Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, the gas pedal ha become sticky when initially pressing it, have to push hard to get it to move & can't regulate throttle at very lowest pedal.
I shot some lube on the pivot point, cable & throttle body linkage & shaft. This sort of helped for a very short time.
My concern is it may be the throttle body bushings & I see no replacements or parts available in the parts guides. I'd hate to have to replace the throttle body at $500.
Anyone tackled this one?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Did you operate the throttle by hand (at the throttle linkage with the car off) to see if you can feel it sticking (hence ruling out a binding cable)?

Anyway, a possible problem is the classic one of the throttle plate sticking/binding due to "crud".

Here is an example:

http://www.hondalac.com/service/Bulletins/x01-004e.pdf

In this bulletin they talk about it just happening on first startup, but it can happen repeatably if there is enough build-up.

B-12 Chemtool will quickly remove any gunk (it is much better than any other carburetor or throttle body cleaners I've tried):

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/ProductsInfo/AssortedAerosols.aspx

Sometimes it will be said to not use a carburetor cleaner - only a throttle body cleaner. I believe this applies to cases in which a coating has been applied which might be removed by a strong carburetor cleaner. But in the above bulletin Honda is calling for use of a carburetor cleaner, so likely just fine here. (But double check.)

You might not need to remove the throttle body (personally I would not - but I don't want to bias your judgement on this). If you choose not to remove it then - after you remove the air intake duct leading up to the throttle body, give a quick (short) spray of cleaner with the butterfly CLOSED, and then open the butterfly and use a rag to wipe around - getting the edge of the butterfly as well as the housing as best possible. You might want to put a rag partially in the bore to contain backspray. I use the straw that comes with the cleaner and give short bursts focused on the edge and near the linkage/pivot - it seems to run a bit behind the butterfly and dissolve things on the back lip that's hard to reach. I work my way around in steps, making sure I don't spray too much at any one time. Alternatively, you could try just using a wetted rag (or a long Q-tip or whatever) directly - but my guess is the controlled "spray and wipe" will be superior.

This might work fine if in fact the plate is sticking do to crud, but the crud is not too bad. But obviously you won't be able to clean the butterfly, etc. as well as if you take off the throttle body.

Anyway, just a thought. When you have a look in there you will be able to tell whether deposits/varnish might be causing the trouble.

Haven't had this issue with my 2001, but have with other cars. Since I haven't done it on the Ody, not sure whether that caution they give for the Accord (spray only one way) has any bearing on trying to clean without removing the throttle body (if you are using controlled short sprays). Have a look and see. You might decide it is just easier/safer to remove (or partially remove) the thing... As mentioned above, personally I would give it a careful go first without removing the TB, and then re-evaluate. But check it out for yourself.

Good luck. I hope it turns out to be something simple like this. If not, then it will be on to the next possibility...

EDIT: As for B12 Chemtool... My BIL had a terrible buildup of stuff in the throttle body of his 2001 Suburban. We took the thing off. He had some carb cleaner (STP I think) which we tried - even scrubbing with a soft brass brush (the kind that looks like a toothbrush) - and it was slow going. I suggested we get some Chemtool. The stuff came off immediately when we sprayed on the B12 - no exaggeration.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
sticking throttle body is a REAL common problem with Hondas. Easy to clean. It's a regular maintenance item.

Not rocket science.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
correct, was the throttle body sticking. used tb cleaner, pedal nice & free now. but may have to remove the IAC to clean it. some of the fluid and junk washed into the hle leading to it. now have a jumping idle after a minute or so. should have not sprayed so much & did more wiping with the rag. just hope it is not the MAP sensor. i have needed to uuse a obd-ii scanner several times recently for the ody & a couple of cars & may buy one to look at the sensors before buying any parts.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It will likely work out OK. You can remove the IAC and give it a cleaning (if the problem doesn't just go away in a day or so). It might go away. I would like to say that it most likely will go away...

