Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Odyssey with just over 200,000km on it. The tranny was replaced at 90,000km or (previous owner). This week has been extremly cold -25C (-15F). When I start the vehicle in the cold and shift into drive, the transmission does not engage, when you apply the gas the revs go up and that's it. If I let it warm up a while reverse seems to kick in and eventually drive will work. I drove around tonight for approx 40km once the vehicle warmed up and everything seemed fine, shifiting was smooth and normal. I recently had a transmission leak fixed about 2 months ago. Could this be related to the problem that I am having? I haven't noticed and leaks from it since the repair was done and I am not sure what sort of fluid may have been used.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
My first shifts can be delayed (especially 1 to 2 shift) with a cold start in the winter as well. I am no transmission expert but soon I will experiment with the replacement of the 2nd Gear Pressure Switch to see if it improves that particular shift. My rationale is that this switch looses its functionability over time. Others on here have replaced with good results. The part is $50 (via a USA online vendor) and may promote the longevity of the transmission. Cheap insurance is what I am hoping.

You could also have debris in the solenoid screens and as the ATF is cold it may reduce the solenoids function until it warms up.

These are just opinions on my part and does not represent an expert analysis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts