Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 Helms manual arrived today, and I'm happy to report that all the 2002 info is perfectly integrated into each section.

Two things I looked up right away: The spec for the third brake light bulb is no different than 2001 (thus, no LED), and the oil spec is 5W-20.

Great manual, though I hope I don't hurt myself by dropping it on my toe. Now, if my van would just arrive.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 V70 T5 - White w/ graphite leather

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought it from the source: helm.com

Or, more specifically: http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=AHM&Make=AHM&Model=ODYS&Year=2002&Category=1&Keyword=&mscsid=1E9VJE12M9SR2MLV00A3HVE05KFRF999

The oil requirement is the same on the car, in the owners manual and in the Helm manual, so it is probably safe to assume it is accurate this time.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The oil requirement is the same on the car, in the owners manual and in the Helm manual, so it is probably safe to assume it is accurate this time.</font>
You mean the salesman who scratches that out and says "Oh, all you need is 10w30, ignore the manual" is WRONG?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah...call it a hunch.

-d

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Helm manual has several thousand pages more info

Totally different animals. The Helm is the shop manual. It's the manual that the dealer techs use to repair or replace just about anything on the vehicle. The owner's manual is something you can keep in the glove box to find where you jack is, or how to operate the AC. The Helm service manual is something you'd never fit in the gove box, and probably won't need on the road...unless you plan on stripping your dashboard off to replace your Navi screen while enroute to grandma's house

- Darell

------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
darelldd,

Thanks. I am placing the Helm manual on top of my must have list. Armed with that book and my small collection of tools, I could really be dangerous.

Kevin

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The manual is truly something to behold. It is a full 2-1/2 inches thick. When you aren't using it for a complete engine rebuild, you can use it as a VERY effective door stop.

If you use the manual once to avoid going into the dealer, it will have paid for itself, obviously.

I'm getting OUT Of a car that had no shop manual available, so I'm extra excited about this. I couldn't stand not knowing where anything was on my Volvo.

Go get 'em Kevin!

- Darell

------------------

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you guys serious about 5w30 oil? The way I understand it that is a very thin oil!!!!!!!!!!!!
I live in North Dakota and the thinest oil I've ever run in any of my vehicles is 5w30 and that is only in the winter where it can get to -30F before the wind chill.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm only as serious as Honda is. And they seem pretty serious.

-d

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nestor -

Thanks for the find. What I'd love to do is find a low-profile strip of LEDs like that to slip into the stock third brake housing. More brake light is almost always better, but I still want it high.

BTW, I just got the offical word back from Honda that they have a type-o on all of their literature as far as the LED third brake light is concerned. Big surprise.

------------------

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I'm sure I've seen them before too...you know - when I didn't need them.

The few items I do see don't seem to have enough dimensional info for me to buy.

Hmm. Maybe I should start a new thread so other LED fanatics can find us...

- darell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts