Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Has your '02 or '03 Odyssey had tranny failures.

• Yes

Votes: 225 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 320 58.7%

• Total voters
241 - 260 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
MR DANGLES said:
***Snip*** my question is what are the recommended services on these yrs and do you think Honda America would be willing to help in this situation on a 7 yr old van with 77,xxx miles on it?
The recommended transmission fluid service is far too long. Depending on the type of driving you do, you may want a simple fluid change with every 2nd engine oil change. As for support from Honda, the dealer should make a pitch for you since they have serviced your van. However, there is no extended warranty for 2003 models so anything they offer will be from goodwill, not policy. The only advantage to the Honda repair is the 3-year/36,000-mile warranty. Otherwise, seek out a good transmission shop who is familiar with these transmissions. Also if you don't have an auxiliary cooler already, have them install one. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If you go to an independent, make sure that they can get the revised case which will eliminate the need for the "oil jet" which was installed back in 04 when you took your ODY in for the recall.

No sense in putting the same poorly designed valve body back in the vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i cant even get Honda of America to call me back. they said someone would call to discuss my claim and the guy tried once and i have called back 50+ times and left msg with no call backs. this has been going on since thanksgiving, any ideas on how to get them to call me back or should i ask for a supervisor? i dont want to rub them wrong as i need any assistance they can give.

i moved the van up a lil in my driveway and hear a pretty loud buzzing sound from under the van or engine is this norm after the tranny gives?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Our '02 has 94K. So far so good. I do an 11 qt return-line change of fluid and Magnefine every 10K. Also get an oil analysis done. Wear was below average last test. Told I could go 15K no problem if I wanted. Within averages other tests except for one test . Had some shifting torque shudder at 91k that was taken care of with a tube of "Dr. Tranny". Stopped the problem immediately. If I need a trans I will try and see what I can get out of the dealer but if that does not pan out I will buy a Jasper rebuild and do a local install. Best rebuild out there. I live in Penna. My car was made in Canada. I wonder if that makes any difference pertaining to the longevity of the trans. It does have the jet recall on it.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Harry Feld said:
Our '02 has 94K. So far so good. I do an 11 qt return-line change of fluid and Magnefine every 10K. Also get an oil analysis done. Wear was below average last test. Told I could go 15K no problem if I wanted. Within averages other tests except for one test . Had some shifting torque shudder at 91k that was taken care of with a tube of "Dr. Tranny". Stopped the problem immediately. If I need a trans I will try and see what I can get out of the dealer but if that does not pan out I will buy a Jasper rebuild and do a local install. Best rebuild out there. I live in Penna. My car was made in Canada. I wonder if that makes any difference pertaining to the longevity of the trans. It does have the jet recall on it.
That Wolfshead stuff gave you some issues if I remember correctly.

I don't think that country of assembly has anything to do with it. My brother outlaw owns a transmission shop in Ontario and he sees them in all the time.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
MR DANGLES said:
i cant even get Honda of America to call me back. they said someone would call to discuss my claim and the guy tried once and i have called back 50+ times and left msg with no call backs. this has been going on since thanksgiving, any ideas on how to get them to call me back or should i ask for a supervisor? i dont want to rub them wrong as i need any assistance they can give.
Have you tried the dealer as well?

·
Registered
54 Posts
herrhaus said:
That Wolfshead stuff gave you some issues if I remember correctly.

I don't think that country of assembly has anything to do with it. My brother outlaw owns a transmission shop in Ontario and he sees them in all the time.
Yes, you have a good memory concerning the Wolfshead. As I do 10k changes, I am trying another experiment to save some $$ over Z-1. I used standard Pennzoil ATF this change and brought it up to Z-1 spec with the addition of Lubeguard (Black).

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2&Product_Code=M465B&Category_Code=lubegard&Product_Count=1

Seems to be doing fine so far. Have 5k to go. Will report analysis results.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jasper is suppose to be the best rebuild.....better than OEM. What did that whole repair cost you as I'll have to do it down the road for sure. ('02 Ody w/ 108 k original) Harry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another one bites the dust!

I was driving my 02 EXL with 147k about 25 mph and all of a sudden CEL came on (P1750), TCS light came one, and the Gear Indicator started flashing... I know I can't complain too much with 147k on the origional trans but it doesn't make a new trans any more affordable! Might as well have been dollar signs flashing on my dash $$$

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also, please see my post/reply of 1-06-10. Just scroll a little above.
I am here to report my experiment was a total failure. I put standard ATF along with LubGuard's black bottle additive which was "suppose" to bring the oil up to Z-1 specs. I did 15k on the oil. It failed miserably in oil analysis with way-high iron of 279 ppm (universal average:63ppm) and high copper of 196 ppm (universal average:14) Will report on next 10-k with Z-1.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
lextalionis said:
My 02' EX Leather tranny failed at 91K. Oil jet installed, fluid replaced with Honda Z1 (by me) ever 30K, and at 65K installed fin and plate cooler and magnefine filter (by me). No towing.
Went back thru your post's. Looked over the pics again of your cooler install. All looked good. Very disappointed that it didn't work out.

Back to the basic postmortem: Small tranny in large vehicle = failure.

:(

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
lextalionis said:
My 02' EX Leather tranny failed at 91K. Oil jet installed, fluid replaced with Honda Z1 (by me) ever 30K, and at 65K installed fin and plate cooler and magnefine filter (by me). No towing.
I'm doing a drain & refill with each oil change. My OCI is 7,500 miles, which works out to 4 of these in a 30,000-mile timeframe...which is pretty much the same as lextalionis. Both of my Odys are at that mileage or beyond.

Beginning to feel not very hopeful about making it to the miles I'm used to seeing on our other Honda products (Accords, Civic).

:(

OF

·
Registered
6 Posts
lextalionis said:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. What steps have you taken? Did you take your Ody to the dealer or to a repair shop?
I have an 02 Ody with 75K. Got the oil jet installed at 25K miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Transmission just failed at 101k miles. I am going through dealer for goodwill, but I'm really not sure how it will pan out. I always go in there telling them about these vehicles, but they don't seem to acknowledge the problems. If they pay for the transmission, I will keep it for the next 3yr/36k miles and then I am getting rid of this van prior to warranty expiration. It's just not worth it. I did a drain and fill on the tranny at every oil change, but that seemed not to matter.

241 - 260 of 267 Posts