Anyway, give it a day or two. Then if things don't settle down you can think about taking off that IAC and "blowing it out" with carburetor cleaner. Might be a good move anyway. They do get "gunked up" themselves and cause some idle problems. Typically those problems show up with the AC on - but l'd suggest just keeping an eye on things over the next few days and then diagnose further. Not sure of the situation (i.e. whether it is the IAC or something else), but feel confident it can be worked out OK with just a bit of thought and a little effort. At least hoping so. And the gurus of Odyclub will likely jump in and help if your problem persists. But I don't think you caused any real (long term) problems with your cleaning of the TB - if there are some side issues then they can be dealt with.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it actually runs better with the a/c on, runs nice & even at 800 rpm. the wife ususally drives with it on & hopefully the IAC will "self cleanse" in the next day or so. thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2001 Odyssey with 219k miles and have been experiencing the same symptoms. The pedal was a bit harder to push and would sort of jump up in RPM rather than a smooth rise in RPM as the pedal pressure was increased. I had replaced the EGR valve and cleaned the intake manifold & IAC due to a previous problem so I new these were not the source of the sticky throttle behavior. I removed the throttle cable (very simple task) and lubricated the cable using a lithium spray grease. Re-installed and problem was corrected however only briefly (just a few hrs of driving). I replaced the cable with a new one from Bernardi Honda (about $8 plus shipping). The throttle is now very smooth. I recommend anyone with this type of problem to just replace the cable. It's easy and inexpensive. Study the new cable to understand how the white clip snaps off the pedal linkage. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a slightly old thread, but... I am having the exact same problem, and I've tried the advice listed here with no luck.

2001 Honda Odyssey, just bought for the wife with 157,000 miles on it.

Pedal is difficult to press down from idle, and has a "gritty" feeling to it. My wife doesn't want to drive it until I get it fixed... it's pretty jumpy.

Here's what I've done:

Lubed the cables thoroughly (using a cable lube clamp)
Oiled the pedal pivot (can't hurt)
Cleaned the throttle body thoroughly (I'd eat soup out of it on a dare)
Disconnected the cruise control cable just out of curiosity

...nothing has helped. What's odd is that the pedal feels fine when the engine is OFF. It's only while the engine is running that it becomes difficult to press down.

This is my first post here, and I'm sorry if I put it in the wrong place. I am very interested to hear anyone's ideas / suggestions. Please, make mama happy!! :D

(I got brownie points for cleaning out the blocked EGR port and making the "check engine" light go away, but she's still grumpy about the pedal...)

Thanks in advance,
David

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sticky Throttle

Read my post located just before yours. The low friction lining of the throttle cable is worn out. You need to replace it and all will be fine again. The cable is not expensive and easily replaced. Just replace it. You'll be glad with the results.:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had to clean my throttle body intake 3 times before it started working properly, did all the stuff you did in between. YMMV

·
Registered
81 Posts
The cable is worn out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, thank you both for the prompt response. I was sure I'd have to wait a long time before anyone found me in this old thread, if ever. You made my day. :)

I'm ordering a new cable now (from Bernardi) and will definitely try that.

But why does it seem so much worse when the engine is running? Is it just because there's more resistance (airflow through the TB)?

P.S. Great avatar.... everything needs more cowbell. :DD

·
Registered
81 Posts
I figure the friction is the same. It's just that you need to move the throttle plate in very small increments when idling to get a large change in rpm and this gives the perception of being more difficult.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, I just wanted to post back and let you know the new cable solved the problem completely. I was skeptical, but you were right. :) It's smooth as silk now. (And having a whistle-clean throttle body is still a good thing, so I'm glad I did that, too...)

Should I put any kind of lubricant on the new cable, or is it designed to work fine without it?

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Replaced the cable

Don't lubricate. That would just collect more grit and cause premature failure. Glad I was able help. Hopefully others will follow this simple fix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
part #

Can anyone provide the honda part number for the cable? It would make ordering this part easier. Having the same problem...

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I finally got around to replacing the throttle cable on my van. That may be the best fix I've had under $20. Nice and smooth, gonna have to retrain myself on driving the beast. Replaced it in 15 mins too.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Mine works fine...for now. What is involved in replacing the throttle cable, odyinNH? For 15 mins and a few bucks, worth doing just 'cuz (next time I order parts).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts