Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This is a great running mini van, if you call occasionally needing to coast over to the side of the road 'great running'.
190k miles- starts up every time, idles nice, has plenty of go, but there's that nasty sudden death, all power lost- not often, but every once in a while.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for any input. 馃憤

Registered
It sure sounds like a bad ignition switch. There are many posts about this issue. And I think there is a recall on the switch. If it shows symptoms at the Honda dealer they will replace it free. Or you can DIY. DO a search for ignition switch and see if your symptoms match others.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that ^ ^ ^

As you suggested, I checked the vin and there's no recall for the switch. I'll search the forum and see what comes up. CHEERS!

Registered
My 2003 (120k miles) did the same one cold evening twice. We don't use this van often (probably once a week). Haven't checked ignition switch yet. No ignition switch recall listed for our Ody.

Registered
I have your year and what is wrong depends on how restarting goes.
If it just stumbles and shuts off driving real slow or coming to a stop, then it's probable the idle air control valve (replaced in both my 02 & the 03 my daughter now drives)
If it just seems to shut down and takes a while to restart, then the main rely either needs replacing or the solder on the circuit board needs to be reflowed. What happens with that relay is the connections get hot and the fuel pump turns off. (I have also experienced this as well)

The ignition switch issues were with the earlier vans, before the mid cycle refresh in 2002. Of course that does not mean, at the age our 02-04 vans are getting to the ignition might not be a problem someday. The change in keys starting in 03 have been an issue, but that is with getting the key to turn at all.

Registered
Do the dash warning lights illuminate after the engine stalls?

If so, I would suspect the main relay. If not, I would suspect the ignition switch.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your input.

When the car dies, it just dies - no stumbling or coughing, just dead. And when this happens, the dash lights do remain lit. And if this matters, it starts up and runs fine after 10 - 15 minutes pause. How might I further check if the main relay is the culprit?
Thank you

Registered
OP. There are a many posts on "main relay" on this site. With pictures. Showing soldering joints, how to fix. etc.
And where the main relay is located. (under the dash, by the brake pedal).
IMHO, time to stop asking questions, and do a search, then, get your "hands dirty". DIY.
Good luck. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
^ ^ ^ You are so right. I found a thread with a link to what appears to be a good test procedure.

I had no idea this was such a common problem, and that so many threads existed addressing it.

Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Recap ... maybe
I say maybe because my problem was intermittent.
In any case, I changed the relay.
Fingers crossed.
Thanks, guys, for your input.

Registered
Just pop the old open and look for burn marks on the solder connections. (it is such a PITA to remove i often suggest just prying out the guts and leaving the case in place)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts