Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought our 2002 Odyssey EX last week, the dealer sold me an upgraded alarm. Not sure what it's called...LX-1? EX-1? How do I know whether the dealer did install this upgrade? Thanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the dealer, the features added is electric shock sensor, alarm trigger on shock violation, $2000 1yr deductible reimbursement guarantee, and 3yr contents (air bag, radio, rims, battery) and personal effects, $500 deductible reimbursement guarantee. I still am not sure whether it's called the LX-1 or EX-1 Factory Alarm Upgrade. I paid about $3/month extra for this upgrade.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got the same upgrade which was installed in the van before i picked it up. They said they would remove it if i wanted and was asking $595 for it. They said it was because of insurance issues cause they had 3 cars stolen with the last month and the insurance co. wanted them to fence in the lot or put in an alarm on all cars. I said, remove away and all the sudden the price dropped to $200. I figured for about $66 a year i get the shock sensor and car replacement insurance for the three years, not too bad.
the way to tell is there should be a green light mounted around the lower edge of the dash, below the steering column, if there is one and its got a push button on the back then you have the KARR EX-1 alarm. The shock sensor is not great as it give alot of false readings unless you set it down to almost no sensitively. Had i known, i wouldn't of had them leave it in. I had to set ours to 2 sensitive with 8 being the most sensitive.
which dealer did you go to? i went to renton honda in renton, washington. Ken

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...good...atleast I got the name of the alarm...so it's the EX-1. I'm in Southern California, got my Ody in Hardin Honda in Anaheim. Same thing happened with my dealer. At first, the dealer offered the alarm upgrade for $600, when I declined, he offered it for $180. Weird. Anyway I went for it...only $3/month extra. I will have the dealer inspect the Ody tomorrow to verify that indeed it has been installed.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I notice that hondaparts4you had an EX alarm system for $169. I was going to call them to find out what it was, but your topic answered what i wanted to know. Thanks.
If you don't mind me asking, did you get your EX at MSRP? did you have to play the salemens games to get price lowered? do they put dealer add on options on all their Odys? I can understand why they put the alarm system due to their insurance. I'll be looking for my Ody, starting this weekend.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We paid $31,290 for EX-L Odyssey. It didn't come with navi nor the factory RES. It did come with an Audiovox in-dash DVD player, overhead console monitor (Audiovox), remote control, mud guards, wheel locks, cargo tray, 6yr 100k extended warranty. Today, the installer will come to my work to install the upgraded alarm that was included in the purchase. If you're thinking about getting a DVD player, if I were you I'd get the factory RES...it's a much cleaner solution and offers more features...but no TV tuner though. It was too late when I realized it in the car manual.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got the upgraded alarm installed. It was actually just a shock sensor. If your car is hit slightly or if someone tries to tow your Ody, it'll alarm. It's just an additional feature to the existing alarm...not an entire replacement. There's also a new green light mounted below the dashboard on the driver's side that flashes. So now I have two red (factory alarm and head unit) and a green light that flashes when the alarm is activated. NEAT!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JoesYum:
I notice that hondaparts4you had an EX alarm system for $169. I was going to call them to find out what it was, but your topic answered what i wanted to know. Thanks.
</font>
JoesYum,
What you are looking at is actually the add on security system for '99-'00 EX models. You see, those model years had a keyless entry system, but no alarm system built in. To get horn honk, entry detection, and glass breakage detection, you needed to add this add on unit. In '01-'02 EX, the security system is built in.... Just FYI...

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyelec01.html

p.s.- HandA has this on special for $109, since most '99-'00 owners probably won't add the alarm if they haven't done so by this point....

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AlpineMan:
Just got the upgraded alarm installed. It was actually just a shock sensor. If your car is hit slightly or if someone tries to tow your Ody, it'll alarm. It's just an additional feature to the existing alarm...not an entire replacement. There's also a new green light mounted below the dashboard on the driver's side that flashes. So now I have two red (factory alarm and head unit) and a green light that flashes when the alarm is activated. NEAT!</font>
Hi, AlpineMan,
Here's the Karr website.. Sounds like what they describe as the LX-II...

http://www.karrsecurity.com/auto.htm#Factory%20Plus+%20Upgrade%20for

Basically, you get:

- Electric Shock Sensor
- Ignition Triggered Auto Lock / Unlock
- Starter Disable on Shock Violation
- $2,000 One Year Deductible Reimbursement Guarantee
- 3 Year Contents (Air Bag, Radio, Rims, Battery) and Personal Effects, $500 Deductible Reimbursement Guarantee

Is this what you got?

Seems a bit pricey as an add on, even at $180...

A couple of other comments (sorry, wish I coulda posted these earlier!)

- I personally dislike shock sensors as they tend false all the time (as kanadary mentioned)
- Starter disable really doesn't add any extra security, relative to the Immobilizer that is built in to every Ody produced..
- Warranty seems a bit limited, based on the fact that you are likely to get better coverage/$$/month from your auto insurance agent.

In any event, just a couple of (late) comments for reference; I wouldn't recommend this setup for those shopping for an add on alarm. You can get more features, etc... if you go aftermarket, even at the <$200 price point.

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by shinjohn:
JoesYum,
What you are looking at is actually the add on security system for '99-'00 EX models.

-----------------------------------------
shinjohn, If you goto hondaparts4you.com they list alarm system for both LX and EX. I guess its just a Electric Shock Sensor added on to to EX alarm system.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JoesYum:

-----------------------------------------
shinjohn, If you goto hondaparts4you.com they list alarm system for both LX and EX. I guess its just a Electric Shock Sensor added on to to EX alarm system.
</font>
What I am saying is that there is only one alarm system sold as a HONDA branded option. That's what I'm pretty sure hondaparts4you is selling. And that add on Honda alarm only works for '99-'00 EX Odys. I presume this is true since the list price on hondaparts4you matches that on the HandA website. Call them to be 100% sure. I'd hate for you to order something that is not compatible with your Ody if you have an '01 or '02.

Good Luck!!

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
317 Posts
Alpineman, as Shin John stated, if you can get them to remove it, go for it, didn't think about the vehicle replacement angle from my insurance agency when i got it last year. the shock sensor sucks and all i really wanted was a hood switch, which i was surprised honda didn't offer as standard equipment, even my 87 MBenz has one. Anyways, i wouldn't have taken one if i knew what i know now. Ken

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
What I am saying is that there is only one alarm system sold as a HONDA branded option. That's what I'm pretty sure hondaparts4you is selling. And that add on Honda alarm only works for '99-'00 EX Odys. I presume this is true since the list price on hondaparts4you matches that on the HandA website. Call them to be 100% sure. I'd hate for you to order something that is not compatible with your Ody if you have an '01 or '02.

Good Luck!!

</font>
Thanks for the info, one thing i hate about hondaparts4you is, they really do not put enuff info on their websit, but i do like their price with free shipping and no sales tax for me. I'm not even sure i want this add on $169 is kinda pricy for shock sensor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
kanadary said:
I got the same upgrade which was installed in the van before i picked it up. They said they would remove it if i wanted and was asking $595 for it. They said it was because of insurance issues cause they had 3 cars stolen with the last month and the insurance co. wanted them to fence in the lot or put in an alarm on all cars. I said, remove away and all the sudden the price dropped to $200. I figured for about $66 a year i get the shock sensor and car replacement insurance for the three years, not too bad.
the way to tell is there should be a green light mounted around the lower edge of the dash, below the steering column, if there is one and its got a push button on the back then you have the KARR EX-1 alarm. The shock sensor is not great as it give alot of false readings unless you set it down to almost no sensitively. Had i known, i wouldn't of had them leave it in. I had to set ours to 2 sensitive with 8 being the most sensitive.
which dealer did you go to? i went to renton honda in renton, washington. Ken
Dealer installed KARR EX-2 on my 04 ody when was purchasing
the vehicle. Sales person said they have installed alarm already
on the vehicle as a standard precaution on new stock they get
everyday. They said it is going to cost $695 if i want to keep that
alarm system. I did not took that offer so they eventually
removed the alarm system but they have all wiring and plugs
are still there with the vehicle. It looks like if i get the karr alarm
box i would install it by myself. But it seems like it is not necessary
as current alarm ( with immobilizer ) which was installed on EX
as a standard equipment does work very well. But there is no
shock sensor installed on my vehicle so no alarm when some one
hits the vehicle.

Dealer did a very nasty wiring to install KARR ( lot of taps, yak!! ).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts