Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
We are in WNY (wester new york) and received 3 feet of the lovely (yea right) white stuff yesterday & today!!
Haven't had a chance too swap my alloys to my steel rims yet, but I'll tell you what......The TCS really works on the Ody!!
Plowed (literally) through 3 feet of snow on the way home!! No slipping or traction problems with the factory Michelin Symmetry's. I am very impressed with the control of the Ody. My wifes ML320 stinks in the snow!!
FWIW
John

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is night to hear the 2002 Ody drives OK on snow. I thought the ML320 is a 4 wheel drive. It should work a lot better on snow?

·
Registered
859 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002EXL:
Howdy,
We are in WNY (wester new york) and received 3 feet of the lovely (yea right) white stuff yesterday & today!!
Haven't had a chance too swap my alloys to my steel rims yet, but I'll tell you what......The TCS really works on the Ody!!
Plowed (literally) through 3 feet of snow on the way home!! No slipping or traction problems with the factory Michelin Symmetry's. I am very impressed with the control of the Ody. My wifes ML320 stinks in the snow!!
FWIW
John
</font>
Thanks for the report. Due to the unusual lack of snow here in Iowa this year, I haven't been able to test out the Symmetrys
to see if a snow tire package from Tire Rack would be needed, at least for the first couple of snow seasons. Nice to know the Blizzaks can wait until the Symmetry's wear a bit.

Mark
'02 EX-L
'96 Maxima SE (Blizzaks for winter)
'87 Honda mower

·
Registered
185 Posts
My Artic-Alpins are being put on first thing in the morning. Now watch that since I've put on expensive, noisy, fast-wearing tires that don't handle as well as the standard all-weathers we'll have a no-snow winter.

Whaddayagonnado?

------------------
dMax
'02 GG EX-L w/fog lights

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm outside of Buffalo, but we got 5 feet here!!
Nope no problems, drove down an unplowed street that had about 2.5 feet powdered snow, motored right on through!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here in Atlanta, well just north a bit, we had approx. 4" of the white stuff yesterday with a bit of ice underneath. My only problem on the unpaved roads was when starting from a stop. I kept the car in second gear and the traction control light would come on.

Otherwise, a very confident drive into work. Actually, I felt so confident, I drove past work and picked up a coworker.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sipe those Ody tires for even better traction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've found tire siping to be a very effective and inexpensive way to gaining traction (especially on wet, icy, and snowy roads). Last year I had the tires on our '94 Nissan Quest sipped. It cost about $40 for the 4 tires. I was so impressed with the results I just had the tires on our new Ody sipped. What really sold me was being able to get around after a snow storm last year. I picked up one of our neighbors on a hill. His truck with snow chains couldn't stop slipping on the steep slopes. The siped tires did great. We had a snow storm here last night and this morning and my wife is driving around with the new Ody and its siped tires. The siping process does not remove any rubber. Rather, it places nearly invisible 90 degrees cuts in the treads. In all my research and experience I can find no draw backs to siping tires. The benefits include: increased tractiong, longer tire life, softer ride. This week Discount Tires had a special and I paid $5 per tire for my new Ody. I highly recommend this if you live in an area where there is any ice or snow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad to hear that the Odyssey is great in snow. Although we haven't had a banner year for the white stuff here in Connecticut this year (we've had close to NOTHING!), I've been driving a Subaru for many many years, and just put a deposit on an EX-L.
Can't wait!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by carol:
p.s. What is tire siping?</font>
All passenger tires come from the factory with "sipes" (rhymes with "wipes"), lateral cuts across the surface of the tire. Look at most any tire and you'll see hundreds of tiny crosswise cuts in the tread.

Siping, or adding more cuts to the surface of tires, is controversial.

The process is done by a special machine at some tire shops. Some car owners believe that siping improves traction in rain and snow or that it improves tire life, or that siping can both improve traction and tire life.

As is often the case with claims that an aftermarket process produces substantial improvements, there is little if any published research on the subject.

Much of the support comes either from the companies that do the siping or from anecdotal reports by individuals, many of whom are convinced through their own experience that the process is beneficial.

Do a search on "tire siping" on the internet to get into the thick of the battle

One of the issues is whether or not a siped tire is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty, since the original tread pattern has been altered.

Personally, I'm one of those who relies on factory engineers to come up with the best design for their tires, i.e., I do not intend to intend to "improve" upon the factory design of my 02 Ody's Michelin Symmetry tires.

People have different comfort zones for what they alter. I'm quite willing to tweak the BIOS of my computer, I have been known to edit computer programs in hexadecimal code on disk, and I'll also change recipes when I cook, but I won't sipe my tires.

<center>[...Maugham puts on
flame suit...]</center>

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces<font color="#f7f7f7">

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 02-14-2002).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts