Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has 260,000 miles. I have a steering wheel shake that has been occurring at random speeds. I first noticed it only at 60 mph and now it is occurring at 20 mph and 60 mph. I have also noticed the shaking sometimes reduces or stops when I turn the wheel slightly or am going around a corner. The struts, stabilizer bar and outer tie rods have been replaced. I have had a recent alignment and wheel balancing (road force). I’ve described it to my mechanic and he thinks it is the tires. I’m not so sure, but I had the balancing check two more times. Still no change. I’m suspicious of CV joints. I occasionally hear some clicks while turning, but it is quite faint.

·
Registered
130 Posts
How are the wheels? If they are bent even the best balancing job won't stop the shake.
Put the car up on the jack to a front wheel is off the ground and rotate by hand. Look for bent rims and tires that are not round.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Also try swapping the wheels front to back.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Also try swapping the wheels front to back.
Yes, definitely the easiest test.
I'd also take a look at the lower control arms, specifically the rear "compliance bushing" in that control arm. Looks like a little donut, pointing straight up. Some surface cracking in that is normal, but if it deteriorated beyond that, it may be allowing too much movement. And the weird intermittent shaking is due to periodically triggering the dynamic instability that the loose bushing creates. Most of the time it will stay straight, but if it ever bumps out of center, it will rattle around, using the energy of vehicle motion to keep it going.

·
Registered
252 Posts
CV axles. Search my previous posts about CV axles. You'll find a step-by-step process for diagnosing the CV axles. They can be bad WITHOUT exhibiting the clicking/popping symptoms evaluated by the "tight slow turns in a parking lot" test.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can also check the axles by grabbing the shafts and seeing if they have play in and out when you push/pull them toward the trans or tires. Twist them and there should be no movement when you twist them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts