Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the original owner of a 2001 Odyssey with 196k. Replaced the transmission at 116k. I'm looking at 2003 with 55k. Owner is asking 8k. I'm thinking it might be good to sell the 01 before it hits 200k but not sure I want to get into possible 03 transmission issues. I know both years have had issues - is one year more trouble than the other? Are the replacements for the 03's holding up better than the 01 replacements? Would you buy the 03 or see how far the 01 will go?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I'd drive the 2001 until the trans goes. Then at that time (as you are saving up $ while you are still driving the 2001), buy the newest Odyssey or Sienna you can.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I agree with New Dad, unless it has become a money pit just put the money away that you would have spent on the 03. You're not gaining enough unless you get into the better years. Your van isn't worth all that much now anyway so if the tranny goes it will be worth a bit less but someone would probably still pay a grand for it. That 03 is probably due for a timing belt soon, is yours?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'd definatly go for the 03 for $8k, that sounds like a great deal. You could probably sell the 01 for $3k+ so that's a difference of only $5k. People have spent more on rebuilding their tranny!!
Think of all the other nickel/dime stuff that will go bad with the "01.
My "00 is falling apart and it's only got 135K, the tranny/engine is still good though (knock. knock). Not sure how everyone is getting up to 200K with only a few problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the timing belt early the fist time (92k) so I'm due. Mine also needs one motor mount, tires, egr needs cleaning..... something else I'm forgetting....... Probably will need to do $1300 worth of work to it soon. My thought was if I could get 3k for it and save the repair bill it might be worth it. The 03 has new tires........ But a mechanic told me that, I should change the timing belt on the 03 because of age. He also said that he'd fewer transmission problems on the 03's. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts