Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed Honda fog lights in their 2002? I'm wondering how difficult it is to do it myself. I'm assuming all electrical connectors are located in light and switch locations for easy plug-in.

------------------
2002 EX-L NAV
1998 Accord LX

·
Registered
317 Posts
I installed them in a 2002 a few weeks back. It was very easy especially with the tricks from Mel. I think there is a post from him in the DYI section. Removing the front bumper was easier than i though, the only real problem was removing the steering column shroud but once you figured out how to do one it was easy. I also used Chucks mod 2 on the wiring so i could get the fogs working when the brights are on. good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know it sounds a little tough, but this is a very doable mod. There is plenty of experience here to draw on.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kanadary:
I installed them in a 2002 a few weeks back. It was very easy especially with the tricks from Mel. I think there is a post from him in the DYI section.</font>
Hi kanadary,
Who is Mel? I did not see anything in the tech section except for pics of Chuck's installed fog lights and his mod to tie them into high beams. I'm just looking for installtion tips, pics, and info on standard install. I sure think it makes the front end look nicer. Do you have pics of yours that I could see?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by voyager:
...Who is Mel?...</font>
That would be me

The tricks kanadary is referring to are my Fog Light Installation Notes. I hope you find them helpful.

BTW: I'm still open to assisting someone in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area install fog lights (in a comfortable location, it is the middle of the Winter, after all) so that I can take some photos of the install for a Tech Section article. Alternatively, if someone wants to just take photos of the install illustrating my notes, etc., we can jointly publish an article.

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 02-18-2002).]

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sorry I don't have any pics and I see Mel has given you some info. Mel's install advice is dead on, without them you'll be adding alot of time to the install. Spent too much $$ on SLR lenses and the price of digital SLR bodies haven't gone down enough to make it affordable.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgive me for my brazeness, but I was wondering if Chuck, Mel, or George might be willing to make comments or notes corresponding to a particular step of Honda installation instructions for fog lights. I've read the various tips about longer screws and cutting from the backside etc, but I was thinking it might be helpful if information was consiolidated into one location.

For example step# 4 of Honda instructions is about cutting bumper opening for lights. A brief note might be George's suggestion to cut from back side. Nothing fancy, something short and sweet that allows other members to conveniently benefit from the forum's experts and their experiences. It just seems that the fog light install topic is a popular install topic and this might be a good idea. I'll totally understand if time and schedule don't permit, but I wanted to throw the idea out for discussion.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'd be glad to help, but the problem is that it's been so long since I did the install that I don't remember a lot of specifics.

I do remember an issue with screw length, but I think it was resolved without buying new screws. The only other caveat I can recall is that the cables were mislabeled, but if you know that going in, it's no problem.

Cutting the bumper is no problem, but it *is* scary!. Come to think of it, when I did my install I seem to remember that I didn't cut the openings quite big enough. That resulted in the lamps not seating completely in the opening, making it seem that the screws weren't long enough. Once I opened the hole a bit, the screws fit where they were supposed to. Still better to err on the conservative side, though and start out with the hole a bit snug and then use a Dremel to pare away the binds.

Maybe Mel can confirm this or correct me if I'm not remembering right.

------------------
Chuck, Self-elected President, Vice President, Sergeant-at Arms and only member, of the now official Former Ody Owners chapter of the OdyClub, founded 2/02/2002.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Chuck, The 4NR hasn't affected your memory too much (yet)

I suggest people be "carefully bold" when cutting the openings. As long as the mounting surface isn't damaged, making the hole too big isn't a problem. If one is conservative, like you and I were, then you have to spend time enlarging the opening in order to get the housing to seat fully.

You can use the supplied screws, but not if you follow Honda's direction. You need to swap a couple of the long and short ones. Of course, I discovered this after I returned from the hardware store.

I also suggest making the light mod (version 2) using a jumper wire and a set of insulated spade or bullet connectors. This can be done under the dash area where it can be "reverted" (and reinstalled) easily if that ever becomes necessary.

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 02-24-2002).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts