Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2002 Honda Odyssey LX has served us well with 298,400 miles. We wanted a newer car for our long road trips and one with AWD for the winter, so a replacement car was purchased last year. I've kept the Odyssey as a 3rd car for when kids come home and for hauling stuff around town. I even took it for a 800 mile round trip road trip this summer.

I wasn't sure if I needed to keep the van anymore - Do I really haul that much? How often is a 3rd car needed.

Anyways, I was thinking of trying to sell it but it doesn't appear that there's much of a market for a used car with 300K miles. I don't want to spend much money on it to keep it going. I could just drive it until something breaks and then send it to the junkyard.

Just wondering if anyone has other thoughts on how to dispose of the car in some manner - and possibly get $1000 - $1500 for it (or am I too optimistic on that)?

Thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well, it has value to you if you keep it and drive it, not sure how much value to others, but if you ahve kept up with maintenance, then it could last someone for quite a while longer. I had a 2004 go to 342K and it was running great when it was totaled. So, that van could go a good while longer, but most folks won't gamble on that, but would be great for you if you need another vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Three options I can think of:
1) Drive it until it dies and not worth repairing
2) Donation
3) Give it to a family member or a friend

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
Also quite useful for young rock bands. But I think $500-800. is probably more like it. That might put it into just keep it around territory.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I was thinking of trying to sell it but it doesn't appear that there's much of a market for a used car with 300K miles.
You are probably right, but you could probably get $500 for it. Even that would be better than $0 if you let it die then take it to the junk yard.

Another option would be to part it out, especially if the interior and the body are in reasonably good shape. However, you would need the space to keep it, and also it would take your time to extract the parts.

Dave

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Out here in the SF Bay area, old Gen2 Odysseys with blown transmissions typically list on Craigslist for $1k. So I'd think it should be worth more than that, at least.

I'm in a similar boat to the OP. '99 EX, original owner, just rolled past 235k miles, running great, no end in sight, don't really need it any more (kids at college, 5 other cars including a 2011 Odyssey), insurance+registration costing $500/year, what to do ??? ...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an 02 with 460K kilometers. It gets me to the dump, the lumber yard, and everywhere else I go. I know eventually it will let me down but this doesn't deter me from long trips. When she dies my visa card will get it towed to a location my choice. My beef is the corrosion that is just starting at the rear wheel wells and at the gas tank fill spout. The only money I plan on spending on it is oil changes and tranny fluid changes. Still on original tranny.

·
Registered
961 Posts
A running car with no obvious serious issues is probably worth $1k, to somebody. A friend of mine speculates that for these older cars, people buy them for $1k and drive them until they break, repairing nothing. If they get a year, that is a car for $83/month.

I know last time I sold a near 20 yr old car, the buyer (a relative of a friend) was very reluctant to even look at it. The friend pretty much made them and they were amazed at good the car was at 20 yrs. Can't say the same for the Ody, which is much the worse for wear.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
A running car with no obvious serious issues is probably worth $1k, to somebody. A friend of mine speculates that for these older cars, people buy them for $1k and drive them until they break, repairing nothing. If they get a year, that is a car for $83/month.
I'd hear stories about people doing this too, back in college. Except back in those days, the limit was $200. And they had very strict rules about maintenance. You could add oil if it was low. But no oil changes were allowed. Whenever it broke, you moved onto the next one with the $200 you had saved in maintenance and repair expenses.

Not really my style, but interesting, and I can see how people could make that work. And those were the days after horses, but before cell phones. LOLZ. I remember my running friends and I would all be sure to leave an old pair of running shoes and shorts, etc. in the car - that was the most essential item of the repair kit. If you break down, you get your running shoes on and can still get where you need to go, and come back and deal with the car later. Or not. :ahh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Three options I can think of:
1) Drive it until it dies and not worth repairing
2) Donation
3) Give it to a family member or a friend
Here's #4: If you need the cash and don't want to mess with a private sale, the scrap value is substantial. When we bought our 08 Ody new, the 1st gen Windstar ('95) was far beyond repair, the dealer wanted no part of it in a trade. The 'car-crusher' scrap yard gave me $400 for it, based on weight & current metals prices. (cat converter worth $150!) That $500 junker strategy looks more like break-even...when scrap value is considered. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My beef is the corrosion that is just starting at the rear wheel wells and at the gas tank fill spout. The only money I plan on spending on it is oil changes and tranny fluid changes. Still on original tranny.
Interesting - my Ody is rust free except for both rear wheel wells (around the edges), just below the gas tank fill door, and also the bottom of the tailgate (the tailgate is not original - was replaced after a rear-end accident). For being in a winter environment for 16 years, it's done well. The corrosion around the wheel wells is the worst (probably not surprising due to thea mount of salt in that area). It does look like it's coming from the inside.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll probably hang on to it through the holidays with kids coming home (3rd car will be helpful). I'll then look into some of the options presented - scrap value, selling it cheap on craigslist, or just keeping it. After having it for 16 years, it's still fun to drive, less than $250/year for insurance/license, and it's a great "pickup" alternative for hauling stuff. I guess it comes down to whether or not I want to try to get $500 - $1000 for it or spend $250 a year to keep it (and not spend any money on repairs).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Call Honda HQ in Torrance CA and let them know one of these transmissions made it to 300,000 miles. It may want to buy it from you and dissect the engine to figure out the secret to its spotty longevity.

·
Registered
126 Posts
hey,hey,hey, think of the sentimental value, rather than sell mine I think i'll enter her in a demolishion derby, I'll likely walk away the winner.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The original transmission failed at 73K - just out of warranty. Honda provided a remanufactured transmission - I paid for labor. So the Honda rebuilt transmission lasted 225K miles - and still going. I replaced the transmission fluid every 25K - 30K miles. Early in the life of the car, I was probably doing only 1 drain/refill. As the car earned more miles, I changed to 3 drain/refills every 25K miles. I didn't have any major issues with the transmission. Last year, the transmission code for the 4th clutch pressure switch appeared. I took it to Honda for replacement and asked them to check out the transmission as long as they were working on it. They indicated that everything was working fine. There was a high pitched whine at higher speeds at times - Honda indicated this was not a problem. I'm happy that the 2nd transmission worked well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the follow up on this thread. Thanks to all for your responses.

I did decide to put the odyssey up for sale. Browsing through ads selling Odysseys in the 2000 - 2004 vintage, prices were ranging from $1400 - $3000. There were vans selling in the 900 - 1200 range but they typically had transmission or other more significant mechanical issues. Only a couple of these vans had miles over 280K. I put it up for $1600 and after two weeks sold it for $1450. This was the only serious inquiry I had for the van. As happens for these older vehicles, a person comfortable with high mileage/older/cheap vehicles happened to be looking for a replacement vehicle. Hopefully they'll get the van over 300K and get a year or two use out of it. If I didn't sell it in a month or so, I was just going to keep it for the winter and maybe try again next spring.

I do miss the van a bit. It served our family well for 17 years - not trouble free, but nothing unreasonable for almost 300K miles of use. I'll miss the hauling capability. It's amazing how much gear we hauled in it on our family vacations. The available space was awesome - especially with the big car top carrier! Of course, it carried its fair share of 4x8 sheets of wood, furniture, and other large items - especially on those college moves. I was going back and forth on whether to keep it - especially for dirty hauling and driving it around town, but decided we really didn't need a 3rd vehicle. I guess it will be one less vehicle to take care of.

The Ody forum has been great for helping with various issues and questions. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
My youngest is 23 and we still replaced our Gen2 van with a Gen3. Just too handy to have one of these and they drive so nice. My 00 with 200k and a big rust hole under the rear bumper sold in a couple days.

Good luck in the future!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our 2002 Honda Odyssey LX has served us well with 298,400 miles. We wanted a newer car for our long road trips and one with AWD for the winter, so a replacement car was purchased last year. I've kept the Odyssey as a 3rd car for when kids come home and for hauling stuff around town. I even took it for a 800 mile round trip road trip this summer.

I wasn't sure if I needed to keep the van anymore - Do I really haul that much? How often is a 3rd car needed.

Anyways, I was thinking of trying to sell it but it doesn't appear that there's much of a market for a used car with 300K miles. I don't want to spend much money on it to keep it going. I could just drive it until something breaks and then send it to the junkyard.

Just wondering if anyone has other thoughts on how to dispose of the car in some manner - and possibly get $1000 - $1500 for it (or am I too optimistic on that)?

Thanks
Yes, the van is still valuable! Last year for $1,000 I bought a 2002 Odyssey with 210,000 miles on it from someone who'd bought it from a used car dealer so don't know its history. Tire replacement will cost more than I paid for the entire van. I changed a VVT (variable valve timing) seal near the oil filter and am now hunting down its occasional issue not going above second gear which appears to be a faulty shift solenoid. The van has a lot of minor issues like instrument panel and clock backlights burnt out but runs well enough. Not perfect but well. I had the dealer replace the timing belt and water pump while adjusting the valves. ($1,800) I have spent far less than a year's worth of car payments and put 15,000 on it so far.
Someone else may not value it like you do so it's resale value will be low. I'll bet it costs far less than your new vehicle. I notice you took it on your 800 mile round trip & not the newer vehicle. My question is why not sell the newer vehicle before it loses more resale value, save or invest the car payments you won't be making and drive the older 2002 Ody? Three car payments should pay for most repairs it will need. Just keep the ensure the transmission filters & fluids are changed. Best of luck!

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
I think he was pretty clear that they wanted a newer vehicle with AWD for winter. Having a 2002 with over 240k myself, I can understand wanting a newer vehicle for long trips.We replaced my wife's car for long trips and I keep the 02 as a beater, driving it every day and working out of it. Having that newer car (an Acura RDX) makes getting back into mine painful. I bet the 800 mile round trip was to pick up or drop off a college kid and all their stuff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts