Honda Odyssey Forum banner

141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sa9651:
I sure hope you're right about a minimum price increase. I've got my deposit on a '02 EX, with price TBA. I did see another site estimating up to 8% increase, but this might apply to a fully loaded (ie L + RES + Side AB) model. I'll go along with your optimistic reasoning that any increase will be small to non-existant. I thought about the L option for the 4-way passenger power seat, but Texas is too dam hot for leather, so the order went in for a plain EX. I'll post as soon as any new news filters this way.</font>
I think you've made a great choice waiting for 2002's. I am #1 on the waiting list for a 02 at Alton Blakely in Somerset. I shared the same concern about the price increase, but Wayne Akers seemed pretty confident that it would not exceed $400-$600. BTW great board guys, I love to make a wise choice when buying vehicles and you all have helped a great amount!

·
Registered
100 Posts
So YOU are number 1. I put my order in today and am number 4 with Alton. Let us know if you like it and when you get a VIN. I am interested to see how long we wait!

[I am #1 on the waiting list for a 02 at Alton Blakely in Somerset

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rainmanx:
Increase in hp: its the same engine as 2001, minor increase in cost IMHO.

Warren
</font>
"Exactly" the same engine? That is to say, no significant mechanical changes? If that's the case, then the power enhancements are in the electronics and programming. Makes me wonder if they could be adapted to earlier models.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
"Exactly" the same engine? That is to say, no significant mechanical changes? If that's the case, then the power enhancements are in the electronics and programming. Makes me wonder if they could be adapted to earlier models.

Drive Safe,
Steve
</font>
The MDX has a two-stage intake manifold, kind of like the difference between the Acura CL/TL regular and Type S models. The computer must be programmed for the intake. All in all, the 240 HP doesn't sound like a much more expensive engine than the 210 HP version.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by KGBTV:
So YOU are number 1. I put my order in today and am number 4 with Alton. Let us know if you like it and when you get a VIN. I am interested to see how long we wait!

Will do. My wife and are are extremely anxious to receive our Ody. We have a small Dodge car,and with a 5 year old and a baby due at the end of September, we definitely hope it's soon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:

</font>
Moreover, Acura MDX is said to have exactly the same engine as Odyssey 2001, and it is 240 hp. Does that mean that such an electronic upgrade is theoretically available right now?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The www.collegehillshonda.com site is finally saying that the 2002's will have 240hp. Also say that the Nav is available in the EX as well as the EXL. Didn't see anything about side restraint system. They also say that pricing is TBA. My dealer called today to tell me that they will be receiving their last shipment of 01's next week, and 02's will be next. He had nothing firm on prices from Honda, so I asked him if the dealership was going to discount the 02's. Big, hearty laugh followed, but he did say they were holding to MSRP, and didn't expect any major price changes to the basic LX and EX.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello! Tribe of Odyssey,

I am new to forums so holster your flaming pistols if I don’t make absolutely accurate statements or step on any toes.

I was about to buy a 2001 Odyssey, but have requested the dealer transfer my deposit to a GG 2002 EXL-RES after reading through this forum (thanks for organizing topics, esp. 2002 newest info & To Buy 2001 or 2002) & the Yahoo Odyssey club postings (exhaustive research at best). Thanks to the information on 2002 model improvements, I will not be kicking myself for the next decade or so for having to drive a vehicle that could have been just that much better, though with our third & final child is due in late October I’m really cutting this close. I want to thank all of you!

I have several questions/observations (should I be posting each in a separate place?) all pent up from the past few weeks of reading, so please bear with me:

If even 1/2 of the discussed changes come about, especially in the area of safety features, it'll be worth the wait & the extra money. It strikes me as odd that the discussions about price increases would drive anyone to opt for the ’01 model. I’d gladly pay the extra money just to have the factory install my options instead of the dealer. In my short experience, once the dealer gets a hold of your vehicle, it’s generally all downhill from there. Any seconds on this theory?

I was under the impression that the sliding doors problems that resulted in the ’99-’00 recalls were resolved with the ’01 model (though the power doors still strike me as quirky & slow in their operation). Is this not the case? Did I miss something, or are Spanky1 & LovenLifeInMyOdy speaking of past door problems in their posts to this forum and/or hoping the newer the model, the more that’ll be fixed?

In reading through the transmission problem posts, most seem to be of the “irritation” sort, not the “leave you stranded in a bad part of town with your pregnant wife & 2 small children” sort. Last I heard, the bad guys don’t honor Honda Care extended warrantees when they’ve got your car and family up on blocks. Honda’s van transmission problems are not near the magnitude of Chrysler’s, are they?

Lastly, I am curious to see what the consensus is on the level of information available to dealer’s regarding changes for the next model year? Every single one (Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, etc.) I’ve ever talked to seems just as ignorant as a grinning stump about major changes to their entire product line that are just a few weeks away. I read Lifer’s earlier comments (The dealerships I've talked with all (in their smug little way) say "why would they make any changes?") & I thought, I KNOW THAT DEALER! Where the heck do they get these people from? They have different heads & body parts, but their brains & smirking little smiles are all imported directly from planet Sell-Sell-Sell.

Whew, is it already time for my medication again?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
’90 4Runner – great, but inadequate for a family of 5
’86 Civic – bye, bye my little old friend
’02 GG Odyssey EXL-RES w/all the fixings – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
478 Posts
tnuckels-Welcome to the forum! You will find no flaming on this forum, just a lot of good info and some very friendly folks

I am in about the same situation as you (waiting for my '02 Ody) and am still far down on the learning curve, so I will leave the answers to your questions for some more "qualified" Odyites! Good luck on your purchase...

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
75 Posts
just got the update for our parts catalog that includes the 2002 Odyssey
It doesn't yet show any accessories but it does show the RES system, side airbags.

The DVD player for the RES looks like it is a dash mounted one in the place where the cassette or in-dash changer mounts.

-Trevor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new to the board, actually I've been watching the board since I dropped my downpayment on a '02 MB EX-L Ody in May, but never registered. Pretty sure I'm #1 on the list here. Seems I've been checking this thread for daily for a month or so looking for info on the '02s. The dealer had someone back out of a '01 MB EX last month and I turned it down, now, after learning about the improvements from this board I feel the wait is well worth it. Thanks for the info.

Cornfed

[This message has been edited by Cornfed (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
That explains a lot. Most of the rumors have talked about an EXL-RES and an EXL-NAV model, which has prompted the question as to whether you can have the RES and the NAV system together.

From what you are saying, it would appear the answer is no, because the NAV models do not have that extra slot where the DVD player would go.

Now I feel even more reassured about my decision to get an '01 model with the IVES.

·
Registered
206 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tnuckels:
Hello! Tribe of Odyssey,

... though with our third & final child is due in late October ...
</font>

Congratulations! but a word of warning never say "final". I did two children ago!

- father of four.
A 9-yr. old boy, 7-yr. old girl, 21-month old boy, and a 5-week old girl.

[This message has been edited by ChadK (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
75 Posts
a bit of an update on the RES model. The DVD player is in the lower storage bin area, not up in the dash. The NAV spot is taken up with the stock radio for it. It appears to be a double din one with CD and Cassette (and possibly controls for the RES).

-Trevor

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Is it just me or the closer we get to official release info., the less patient I am becoming. The anticipation is killing me! Just release the specs., pictures and pricing already!! After that, then I can start the whole process over again when I wait for the van to arrive hopefully in September.

'02 Redrock Pearl EX

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I wish I did. I keep thinking any day now Honda will release some. Nobody even has spy photos that I know of. Car and Driver and Motortrend failed me in this respect. I'm thinking we should get all of the above in the next two weeks. Hopefully next week.

·
Registered
75 Posts
unfortunatly, no pictures yet. All I have are the drawings from the parts catalog that don't show much more than the rough shape of the item.

-Trevor

·
Registered
205 Posts
The DVD player sounds fine-my biggest concern is that the system also have auxiliary video inputs like the IVES system does so I can add a VCR and not have to buy every single kids video on DVD.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yet more "official" confirmation of most of the improvements you folks have been talking about for the past few months from Automobile Magazine, September 2001 issue, pg. 53, [Honda] section:

"Meanwhile, the popular Odyssey minivan gets a thorough makeover with a 240-hp V-6 engine coupled to a five-speed automatic transmission. Other upgrades include rear disc brakes as standard equipment, standard side air bags, a factory installed DVD rear-seat entertainment system, and (at last) optional leather upholstery."

You have just GOT to love the Internet!

141 - 160 of 175 Posts