Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in New Zealand for several years driving a high-mileage 2002 Odyssey "Prestige" which was imported here from Japan. I failed the annual warrant of fitness (safety inspection) because the SRS lamp doesn't light up during it's self-test period. It appears someone has disconnected the indicator or a bulb is burned out.

I've been trying to find an online source for service manuals/schematics before I dive into the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you remove the gauge cluster, you'll see a bunch of bulbs on the back. You can buy them online for probably 3-4 USD each from a dealership. I am not sure exactly which bulb it is on there, but a good start might be to swap around the non essential bulbs in to that spot just to make sure it's a bad bulb.

@John Clark may be able to help a bit more or At least might know who might be able to help

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
928 Posts
On my '96 RA1 I removed my SRS bulb because I had an issue that the dealer couldn't resolve without spending a lot. At the time, they said replace the SRS module for $600 and they could not guarantee it would fix my problem!
So check and replace the bulb in the cluster first!! If SRS bulb is missing, use the D3 bulb!

I know that on the RA-1 there is an open blue connector under the glove box that can be jumpered and ABS codes will blink out on the cluster. On my RL-1 there is a similar connector by the driver side fuse box that I used to blink out SRS codes on the cluster. I used that to verify that my seat belt connector had a failure that was covered under US warranty. Reviewing my RA-1 manual, that same jumper under the glove box blinks the SRS codes as well as ABS.
Now I do do not know if the connectors are on the same location on JDM models- steering wheel is swapped between yours and mine! And I don't know if RB-1 keeps the connector in the same RA-1 location, or if it moved like on my RL-1.
I got the jumper info for my RL-1 an Odyclub member posted a link to an Acura forum that had pictures and process to get the codes. This process and location was the same on my Odyssey. Could be the same for your RB-1. Just that our driver side is your passenger side!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen, thanks so much for the fast, friendly advice!

UPDATE: I removed the instrument cluster and found it to look quite a bit different from the US-version. There are no filiment-style bulbs. Taking the back off the unit I noticed two things:

1: It has PCB-mounted LEDs
2: Some (expletive) previous owner placed a small piece of cardboard over the SRS lamp. I presume it was to cheat the safety inspection or perhaps to fool the next owner.

Now I'm turning my attention to finding the SRS service jack and trying a memory reset....

·
Registered
928 Posts
PCB mounted leds. That confirms what another member from down under recently posted. Glad it was easy to fix the light. Like me, it was to expensive to fix and I removed the light. In my case, it was unclear if the bags would deploy in an accident. I always wear my seat belts and I wasn't concerned about extra airbag protection.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
The right hand drive Odyssey you have is an evolution of the 1995-1998 Odysseys sold in North America.
They did briefly sell the big Odyssey in Japan, calling it a LaGreat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts