Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all hello to the forum. I bought a 2001 odyssey a couple of months back and very worried about the sliding doors. I have done some search on the forum and found lots of threads on door not latching properly etc. etc.

The problem here is that when the sliding doors start closing they wont stop for safety reason if a person or object is in the way. You have to really really push very hard on it while it is closing to stop it from closing. Pulling on door handle also doesn't stop the sliding door.

This seems like a pretty dangerous problem especially if there are children in the way and event adults. Is this a common problem or an isolated one? Are there any known solutions to this problem? If yes, what?

Thank you for your response, much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
...The problem here is that when the sliding doors start closing they wont stop for safety reason if a person or object is in the way. You have to really really push very hard on it while it is closing to stop it from closing. Pulling on door handle also doesn't stop the sliding door.
So, you're saying they won't stop at all, but then you say they do if you push on it? Just a little confusing.

They will reverse direction if you use the dash-mounted buttons to halt movement.

OF

·
Registered
355 Posts
They will stop with either the buttons on the dash or by grabbing either the inner or outer handle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, you're saying they won't stop at all, but then you say they do if you push on it? Just a little confusing.
OF
sorry if i wasn't clear. When the door is closing it WILL reverse direction but only if you really push very hard on it... a child surely won't have that much strength and this is dangerous. The door should be more sensitive. I can compare to a Toyota Sienna which certainly does not require so much pressure to reverse the closing of the sliding door.

They will reverse direction if you use the dash-mounted buttons to halt movement.
OF
the door will stop but won't actually reverse the direction. But what if you're not sitting the driver's seat or standing by the driver side to reach the button. I experimented today again and pulled the door handle while it was closing, it neither stopped the door nor reverse the direction.

So,

My main issue would be the force that the door requires to reverse its closing operation. Is there any sensor or any other mechanical part that might be adjusted/replaced to reduce the level of force?

By the way I did some searching on google and found this site 1999 Honda Odyssey Door Complaints . Scroll to the bottom and you will see some similar complaints which leads me to believe that I may not be the only one with this issue. For example:

- The automatic sliding doors on the honda odyssey are advertised as having the ability to stop when confronted with an obstacle , but they clearly do not and will easily crush anything that gets in their path. This is a horrible design for any vehicle but unthinkable and unforgivable in a vehicle designed to transport children.

- The sliding automatic door retracter requires to much pressure to retract. Please give any further details.

- Putting a child in the car seat accidently hit the automatic lock on the key chain and sliding door began to close. Applied pressure to keep it from closing, but it failed. Had to move out of the way. Manual states that if a power sliding door runs into any obstacle while it is closing, door will stop and then reverse direction. Contacted dealer , and they contacted manufacturer. Manufacturer said it is supposed to work like this.

- Electronic doors close to easily, key to sensitive, child/adult can easily be squeezed in doorwell, told by sales that doors would operate like garage or elevator doors

- The rebound feature on the automatic sliding door did not work as specified in the brochure, when the door handle on the rear passenger side was accidentally pulled while passenger was entering the vehicle the door began to close and hit the passenger in the shoulder, door continued to close.

etc..

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Don't know if they "will easily crush anything that gets in their path". Sounds like hyperbole. My SIL's Sienna pushes out about the same amount of force as my 2001 exhibited before either of them did the reversal trick. It seems our 2002 & 2003 need a just a tiny-little-bit-less push to cause the doors to change their minds.

Just hit the button twice for the respective door. Once to halt, once to reverse.

Are you saying it doesn't reverse at all, and actually crushes things like skateboards, arms & such? I've seen that door motor when I de-paneled the interior of our 2002 EX once. It's pretty tiny, with not a lot of mechanical advantage.

OF

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I first got my Honda they were more sensitive but now I have the same problem? I am not positive but I thought I was told by a service rep that it can be adjusted still checking it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe (and I may be wrong) that the reverse only occurs in the last 1/3 of travel. You can halt the doors from the remote if am not mistaken either....

·
Registered
13 Posts
The test for garage door reversal is if it reverses before it crushes the center tube of a new roll of paper towels. Try that test.
Just a quick correction - the reversal test for a garage door is a whole roll of paper towels - not just the center tube (from the link you provided). When I read your comment, my first thought was "no way a garage door would reverse on a center tube..."

From the site you linked to:
"With the door open, place a roll of paper towels layed flat, on the floor in the door’s path at approximately the center of the door."

Our 2004 Odyssey door reverses with very little pressure applied - in fact, it will stop sometimes if it isn't properly lubricated and there's enough back-pressure to trigger the sensor.

If I had to make an educated guess, there's probably a sensor that senses how much power is being used to drive the motor that closes the door. If the amount of power required changes (such as when the back-pressure increases due to obstacle), this would trigger the stop. So, there's got to be a bad sensor in there, in my estimation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts