Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have now had our SS EX-L NAVI for 4 days. The Odyssey definitely has a better engine for acceleration and better brakes. We also enjoy the navigation system and the iVES we had the dealer install (especially since we are driving from MN to TX next week!). Better safety with side air bags. We are still learning about the power sliding doors, nice feature with 4 little kids who never use to shut the door hard enough on the old van. Won't use the disappearing back seat because of the 4 kids, but the back does hold more because of the recessing.

The things we miss: more comfortable front seats and better positioning of the arm rests. Memory power driver's seat and power front passenger seat. Cassette player. Trip computer with outside temp. I have an Acura MDX with navigation and it includes a trip computer which I thought would be on this car-but it wasn't. I am surprised that things like fog lights and cross bars for the roof rack we had to have the dealer install and aren't standard on the upscale EX-L. Styling and interior design are a bit nicer in the Town & Country LXi.

Overall we are very happy. For us, the safety, reliability, better engine and brakes won us over.

I am curious what others miss about their other cars or minivans. Please post what you perceive as pros and cons. Thanks! Maybe when Honda redesigns in the next few years they will include more standard equipment, creature comforts, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've never owned a van before this one, but I was a little disappointed in the lack of an outside temp readout (how hard would it really have been to integrate into the climate control LCD???)

And then there's the stereo...lack of bass, relatively poor radio reception

Other than that, I love it. I even laugh at my "manly" co workers when the gawk at me for driving a minivan, and then go for a ride and "Ooo Aahhh" it to death

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">but the back does hold more because of the recessing.</font>
I gotta say, I think that's my favorite feature. Strange, but true.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The things we miss: more comfortable front seats and better positioning of the arm rests. Memory power driver's seat and power front passenger seat.</font>
yeah, Honda doesn't really do the luxury thing. They leave that to Acura. Unfortunately, Honda doesn't think there's a market for a thing called a "luxury minivan" the way there is for something called a "luxury SUV". Maybe they're right. Anyway, that's why Acura didn't get the Ody. That's why there's now a Honda minvan with leather and DVD.

But Honda won't do the full-boat luxury touches like memory seats and so on. It's just their corporate culture.

Had Acura taken the Ody, I'd have bought the Acura version.

My only other minivan was a 93 Previa. I don't miss the A/C blowing $500 worth of repairs every year (to be fair, Toyota admits that 1993 was a very bad year for them for A/C).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kris,

We traded our 1996 Chrysler Town & Country in for our Starlight Silver 2002 EX-L back in mid-Oct.

I completely agree with your pros and cons. I would like to add a couple of things.
1. Overall Handling/Ride/Noise: The Odyssey's responsiveness and handling is much better than the Chrysler, but we miss the much smoother and much quieter ride. I think that Honda could have done a better job in this area.
2. Don't you love how quiet the Odyssey's motor and power steering is? I think that Chrysler/Dodge minivans have the noisiest "ratchet sounding" power steering.
3. I was dissappointed in the squeaks/rattles in my Odyssey upon delivery. Especially with the sliding doors and the folding table.
4. If you haven't noticed already, as the driver, try fitting a regular sized coffee cup (or an extra large fast food soda cup) in the Odyssey's cup holders (dash or tray table). It won't fit. What were the Honda designers thinking?!?
5. The Odyssey's gas tank "sloshing" or "thud" sound should not have been deemed acceptable by Honda's designers or marketing.
6. I'm hoping that our Odyssey's reliability will be much better than our Chrysler. Our Chrysler was in the shop 10 times within the first 36,000 miles for repairs.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Odyssey, but there are improvement still to be made that can make it a whole lot better. Competition is good, and Chrysler is better in several areas. I feel like I can say this because I've experienced them both.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
So out of curiousity, what was your tradein valued at. I am trying to unload a 96 T&C and the market has really fallen on these guys. I had a regular T&C optioned up close to an LXI and I found 96 LXI models getting sold for $9000 putting more downward pressure on mine.

Plus with 10 days of newspaper adds I only got 3 buyers and 1 wholesale buyer.

One buyer wanted me to finance
One buyer bought the LXI with less mileage for 9000
One buyer never called back after seeing the car
and the wholesale has a firm offer at $7500

·
Registered
43 Posts
Never had a minivan before.

What I miss most?
I miss my heads up display in the previous car.
Also the car the was much quiter. (95 Pontiac Bonneville even after 6 years).
Ody picks up wind noise starting at 60 mph.

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redly1:
I've never owned a van before this one, but I was a little disappointed in the lack of an outside temp readout (how hard would it really have been to integrate into the climate control LCD???)

And then there's the stereo...lack of bass, relatively poor radio reception

Other than that, I love it. I even laugh at my "manly" co workers when the gawk at me for driving a minivan, and then go for a ride and "Ooo Aahhh" it to death
</font>
Well said. I think the industry call this 'nickel & diming'.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Zalusky,

My tradein value was $9,000 for my "standard" Town & Country. It had 78,000 miles, no added features, mint condition, and I had a summary of all my service records.

Like you, I thought that I could sell it myself for more, but when I saw so many out there for less than $9,000, I decided that it wasn't worth it. Don't forget to figure in the "sales tax savings" when you trade a vehicle in versus selling it on your own.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kris,

Oops, I thought of 1 more feature that I love on my Odyssey compared to my 96 Chrysler Town & Country.

The Odyssey has a noticeable tighter turning radius (37.7 ft versus 39.6 ft according to the literature).

Regards,
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts