Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Has your '02 or '03 Odyssey had tranny failures.

• Yes

Votes: 225 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 320 58.7%

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
***Bump***
Don't want this thread to get lost.;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
02 tranny failure

Our 02 tranny failed at 62k. The dealer referred me to a regional corporate representative. After much discussion they agreed to replace the tranny for $500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my first post... but i've been studying odyclub for some time for all of the useful information... i felt compelled to officially join so that i can share my experience with my trans. failure: 2002 EX with 67,000 miles. trans started slipping between 2nd and 3rd gears (tach climbing without matching acceleration). went to my Honda dealer and made appointment. 3 days later i received a factory new transmission. the trans. and all the related labor was completely covered by Honda. i was prepared for a fight but never had to say a word. thanks Criswell Honda, Germantown MD. !!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
03 tranny failures

My "03 LX bought new has 82K on it and has been in twice to the dealer since then. There was a recall on the trans, this is the first year for the 5 speed auto I was told, and 2nd gear wasn't getting enough lube so they checked that and told me if it goes out up to 100K I would be covered. There hasn't been any problems with the trans at all. The other visit, by the way was for the jerking at highway speeds that turned out to be an EGR valve, under warranty at 73K since its covered to 80K I believe.
Nomadman

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello -

I have a '02 EX with 57k miles. My wife is the main driver and she shuttles our three kids to school and their activities. Mix in a couple of trips a year to Tahoe and San Diego (we live in the Bay Area) and you have the extent of what the 57k consists of.

Super Bowl Sunday, we were driving back home from our snack run and we're going up the hill to our house. Well, when the Ody starts to shirt gears, nothing happens and the engine starts revving higher, I don't feel the gears engaging, so I take my foot off the gas. Noticed that both the TCS and check engine light went on. Continued up the hill in first gear and when we got to a flat portion of the hill, I try to give it some gas. Same thing, gears not shifting, engine revving.

Brought it to the dealer on Monday morning, they checked it out, got a call from them mid mornnig to tell me that I need a new tranny. They said my VIN # was not part of the tranny recall, but the service manager had called Honda to get the repair taken care of gratis. They also provided me with a rental car free as well.

Fast forward to today, we have a rebuilt tranny in the van and it's running smooth.

Brought the car in Monday, they were done Thursday morning.

Overall, a bad experience turned good

·
Registered
859 Posts
'Bump'

Don't want this thread buried.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 02 Ody just had its transmission fail @ 64k; 7 years of service. Slippage between 2nd and 3rd gears, along with a clunk in the reverse gear. Turns out the rear engine mount had to be replaced as well (Front mount was replaced a year ago). Honda kicked in 75% of the transmission cost as goodwill, and the bill with the rear mount was still $1200.

·
Registered
71 Posts
nategcollins said:
Just had my 2nd transmission installed at 105,000,
first one was replaced at 30,800.

2003 Ody
That's why I traded my 02 in at 100K. My extended warranty was up and I was nerveous. My first tranny was replaced at just under 30K.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kscha41 said:
What did you end up buying?
We are still an all Honda Family. I have an 08 Accord LX-P and my wife has an 07 CRV. I miss the Ody but the kids are bigger and we don't need the room as much as when they were little. There are only four uf us. The Accord was also considerably cheaper and gets better mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loud thump going into reverse 1st time on cold mornings

Had the first transmission replaced at about 60000 with a new factory transmission. Now at 138000 I get a loud thump that seems to come from the transmission as soon as I put the trans in reverse for the first time when I back the car out of the garage on a cold morning. The colder it is the louder the thump and it only happens once. I can put it into reverse again and it won't happen the 2nd time. Warming up the car a little in park before backing out doesn't seem to help much and I've had the transmission fluid replaced with no luck. Transmission repair shops said the problem didn't seem familiar ( I did't leave it with them to check in the morning) and a garage thought the reason it didn't do it the 2nd time was that the transmission pump filled up the chambers when I put it in reverse??? I think the 2nd transmission is about ready to bite the dust. I had a 100000 mile warranty on it and Honda replaced the first one without cost ( but it wasn't without a lot of hassle) Any ideas or suggestions. :(

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I suggest you check your motor mounts (all 3 of them) for engine movement making the noise when shifting in reverse.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Loud thump going into reverse 1st time on cold mornings

dadspet said:
Had the first transmission replaced at about 60000 with a new factory transmission. Now at 138000 I get a loud thump that seems to come from the transmission as soon as I put the trans in reverse for the first time when I back the car out of the garage on a cold morning. The colder it is the louder the thump and it only happens once. I can put it into reverse again and it won't happen the 2nd time. Warming up the car a little in park before backing out doesn't seem to help much and I've had the transmission fluid replaced with no luck. Transmission repair shops said the problem didn't seem familiar ( I did't leave it with them to check in the morning) and a garage thought the reason it didn't do it the 2nd time was that the transmission pump filled up the chambers when I put it in reverse??? I think the 2nd transmission is about ready to bite the dust. I had a 100000 mile warranty on it and Honda replaced the first one without cost ( but it wasn't without a lot of hassle) Any ideas or suggestions. :(
My first tranny did the same thing. It also made a funny chirping sound at 30 MPH.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Add me to the growing list of tranny failures. '02 with 104k miles. Exact same symptoms as everybody else - ended up limping into the dealer. They wanted $4500 to fix. When I stopped laughing, I told them no way, see what Honda will do. Honda offered $1000 towards the $4500. I said thanks but no thanks. Even if they had offered to fix it for free, I didn't want the car anymore - based on all the people who've had replacement trannys fail. My Ody is "dead to me". So I found a sales guy and worked a very good deal (which more than compensated me for the dead transmission) and bought a 2009 Civic EX coupe. Lot smaller of course, but a sweet car. I got a stick too - not too confident in Honda's automatics. I miss the room, but I'll save a ton on gas and the Civic is really a fun car to drive - especially with the stick.

I really thought I had dodged a bullet when I passed 100k. Guess you can't escape the inevitable. It's a shame, I really loved my van. I did dodge a different bullet though. I was due for timing belt service, new tires, and new brakes - all of which I was going to do in the next month. I'm really glad it died BEFORE I spent all that money.

So a kind warning to other '02 (and possibly '03 and '04 too) owners - if you make it past 100k, that's probably about as far as you'll make before your transmission dies.

·
Registered
71 Posts
CoolJB96 said:

So a kind warning to other '02 (and possibly '03 and '04 too) owners - if you make it past 100k, that's probably about as far as you'll make before your transmission dies.
Looking at Consumer Reports year end guide, the 02 seemed to have more of a tranny problem then the 03 & 04.

I'm with you on the downsizing. Another plus is that my Accord is a four cylinder and does not have a timing belt.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Got 76+miles on original tranny (knock on wood). I'll post back time to time. I haven't selected and answer in the the poll yet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
bcuinohio said:
Looking at Consumer Reports year end guide, the 02 seemed to have more of a tranny problem then the 03 & 04.

I'm with you on the downsizing. Another plus is that my Accord is a four cylinder and does not have a timing belt.
Yeah I didn't realize the civic also has a timing chain instead of a belt. I was trying to find the maintenance schedule in the manual and of course there isn't one any more. Everything just refers you to the "Maintenance Minder". So I went to google and found that out. So as best I can determine no maintenance is required on a timing chain??? Anybody know if there is any downside to a timing chain vs. a timing belt?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Downside to a chain verses belt is probably more related to fuel economy. It' takes more "energy" to turn the chain than the belt. As far as maintenance, a chain is relatively "maintenance free". You could realistically go 200K+ miles on a chain verses the 100k (max) on the belt.

Here's some food for thought, ask yourself, why is it that Honda and Toyota install belts in vehicles sold in the US and chains in vehicles sold in other countries????

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Timing Belts:

· Quieter
· Consistent valve timing
· Ease of use and adjustment.
· Increased power through less frictional loss, more precise timing, smoother valvetrain and no chain and gears running in oil.
· Only con is when a belt breaks on an interfernce engine, it will cause damage.
· Food for thought – most race track engines have belts.

Timing Chains:

· Perceived to be maintnenance free.
· Sprocket and chain will wear.
· Worn chain will loosen and change valve timing and result in loss of power.
· Noisy.

201 - 220 of 267 Posts