Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took out the stock speakers from my 2002 and was surprised to find a bright blue poly-propolyne cone! Certainly a first for me in all my stock-crap dealings.

This may explain my surprise at the very good sound quality - especially after reading so many negative comments. I am thinking now that Honda put new speakers up front AND bigger better speakers in the rear.

Can any 2001 owners confirm stock paper cones up front?

Don't get me wrong - I am still upping the fronts to aftermarkets, but I think I will move the fronts to the rear and give it a listen before buying new aftermarket rear speakers.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
in my '01 EX:

front: 6.5" polypro cone w/butyl surround in door, cheap paper (I think) tweeter in dash.

rear: ~5" (slightly larger than 4.5") paper cone with textile surround.

I believe the LX is paper/textile all around, no tweeter in dash.

If your '02 has paper 6.5"s in the back, switching them with the factory fronts after upgrading is not a bad idea. The downside is lack of high end response in the rear, with heavier polypro cone and lack of HF driver. Your rears, if paper, probably have a whizzer cone for "better" highs. For front listening though, this might be just what you want; a little mid/low rear fill with strong front sound stage.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Your rears, if paper, probably have a whizzer cone for "better" highs.</font>
Not even that. Believe it.

I still have the stock speakers in a box in the garage. I have no idea why...

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Not even that. Believe it.

I still have the stock speakers in a box in the garage. I have no idea why...
</font>
It still amazes me that on a $30K van they can't spend a couple bucks more for someting even a LITTLE better...I really thought they'd do a better on the '02, but you don't get much more. Speakers are such a comodity too, and at the volumes Honda deals with, we're not talkin' alot of dough....

Anyhow, I always keep my old factory speaks/radio/etc... so that I can "restore" the car back to factory state if I ever need to sell it. If you have space to keep 'em, not a bad idea to store 'em.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
182 Posts
My '01 EX has paper cones in the front doors. I remember reading before I bought it that the 01's were suppose to have improved speakers over the 99-00's, and after seeing what was in mine I really felt bad for the earlier owners. Maybe they were using up the old stock when they made mine, as it has it's first birthday tomorrow. Just turned 7k miles yesterday.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts