Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2001 transmission is failing. It whines loudly in 3rd and 4th gear. Our local Honda dealer says it needs to be replaced, but did not read any failure codes. The dealers Honda rep refused any assistance and so did Honda America. Is there more I can do or am I out of luck? The car has 107K miles, all transmission service done at Honda of Concord, NC at 30K, 60K and 90K. I am the origional owner.

Help Please!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Some folks have mentioned that switching to synthetic tranny fluid quiets down some noise. May be worth a try. Search for synthetic or Amzoil and you'll get some hits. I may go this route at my next drain & fill.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That both the local rep and H of A refused to help is not good news! I've got 82xxx miles and still going strong on the original trans. According to my owners link page I'm still under the extended warranty.

Did you have your trans replaced somewhere back? You don't mention that and your service history would seem to suggest you've got your original trans.

Hope I can keep mine going or maybe it would be better if it failed before 1000000. Good luck with your van and keep us posted as to what Honda does for you.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
kvs01ex said:
That both the local rep and H of A refused to help is not good news! I've got 82xxx miles and still going strong on the original trans. According to my owners link page I'm still under the extended warranty.

Did you have your trans replaced somewhere back? You don't mention that and your service history would seem to suggest you've got your original trans.

Hope I can keep mine going or maybe it would be better if it failed before 1000000. Good luck with your van and keep us posted as to what Honda does for you.
Honda is clamping down. A coworker of mine only has about 80K on his 2003 and lost his tranny about 4 weeks back. Honda quoted him almost $5K and agreed to fund about 2K. He sent a letter to a director at Honda America and the same Honda rep called back and told him about the letter and told him the offer still stands but Honda cannot do anything more.

On top of that, this week, my BIL called. His 2001's tranny is toast. He has the CEL and P0740 and P1676 codes. He hasn't taken the Oddy in to a Honda Stealership yet. His Indy told him to take it in to confirm its the tranny. Honda's feeling the economy's pinch and claming down on these payouts I suppose.

BTW OP, my coworker has gone to Hendrick Honda on South Blvd and has been dealing with the Honda America case manager called Gus. I dealt with the same guy last year. Is your H of A contact the same guy Gus?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, we are still on our original transmission. It has not actually failed yet, no lights or codes, but the whine in 3rd and 4th gear is reason enough to replace it according to Honda of Concord. Not sure of the reps name, but I will be over there later this week or early next week with a little more of an attitude after being totally turned down by H of A.

BTW, Honda of Concord quoted $4500 for the new tranny. Kelly Blue Book says the van is only worth $6330.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
You mean you haven't personally called H of A? I recommend you do that. Honda of Concord is a good dealership so I have heard as a few of my coworkers living in North Charlotte go there but I'd still try my luck directly with Honda.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called H of A and talked to a very sweet young lady who took all my info, put me on hold and 2 minutes later said sorry, you get nothing............

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Didn't Honda extend the warranty coverage on the transmissions? (I should know, but can't remember the details of how long it was extended.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as I can tell the warranty is something like 109K and around 8 years. We are under 108K but over the number of years. So basically the way I see it, because we didn't drive it as much as others, Honda won't help out on a known vehicle defect.

Honda of concord wants $4500, Aamco offered to rebuild it for less than $2500 with a 3 year warranty. I'm thinking I'll fix it and sell it. No more Hondas for me. Wife will be driving a Sienna next.

·
Registered
72 Posts
From my owners link page;

American Honda is announcing a warranty extension for the automatic transmission on all 2000-01 Accords, Odysseys, and Preludes. The automatic transmission and torque converter are now covered for a total of 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date of original sale. We are providing this warranty extension because a higher than normal number of automatic transmissions in certain vehicles may have problems due to defects in material or workmanship beyond the 3-year, 36,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty.

I knew I was beyond the years but was hoping in case of failure that the low mileage would have some consideration. All in all it's been a good vehicle for us so we can't complain. Maybe have to think about selling/trading it before anything happens.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
mtnc said:
Honda of concord wants $4500, Aamco offered to rebuild it for less than $2500 with a 3 year warranty. I'm thinking I'll fix it and sell it. No more Hondas for me. Wife will be driving a Sienna next.
Sorry to hear that.

What's odd is that last year, my second tranny in the Accord, the Honda Warranty cost was $2700 and non-warranty, out of pocket cost was $2900 for a 2001 V6 Accord tranny. This was at Hendrick Honda on South Blvd. Not sure why its $4500 for the 2001 Oddy.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Well, doing the 4x drain and fill with the Honda Z1 ATF or even with the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc AT fluid would be worth a try.
Most folks on the Honda forums recommend using the Z1 fluid but some others have had luck with the Valvoline MaxLife.
Maxlife is around half the cost.
To do a 4x drain and fill, it takes around 13qts.
Some folks even had better luck by doing that and also cleaning the solenoid valves.
You will have to search to see how to do those things.
Buffalo4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts