Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plea for news. There's been a dryspell of info. for the highly anticipated 2002 model. No confirmations or spy-like information. Would anyone with a relative at one of the plants, a supplier who visits and chats with Honda reps, friends of executives, other sources; please shed some light on this subject? In particular, the projected 240hp and 5spd auto transmission rumor. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I talked with Hondas accessory division manager and he confirmed that their pumping up the horsepower. Their tweeking the computer and the exhaust.

------------------
Rick

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rwalterson:
I talked with Hondas accessory division manager and he confirmed that their pumping up the horsepower. Their tweeking the computer and the exhaust.
</font>
Thanks Rick. I'm assuming this will be for the beginning 2002 model year and not a mid-year update. Did the accessory manager mention anything about the 5 spd. automatic transmission?

·
Registered
478 Posts
As much as I hate to wait to get my Ody, I may try to get an '02 in red (my wife doesn't care for any of the current colors!) and see what other improvements or options they have as well. 3 months of waiting?

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:
As much as I hate to wait to get my Ody, I may try to get an '02 in red (my wife doesn't care for any of the current colors!) and see what other improvements or options they have as well. 3 months of waiting?
</font>
ody,

If i were you I will defenitely wait for th 2002 Odyssey "different and improved" also new colors and more options. About 2 1/2 months.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Late September seems to be the general consensus from all the dealers I've talked with, though none have any pricing, color charts, or details about changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I bit the bullet and got on the wait list in Madison for an 02 Rerock pearl EX-L with the rear entertainment system(RES). It was confirmed that the RES is a factory installation verses a dealer installation. Tentative delivery date is November.

Can't wait to get behind the wheel.

Have a great day, Jerry

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm #2 on the wait list for the 2002. Looking at an EX in redrock pearl. Hope it can happen in September.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gman18:
Well I bit the bullet and got on the wait list in Madison for an 02 Rerock pearl EX-L with the rear entertainment system(RES). It was confirmed that the RES is a factory installation verses a dealer installation. Tentative delivery date is November.

Can't wait to get behind the wheel.

Have a great day, Jerry
</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
We got the same. The papers say, "price-TBD".

Haven't asked about the Navi and the RES yet. I'll try to get more info.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, I placed an order for a 2002 Ody EX-L the other day. When I called dealer today he said there were no changes for the 2002 EX. I hope he is just talking BS because I have heard and hoped for a few changes like added HP better radio maybe rear disc brakes. He confirmed leather but said no entertainment system except if installed by dealer

COst for car is MSRP - 300 which sounds like a good deal

Steven

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can tell the dealers aren't all on the same page. The EX-RES is known by several of the dealers. Your sales guy will be letting you know by August what the changes are officially. He'll start by saying something like I guess they are making changes. You can then tell him you told him so earlier. None of these guys seem to understand that the changes need to be made this model year or the new plant will need to spend millions to retool next year. Honda also needs to go one-up on Chrysler again no that it is a little more competitive in the market. Simple logic that your salesman doesen't understand. Explain it to him sometime.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey walstreet,

What part of the country are you in and what dealership are you working with. MSRP -300 sounds like a pretty good deal!

I'll also "second" dsalfred's comments. The dealerships I've talked with all (in their smug little way) say "why would they make any changes?" and when I ask specifically about the HP change, one guy said "it's not a racecar!". Yeah, like that kind of attitude makes me want to give my $30k to someone like that!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by lifer:
Hey walstreet,

The guy said racecar? Maybe someone needs to explain to him that the new Nissan Altima has a 240hp option and Honda is planning on upping the accord to this level by 2003 for sure to be competitive. The Odyssey weighs in at 4300 pounds and that kind of bulk needs an engine with some juice to move it. The Acura MDX has same engine tuned to 240h.p. and the 5 spd. auto already built at the same plant. This is not much of a stretch at all. Plus there have been numerous leaks about the changes already. Why would Honda not make the se great changes and "raise the bar" again as undisputed top minivan? Maybe we should go sell these things instead. I'm sure we could pitch it a whole lot better.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi DSAlfred:

Wish Honda would give us some info already. Sucks waiting for two or three months without any info. There are usually leaks but nothing solid just people who say they have friends at the plant which I doubt.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Wallstreet,
I've panned the internet for about a month now since I was about to purchase a 2001 GG EX and noticed my first rumor on an Odyssey site. The "Temple of VTEC" sight I believe. I even emailed the authors about reality of rumors and they said the horsepower one is pretty reliable. The best one I've seen that makes sense is from the Marysville plant which states that the MDX is the measuring stick for future Odyssey applications. This rumor was right with the colors and leather so why not the h.p. and other small modifications. This makes sense since both the MDX and Odyssey are produced at the same plant and the Ontario plant will continue to make about 30,000 Odysseys even after the Alabama plant opens. The engines are made there also so why run two different h.p. settings and continue with different parts when one set of diagnostics could cover both vehicles. There are just too many sources leaking the same thing and it makes perfect sense since the hp is just a tweak of the computer and exhaust and intake manifold changes. I'd bet money on the h.p. increase. I'm just hoping the 5 spd. auto comes with it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Don't you think if they put the 5spd Tranny in it would cost a significantly more like 800-1000 just for that change. What if they do a few others like dics brakes (rear) better radio the cost could be maybe 2000 more. SOunds like a big increase in price considering the body has not changed. Just my two cents. Doesn't road and track have spy info on new cars? If so maybe they know something

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I almost forgot. A minor facelift has been mentioned on several sites. With the plant change, this also makes sense to do it now as opposed to a year or two. Larger rear speakers and possible power liftgate. A tighter quality control check before production to take care of all the rattles and common problems customers have noticed in the second generation Odyssey. Side air bags are under consideration supposedly. There is a whole lot here and I can't wait to see what finally gets announced in probably August for official changes.

[This message has been edited by dsalfred (edited 06-15-2001).]

1 - 20 of 175 Posts