Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, our 2002 Honda Odyssey recently started randomly turning off while driving. It doesn't seem to happen specifically when cornering, breaking, or accelerating; it's seemingly random. As for frequency, I'd say it happens 2-3 in a 10 minute drive. I still drive it daily to work (I live 10 minutes away and am taking side streets). When it shuts off, I pull over, put it into park, and it restarts and is good for another 2 minutes or so.

When it started happening, a friend who used to be a Honda mechanic pointed out the fuel pump. I bought another one, installed it, but the issue persists.

Recently, I noticed that while it is dying, the green light with the Key symbol flashes on the dash. After noticing that, I now drive around while pushing and holding the key into the ignition switch, and it seems to help the situation (car only died once vs 3 times in the same trip).

I'm not sure if I should be replacing the key, the ignition switch, the lock cylinder, or something else. If there's a way to test for the part that I need to replace, I'd appreciate the help, as I'm out $100 for a fuel pump :p Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whoa! I I just posted about the same problem with my '02.

My thread here

From the symptoms you describe, which are the same as mine, the general consensus from some forum members who responded to my plea for help, is it's the main relay causing the shut down. I just changed mine, but since it's an intermittent problem, I'll have to wait until some time passes to see if the relay is indeed the cause.

Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone, our 2002 Honda Odyssey recently started randomly turning off while driving. It doesn't seem to happen specifically when cornering, breaking, or accelerating; it's seemingly random. As for frequency, I'd say it happens 2-3 in a 10 minute drive. I still drive it daily to work (I live 10 minutes away and am taking side streets). When it shuts off, I pull over, put it into park, and it restarts and is good for another 2 minutes or so.

When it started happening, a friend who used to be a Honda mechanic pointed out the fuel pump. I bought another one, installed it, but the issue persists.

Recently, I noticed that while it is dying, the green light with the Key symbol flashes on the dash. After noticing that, I now drive around while pushing and holding the key into the ignition switch, and it seems to help the situation (car only died once vs 3 times in the same trip).

I'm not sure if I should be replacing the key, the ignition switch, the lock cylinder, or something else. If there's a way to test for the part that I need to replace, I'd appreciate the help, as I'm out $100 for a fuel pump :p Thanks everyone!
Because of the flashing key symbol and holding & pushing the key makes is better (and personal experience with my ody)...start with the simplest and cheapest...the key...is it really worn?...try a different key if you have one...a locksmith make be able to make a new key cheaper than the dealer, you can call and check

you can also do a search for "key symbol flashing 2002 odyssey" on google and this site for more troubleshooting info

1 - 4 of 4 Posts