Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the queue for a EX-L-NAVI. Everything was peachy in the brochure, except a footnote on page two inside a folded flag in tiny print - Navigation and DVD are not available together on the same Odyssey. See dealer for details.
The dealers are split on this. Some think that all they have to do is order the DVD as a part and install it; the others would install an aftermarket one (for even more that the price of the Honda option!!!).
This is madness- does anyone know why the options are mutually exclusive? The Dvd in on the roof and the Nav is in the console, what's the conflict?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The screen is on the roof.

The RES model comes with a head unit that includes CD and cassette and is the size of the NAV screen. In addition, it comes with a DVD player that's mounted lower in the dash.

So in that big honking space in the middle of the dash, you can either get the RES head unit or the NAV screen.

Look at the brochure pictures and you'll see what they've done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
The screen is on the roof.

The RES model comes with a head unit that includes CD and cassette and is the size of the NAV screen. In addition, it comes with a DVD player that's mounted lower in the dash.

So in that big honking space in the middle of the dash, you can either get the RES head unit or the NAV screen.

Look at the brochure pictures and you'll see what they've done.
</font>
I did not realize that the RES provided cassette. Thank you for enlightening me. We get both CD player (not changer) and cassette right??? Problem stems from not being able to see these vans at dealer lots and the sales literature is not very detailed either (when compared to the Dodge vans where they give you more than you would ever want to know)... The experts on ODY's are clearly here on this website.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wonder which genius at Honda decided you could get dvd or navi,not both? Does he or she still have a job?

From a marketing/merchandising perspective what's the logic of building a car where you can't sell (and wring out the profit from) every possible option?

·
Registered
205 Posts
ODY_Dataseek - it's a little complicated and not that easy to explain, but I'll give it a go.
The STANDARD (EX or EX-L) dash space consists of an area for ventilation controls above a 1 3/4 DIN-sized space, of which 1 DIN is used for the Radio/CD player head unit and the 3/4 DIN space is used as a little cubby hole. The 2002 brochure shows this clearly.

On the EX-L RES (DVD entertainment system), the ventilation controls stay the same as the EX-L, but the entire 1 3/4 DIN-sized space below it is taken up with a special CD player/radio/cassette player unit, that also controls the DVD player and other functions of the overhead DVD console for backseat passengers. Basically it allows you to select any source for playback through the vehicles speakers, and any source for playback through the overhead console and wireless headphones. The 2002 brochure unfortunately does not have a picture of this head unit.

In the EX-L NAV, the ventilation controls are moved up the dash to join the center vents, to allow space for the approximately 1 3/4 DIN-sized Navigation display (that also includes some ventilation functions I believe) AND still retain the 1 DIN-sized EX/EX-L standard radio/CD player below it. There is no space for the 3/4 DIN-sized cubby hole. The brochure shows this clearly.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, Japanese version of Odyssey, called Lagreat, has an option for RES+NAV. See the picture at their site (http://www.honda.co.jp/LAGREAT/time/comfort.html). They are also built in Canada as our Ody and will be built in Lincoln. So, NAV+RES must be possible. My guess is that such variation will be out to us for 2003 model.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Well, I can tell you that frequently the marketing team will show something that isn't really a real product. I know this has happened with my company; "yeah, well, we planned for this, but it isn't really going to happen. Ignore the picture on the brochure."

I'm not saying that this has happened with Honda, but I'm saying that until I see one, I don't really believe the brochure. Marketing people are strange people. They have no qualms about creating funky advertising materials that are designed to get you interested, but are not designed to show reality.

·
1,484 Posts
The problem is the headunit Honda uses. The one for the NAVI is able accept NAVI voice, automatically mute the stereo when NAVI speaks, and can accept steering controls.

The headunit for the RES is able to accept RES audio, control the RES, accept steering wheel controls, seperate CD/cassette audio from RES audio, acts as a CD and cassette player and has option for auxilary inputs. And possibly other things I'm might have overlooked.

Now if only they can make a single-din headunit that can do all then it would be okay.

As for now the way to enjoy NAVI with DVD/PS2/VHS is by getting an "iVES" (not RES) installed in a EX-L NAVI. Then plugging in a PS2 into the auxilary inputs.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ahhh, remember the good ol' days when we used to use those things called "maps" or actually ask another human being for directions. And entertainment for the kids meant singing songs or playing games or coloring in a coloring book. You know, not too long ago--when having an in-dash CD player was considered a luxury. Oh, wait! My wife and I still do that! And to think, our kids don't even know what they're missing!

Madness, you say??? September 11th--THAT was madness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm in the process of creating of creating the ultimate mobile DVD\NAV\PC console for my Ody. I will be sure to post pics when complete.

So far, it consists of a Shuttle spacewalker system w/900MHz celeron, 14in TFT LCD, 5in Sharp LCD, and a variety of software components. All I need is to get it installed and to get a GPS reciever and I will be set.

I can provide more information, if you desire

Total cost < $1000

It's great to be geek

·
Registered
854 Posts
i had the dealer install IVES and I am really happy with it. I don't have a dvd burner yet so I'm using VHS for now. Once I get a dvd burner then I'll burn to dvd and buy a PS2 or one of the no-screen dvd players someone here mentioned and connect it to the aux rca ports. all my dvds are kept in a jukebox so I won't be taking them out of there unless i find a way to make copies.

very happy with ives so far. no distortion at all through the radio.

i added the subwoofer also, but i am still not happy with the sound. looks like i might have replace the speakers also. one thing cool about the subwoofer is that they but a cutoff switch on the dash.

·
Registered
854 Posts
one more thing about ives, it finally makes the power outlet useful for cell phones. it's in horizontal position and higer up on the console, so you can buy one of those handsfree/charging kits and actually use it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts