjustment during timing belt change at 215k. There were 2 occasions that I was a little nervous when The van had a little over at Joshua trees national park cause by leak at thermostat housing seal. I got it replaced at a auto part store then it was rolling again. The other was a random misfired, one coil was bad. Egr replaced and port cleaned. I use castrol gtx synthetic blend high mileage, just switch to castrol full synthetic high mileage the past 20k miles. I use Honda transmission fluid. Between 100k and 280k miles I used premium gas with no ethanol. Axle shafts still original, left from bearing quit at 295k miles, power steering hose leak at 280k miles, all engine mounts replaced along the way. The van visited shops were timing belt/valve adjustment and alignments. Everything else I bought the parts and my time. Turned out great.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Interesting. Original owner, 2001 LX. 214,000 miles. On 4th transmission. Tranny's 1 and 2, failed in the 40K miles range. Tranny 3, lasted a little over 50K. 4th tranny, currently has about 60K miles. On 4th tranny, I installed "magnifine" in line filter, and do a drain and fill every 7-8 K miles, (Honda oil). No cooler. Will see if this improves my odds.

Surprised you've had no tranny issues. :)

Oh, a friend of mine, put 330,000 miles on 1999/2000 ody. But was on his 3rd transmission.
Was still running, but "acting", up, so he replaced with newer model.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have an 04 with 311,101 miles on it with the original engine and transmission. It most certainly has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned with the only major repair work being a bad catalytic converter, alternator, power door cable snapped (fixed it for $15 following the instructions on here and youtube), ignition switch rebuilt and the AC compressor which was taken out by a plastic shopping bag that got wrapped around the shaft. Bulbs going out in the dash have been the really only annoyance. Obviously at this mileage the suspension has been replaced and the motor mounts have all been replaced once otherwise it has pretty much just been routine scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats on the milestone!

342,000 on my wife’s 01. About to change the timing belt and most of the seals. Just replaced the spark plugs, O2 sensors and cleaned the catalytic converter by spraying it with a generous amount of sea foam through the O2 sensor hole.
Bought her a 2016 CRV last month because the van was too big after the kids are all gone. Bought it in 2011 with 198k. Tranny was rebuilt at 175k by a local rebuild shop (paperwork was in the glovebox).
Since we had it I’ve had to replace the shocks and struts, rebuild starter and alternator, replace radiator, cap and thermostat. I added a Hayden trans cooler and magnefine filter in 2013 and I do a 3x drain and fill every 15k or once a year. Replace the magnefine every 30k.
Plan on giving to my eldest son that would kill a brand new car in about a month.. smh.. want to see if we can make it to 400k without any major issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: 01 odyssey lx 311,500 miles. Last week temperature drop to -25F, the radiator leaks/crack on top. The radiator is still the original. It surprises me when it’s going to go, then temperature drop and it went. I’m like like, it’s about time. Ordered a new one from AM-Auto part through eBay, I should get it next week. Now I’m taking the old one out and prepping until the new one arrive.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Update: 01 odyssey lx 311,500 miles. Last week temperature drop to -25F, the radiator leaks/crack on top. The radiator is still the original. It surprises me when it’s going to go, then temperature drop and it went. I’m like like, it’s about time. Ordered a new one from AM-Auto part through eBay, I should get it next week. Now I’m taking the old one out and prepping until the new one arrive.
Hopefully you bought a Koyo or Denso or another high quality one. I order a cheap LifeTime warranted one for my '03 and it didn't cool as well at high speed 75+mph during hot (95F+) weather on the freeway.
It is a PITA to change that radiator, at least it was for me.
Make sure you also change your radiator hoses if needed, the thermostat and new coolant. Much easier to do those now than it is later. (thermostat because the coolant was drained)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buffalo4, thanks. I already ordered one from AM-Auto and their quality seem to be good so far for me. If it turns out not cool enough I guess I will put a denso or better one on.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Best of luck.
Hopefully it will cool enough for your needs.
One good thing is that you will now have a clean ATF cooler tank in the bottom of the radiator instead of an old gunky one. :)
Are you removing the front bumper, grill etc to do the job? I did and it was sure as not as easy to replace that radiator in my '03 Ody as it was in my '55 Chev V8. That took much less than 1/2 hour, :D
Buffalo4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to remove the front bumper because I added a transmission cooler right in front of the a/c condenser. Beside, I think it’s easy this way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
262,000 on my 03 ex-l dvd. original motor and trans, new radiator, one used cooling fan, new starter, new PS pump, new alternator, new heater fan, new master clylinder, new valve cover gaskets. Only changed timing belt and water pump once at 205,000. Clock light don't work, neither backlight on the radio display works, dvd works 1 out of 10 times. Lock solenoid on drivers side sliding door don't work, cable on passenger side sliding door broke last winter. roof has leaked on both sides. have sealed both sides need to seal drivers side again. Have replaced cylinder #2 coil twice, other 5 are original. Starts and runs everyday and shifts perfect, it did get the 2nd gear cooling jet fix at about 3,000 miles. It has a new ignition switch and new airbags and SRS module. I have only towed 2000 lbs one time 1000 mile round trip. I run havoline 10W30 year round and Castrol High mileage trans fluid with a triple flush at 175,000 and just 3 quart drain and fills about every 40 K before and after. I just polished the headhight covers 2 months ago and the look like brandnew, they are original too. The plastic coating on my grill is a little puckered up as the van has never spent a night in a garage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joeh20, I’m glad I bought the LX MODEL so I didn’t have to deal with the power door and all the other extra stuffs. I do believe some about the LX model that is different from the higher trims, less maintenance. My is doing so good so awhile back my brother when and bought a 2001 EX model with 145k, now it’s 214k with original transmission and engine. He had to deal with power doors and a few other things than mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: so the new radiator arrived yesterday, put it in, top off coolant and transmission fluid and I let it ran for about an hour so far so good. No leak. I’m going to double check the fluids this morning, let run again for awhile and drive and see how it goes. Engine sounds really good after putting the new radiator last night. Turned van on, sounded really good. Ran for 45 minutes, drove to church service and so far so good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts