Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about trading in our 2001 EX canadian model in for a 2002 EXL-Navi because of all the good things I've heard about the navi and to get the 2002 upgrades and leather seats. (Also to get the US warranty instead of the aftermarket one we have on our 2001 canadian model)

I'm interested in the pros and cons of the value of the navi system along with feedback on the value of the 2002 upgrades like the larger motor, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc.

btw:The dealer's offer will cost me about $7K to upgrade.

------------------
~~~
Bob

·
1,484 Posts
Hmm...it 'might' not cost you as much to upgrade as you think.

Here's how I look at it...

Pros:
- You'll get the NAVI (that technically takes off $2000)
- You'll have the Honda Warranty (it's more of a 'piece of mind' thing than a money thing)
- You'll have a US Model (same reason as having the Honda warranty)
- More Horsepower, Airbags, Brakes (I'm sure that's a couple of thousand if you went w/ aftermarket stuff)

Con:
- Having to work with a Dealer...ugh!
(although this mainly depends on your dealer's personality
)

Good luck on whatever you decide,
-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good points...

I'm still wondering...Do you think the navi is worth it?
Does it perform well?
Also, If I upgrade, I'll need to change my username

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Hmm...it 'might' not cost you as much to upgrade as you think.

Here's how I look at it...

Pros:
- You'll get the NAVI (that technically takes off $2000)
- You'll have the Honda Warranty (it's more of a 'piece of mind' thing than a money thing)
- You'll have a US Model (same reason as having the Honda warranty)
- More Horsepower, Airbags, Brakes (I'm sure that's a couple of thousand if you went w/ aftermarket stuff)

Con:
- Having to work with a Dealer...ugh!
(although this mainly depends on your dealer's personality
)

Good luck on whatever you decide,
-Nestor

</font>

------------------
~~~
Bob

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Any thought about selling you 2001 outright? If the market in your area is good, you might gain another 1 or 2K to the good that way!

·
1,484 Posts
First off, you might want to research more into finding out how detailed the DVD coverage is for your area. Although since you’re in Seattle it’s probably good coverage.

But for me IMHO, it is worth it. One way to describe it is it’s a ‘Practical Toy’. It’s performs very well and is very easy to use.

Cool things about it:
- Spoken voice directions (ex. In about ½ a mile exit on your right, turn left, etc.)
- Automatically re-calculates the directions when you go off the designated NAVI route. (ex. Construction detours)
- Can search by address, phone number, or category (restaurant, gas, shopping)
- Touchscreen and Joystick controllable.

As for the Cons:
- Manual A/C controls is a screen displayed interface. Not really a big deal since there’s the Auto A/C. Just expect that’s its difficult to manually control the A/C while driving.
- On a sunny day the screen is difficult to see at certain angles.
- Can not ‘easily’ upgrade your stereo headunit. It’s possible - but involves extra stuff.
- The in-dash screen is very cool but can be also distracting while driving. Just get in the habit of not looking at it while driving.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nwf_snake: Thanks for the idea however if I sell it myself I will have to pay the tax on the whole amount of the new 2002 instead just the difference. btw: sales tax here is 8.9%

nemogira: Thanks for the user feedback. Sounds like the navi is well worht it! I've told the salesman to go ahead and find one. Hope this does not take tooo long...
btw: Has honda updated the DVD data disc since the navi was first available in 2000?

------------------
~~~
Bob

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2001aRoadOdyssey:
btw: Has honda updated the DVD data disc since the navi was first available in 2000?

</font>
They have available upgrades every year for $150. But you are under NO obligation to buy it. Mine is still from 2000 and it hasn’t gotten me lost yet. Although it is missing the newly built roads and streets.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a White EXL-NAVI $250 over.

I simply love it. The only thing about NAVI is the Voice of the Oriental Lady, can hardly tell what she is mumbling sometimes.
Any idea how I can get a different voice, one with a clearer accent?

As for the Van itself, Heavy, Solid, and very Quiet Ride. Very impresive for a Van.

Con: Clunking noise on the Driver side sliding door as it end its journey when opened?? Any Comments?

Over all < I am one happy camper...

------------------
EXL Strugller

·
1,484 Posts
Alpine distributes all the Honda/Acura Navigation discs. You can either order it through the dealer or online: https://esales1.alpine-usa.com/dos/honda/dvdrom.htm

I'm not sure if Navtech is involved. I remember someone mentioning something about it before. Although if they were involved they should've been able to cover the whole US. I've heard that Navtech is working Lexus.

EXL Strugller, now that you mention it she does sort of sound like an Asian-American. Not that I would want to change it but that is a great idea.

Hey, since my Ody is built in Canada she should sound like a Canadian..."U-turn up a head, ey?"

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback!
The dealer just called and is expecting a
2002EXL-Navi starlight silver in the next 10 days. I was hoping for the granite green however the SS is nice as well. My only reservation is that I've heard that the SS paint can have problems...Is it still a problem and what is the major complaint? Blotches?? Also, Does it hold up as well as the other colors?
Thanks..

------------------
~~~
Bob

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2001aRoadOdyssey:
Thanks for all the feedback!
The dealer just called and is expecting a
2002EXL-Navi starlight silver in the next 10 days. I was hoping for the granite green however the SS is nice as well. My only reservation is that I've heard that the SS paint can have problems...Is it still a problem and what is the major complaint? Blotches?? Also, Does it hold up as well as the other colors?
Thanks..

</font>
Swirls and blotches, I think? Not sure if this is still an issue. Although you should have the right to refuse any new vehicle with a paint defect. Also, I think someone reported about seeing defects with a Granite Green Ody too. Which ever color you go with just make sure you check it before hand.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
I thought everybody is so concern about safety, but why are we care about the 30 extra horse so much on the 2002 Odyssey or any minivan. When you have a full load of kids, I thought it would be safer to keep the Odyssey on the slower side. To me, more horses convert to faster driver and more safety hazard. If I want a fast car, I'll get a sport car which is built for speed. For a minivan, 170-210 horses is more than enough power as long it have all the safety feature built-in (airbags, abs, etc.) to haul family around safely in a timely manor. If you want more power for hauling or offroad, get the SUV. Remember, speed kill......!

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's just crazy talk!
More HP isn't just for going faster. Actually it can be much safer with more power. i.e. The times that you need to get out of the way on the highway.. or merge quick etc. etc.

I'm not saying you need to trade in a perfect 99-01 ODY for an 02 but don't belittle the people who crave the added HP or the smoother 5sp auto tranny!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Coleman_lot:
I thought everybody is so concern about safety, but why are we care about the 30 extra horse so much on the 2002 Odyssey or any minivan. When you have a full load of kids, I thought it would be safer to keep the Odyssey on the slower side. To me, more horses convert to faster driver and more safety hazard. If I want a fast car, I'll get a sport car which is built for speed. For a minivan, 170-210 horses is more than enough power as long it have all the safety feature built-in (airbags, abs, etc.) to haul family around safely in a timely manor. If you want more power for hauling or offroad, get the SUV. Remember, speed kill......!</font>

·
Registered
579 Posts
Why do you think United States post up the speed limit sign? I don't think they put it up to make the street look more attractive. They put it out there to keep the speed at a safer driving level. For example: you crash into a tree at 5 mph compare to 50 mph. At which speed do you think would have more damage?

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
$700 is pretty good price for it. Where can I get for that price? Any lead?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Coleman_lot:
$700 is pretty good price for it. Where can I get for that price? Any lead?</font>
I did a search after reading your post and others, on googles, found a review on the StreetPilot III and it has links to bunch of dealers with best price(had links to people up North also) i looked at few and all were selling them for $779 or $769 and some with free shipping, here in the link to the review: http://www.gpsinformation.net/spiii/sp3review.htm on place that intrested me most was due to optional memory card, it goes all the way upto 128megs, and they have price with 128megs install so if you were look for bigger flash card it would be worth it to buy it with bigger memory card.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While the StreetPilot III sounds like an excellent portable option it falls short of the Honda integrated system. Honda's system has a larger screen size, touch screen, integrated vehicle speed and position sensors, large on-board upgradeable DVD database on tap and integrated voice directions that mute the radio. Also, there are powerful search options like find by telephone number made possible by the large available database. Portable units like the Garmin require you to have a PC or laptop to download data from a CD to the GPS for the area you are travelling to ahead of time...
I have a portable GPS I used for awhile with my laptop and I can tell you that the difference is like carrying a boombox in your car instead of using the in-dash audio system. The boombox can crank out the tunes but it's a pain in the A.. to have this box in the way all the time and you are more inclined to just leave it home!

------------------
~~~
Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts