Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know how easy it is to replace the rear shocks on a 2002 Odyssey.
Is there a step-by-step document somewhere I could follow?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
8,709 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Replacing the rear shocks can't get much easier especially is you have an impact wrench. 15 minutes each tops including removing the wheel.
-Jack up the body not the wheel and stick a jackstand under the frame for safety
-Remove the wheel
-Remove the 2 bolts and shock (clean the threads and spray penetrant on first)
-Reverse order above

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you to everyone for the quick response! Is there a service manual for this van online anywhere? Wondering what the torque requirements are for the bolts that hold the shocks on?
Also checking around here with local NAPA KYB shocks are $73 for just one! Any good online dealers that sell the cheaper?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just replaced my suspension with KYBs. Cost was $316 for both struts, strut bushings and rear shocks from AJUSA.com
Rears should run you about $80 for the pair online. Find somebody who offers free shipping.
Replacing the rears was about the easiest I've ever had. Almost easier than my Volvo 240.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one last question. Reading another post from another thread someone posted a scan of a page from the service manual on installing the new shock. But where would I need to place the jackstands? I read where someone placed it under the wheel axle but wouldn't I need to lift it with floor jack from that point when removing and installing?
Does the jackstands go under frame in front of rear wheel?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Use the rear jacking point to raise the rear end with your floor jack. There are jacking points on the left and right sides, just forward of the rear fenders, that are used for the spare tire jack. These are illustrated in the owners' manual, and that's where I put the jack stands when I replaced shocks on my wife's 2002 EX last week.

Easy job. Done it twice so far (once for each Ody).

OF

·
Registered
95 Posts
47 foot-pounds on both the upper and lower bolts. If you send me a private message with your email I'll forward you the diagrams and guidance.

Watchman

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hoping to do this within the next month(if the weather cooperates). What are symptoms of worn rear shocks? I'm hearing a "clunking" sound. Is this likely the worn shock, or is there something else I need to replace when I replace the shock? Is the general consensus to fo OEM, Monroe, or other?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I replaced with Monroe Sensatrac Load-adjusting Shocks - there is an extra coil springs around the shock for heavy load applications.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Typical symptom of a worn shock is bouncy rear end or heavy sway on corners. However, worn shock mount bushings could cause a clunk.

OEM are twice the price of aftermarket, and probably better quality. Aftermarket choices are Monroe and KYB. IIRC KYB gets better reviews than Monroe. Again IIRC, Monroe goes soft after a couple of years.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Typical symptom of a worn shock is bouncy rear end or heavy sway on corners. However, worn shock mount bushings could cause a clunk.

OEM are twice the price of aftermarket, and probably better quality. Aftermarket choices are Monroe and KYB. IIRC KYB gets better reviews than Monroe. Again IIRC, Monroe goes soft after a couple of years.
Thanks for the replies. Are you referring to the bushing that is made into the top and/or bottom eyelet of the shock? The ones that the bolts go through?

·
Registered
399 Posts
If I remember is correctly, the KYBs come with those rubber bushings. Don't know how many miles on your van but I might go ahead and replace the coil springs if there are where the clunks coming from.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i just did mine about 3 weeks ago, super easy. I did not replace my springs, but didnt see any broken pieces. Ill do it later this spring once it stays warm.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
How about changing the upper and lower springs seats, and the bump stop? Should I get these also?
Spring seats, yes. Bump stop, no unless it looks bad. It comes into play only when the suspension bottoms out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Monroes did start leaking very quickly on an 04 Ody and I was noticing some sway at highway speeds with a load. I think they only lasted about 20K before I noticed the sway and leak. I'm going with OEM this time. Not worth the price diff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Monroes did start leaking very quickly on an 04 Ody and I was noticing some sway at highway speeds with a load. I think they only lasted about 20K before I noticed the sway and leak. I'm going with OEM this time. Not worth the price diff.
I've got an 04 also. Did OEM work for you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced with Monroe Sensatrac Load-adjusting Shocks - there is an extra coil springs around the shock for heavy load applications.
My Oddy wast just send back from inspection due to leaking shock. Amazon have a good deal on these load adjusting sensatracs. How do you like them. Is there a big compromise in comfort when driving unloaded?

·
Registered
346 Posts
OEM suck. You can feel the difference when you take them off. My van is at 166K and needs shocks again. I have never had a vehicle wear out rear shocks like the Ody.

I have had OEM - suck. Lasted about 35K
Monroe load adjusters - the best and lasted the longest. However, if you don't tow, they will raise the rear stance of your vehicle. Lasted about 70K

Gabrielle - about 10% better than OEM. have lasted about 50K. I need to replace them and the springs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts