Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery on my 2002 LX on November 23rd. Last week while driving, the power on the vehicle went out, and it was subsequently towed to a local dealership. After a week of trying to determine the problem, the mechanic found the cause to be that the cam shaft 'froze.' Now the head assembly and all related parts need to be replace. Under the warranty, Honda will cover all parts and labor.

My question - I would like Honda (or dealership) to replace the ody. I am concerned that after only 500 miles that a failure of this significance has occurred. We don't fall under the lemon law but I would like to dump this car before experiencing additional problems. Do I have any recourse? Is a replacement a reasonable/possible request? Suggestions?

·
Registered
131 Posts
IMO, with an engine as technically advanced as this one, they should just put in a new motor and send yours back to Honda for teardown and inspection. This is what GM has done with alot of their motors and trannies that have failed quickly.

A frozen camshaft would mean a total top-end rebuild because of possible valvestem and seat damage along with cam bearings and a close inspection of the heads. I also would think they would want to remove and inspect the crankshaft for possible damage to the journals.

If it was a broken/defective timing belt then that would be a different story, but a camshaft that abruptly quit turning could cause serious damage to all other reciprocating parts.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
207 Posts
>>>>We don't fall under the lemon law....<<<<

....yet, that is. Check your jurisdiction because some kick in after the vehicle has been out of service (due to the nonconformity) for 30 business days. Sounds as if yours has already been out of service for at least 5 and will take a substantial period of time to repair. Whatever you do, keep track of the time.

Considering the magnitude of this anomaly (based on Shaner's post and 2002EXL's concurrence) and the fact that your Ody is less than one month old with only 500 miles, a replacement could not possibly be considered an unreasonable request. I'd suggest bouncing it off the dealer followed immediately by a consultation with an attorney.

·
Registered
565 Posts
“Froze” is just a polite way of saying that the camshaft seized up. In my “non-engineer” mind, this can only be caused by excessive heat and/or friction. Even though the camshafts are in the heads and can be removed separately from the engine, the potential for the rest of the engine to be contaminated via the engine oil is very real.

I would go above the dealer on this. Whether or not there’s a law in place to back you up, Honda (and the dealer) should make good on this simply based on a public relations standpoint.

If they don’t, I would PUBLICLY exercise my freedom of speech. Fly a “lemon” banner on the side of the car with the dealer’s name in bold letters.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Defaming the dealer could be a dangerous ploy, since he is willing to repair the van. If you go too far, you might be seeing HIS attorney! Yes, I, too would want a replacement, in such a case, but, you must keep a cool head while attempting to come to an accord (notice the small a, Hee! Hee!). Do be very firm with this dealer, at least re a complete engine replacement and get mad later. I wish you the very best of luck.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
160 Posts
Let me get this straight. dlapolice doesn't have enough oil passages, and I have too many?

NeoFender is right. Galling of the bearing surfaces will occur before seizing, and metal particles will start getting into the oil. The oil filter should catch the vast majority of it, and flushing out the engine after the repair should clear out most of the junk which is fine for an engine with 115k miles, but at 500? New engine. Period.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wha? the camshaft froze??? odd.... well, yes, ask them nicely for a new engine, tell them what you read here, or at least ask them to tear the bottom end apart and check for any other damage.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Dlapolice,

I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles. I agree with Jerry O, defaming the dealer probably won't gain you anything. Getting belligerent with the dealer will probably not help either. They are just average, every day folks, trying to do a job. Keep in mind, they know it's in their best interest to help you but they are also bound by the rules that "Honda" places them under. It's OK to be direct and up front about your concerns with the service employees, you certainly have that right, but keep it civil. The dealer can only do what Honda will allow them to do. If that's not agreeable with you, then you need to take it up with Honda. If the dealer is worth anything, they'll back you up.

As for replacing the entire vehicle over this, I'm not convinced that's appropriate although if you can get Honda to agree to it, more power to you. My reason for saying that is that I had a 1975 Plymouth Valient (bought new) with 318 V8. It ate a crankshaft at 1100 miles. Needless to say, I wasn't happy about it either. Chrysler replaced the crankshaft and all associated main and rod bearings, and that was all. FWIW, I had no significant problems with the car for the remainder of the 3.5 years and almost 40k miles I drove it. It's not a given that you will either.

I do agree, however, with those who suggest that you should, at least try to get the engine replaced. There's no telling what kind of contamination has occured from the failure of the camshaft.

Good luck with this.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 12-22-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
I guess we should all take a lesson from this "frozen" camshaft and, along with brass monkeys, we should never leave them out in the cold.......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts