Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Has your '02 or '03 Odyssey had tranny failures.

• Yes

Votes: 227 41.5%
  • No

Votes: 320 58.5%
261 - 267 of 267 Posts
Harry Feld said:
if you can't get any goodwill out of the dealer don't have them do the job. I suggest a Jasper rebuild. Very good reputation. Find a local Jasper installer here:
http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php
Don't pay more than $3400.00
Of course Honda won't help me out. You say don't pay more than $3400 but the transmission itself cost $2929.00 from their online quote. Were you able to get that price?

I got a price quote of $3200 3 weeks ago. Remember the price you see is not the price the installer is paying. He gets the trans for installer/dealer cost which, I'd bet, is at least $500 less or more than the price advertised . I get my oil analyzed when I do a 10 qt flush every 10K and the results are telling me I'm getting close to failure so I checked this out to be ready. Call some installers in your area that the site gives you and ask them for a quote. BTW, Jasper is now including an LPD4490 external oil cooler with the trans that must be installed for the warranty to be in place.

Harry Feld said:
I got a price quote of $3200 3 weeks ago. Remember the price you see is not the price the installer is paying. He gets the trans for installer/dealer cost which, I'd bet, is at least $500 less or more than the price advertised . I get my oil analyzed when I do a 10 qt flush every 10K and the results are telling me I'm getting close to failure so I checked this out to be ready. Call some installers in your area that the site gives you and ask them for a quote. BTW, Jasper is now including an LPD4490 external oil cooler with the trans that must be installed for the warranty to be in place.
Ok, thats what i was thinking. I think $3200 is reasonable especially with the kevlar updates, cooler, and better warranty. I'm keeping the van for 3 more years and saying goodbye to Honda when i sell it. thanks for the info, this looks promising.

My 2002 Odyssy started having Torque shutter when shifting around 40 to 45 mph. I had to
use the 3rd gear instead of "D" when not croosing in the highway. I used Dr. Tranny and it
WORKED!!!

Bought 3 Dr. Tranny tubes and used 2 of them. It improved some, but not completely. Noticed
that never does it when the engine is cold. Only after the temperature gauge goes reaches its
steady state.

I got the thermostat changed. It made more improvement immediately. Now after 4 weeks, the
car is running flawless!!!

Ody 02 has design problem in transmission and it took 4 years to fix it. My 02 ody was 10 years old and it had only 65k miles. Dealer asked 4.5 k to fix grant & timing belt.
I am not comfortable to spent that much and worried that other issues may popup, so sold the van to dealer for 5k. Took another risk and bought 2010 Ody Touring so far no issue and whole family is enjoying.

I have used 1 tube of Dr. Tranny in the past, but will keep the fact that you added more for future reference. My '02 Ody just passed 175k on the original trans. A little bit of luck I suppose as these trannys really were junk but to get as much out of it as possible I did this:

1. Always changed trans fluid every 10k-15k at the outside.
2. Always had oil analyzed to keep abreast of tranny health. ($20 Blackstone)
4. Always used OEM fluid and added 1 Dr. Tranny, 1 red Lubguard, 1 black LubGuard to fluid.
5. Installed auxiliary trans oil-cooler. One recommended on this forum and Jasper.
6. Installed remote trans filter kit that called for a big PF43 filter on the mount.
7. Covered remote filter body with high-strength earth magnets to trap more iron, filter-clogging sludge given off from the below-par-material OEM trans clutches.
8. As I had easy access to remote filter trans-return line, I used that to change the fluid. I would drain trans and replace with 2- 1/2 qts. of fresh fluid. Start vehicle with return line diconnected and sitting in graduated beaker. Stop engine when beaker was filled with 2 qts. Repeat process until I had run 10 qts. thru tranny. I surely do not get all the old oil out of the converter but I figure this procedure probably removed more old oil than the standard practice of drain and fill 3-4times. Who knows for sure.

So, overall I have spent quite a bit of time and money on this , but I enjoyed the challenge and my approach has seemed to have worked out OK.

** snip ** BTW, Jasper is now including an LPD4490 external oil cooler with the trans that must be installed for the warranty to be in place.
This still true Harry?

261 - 267 of 267 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.