Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't rambled for a while
The more I think about my 2002 Odyssey the less impressed I am with it. I mean, I think I made the right purchasing decision, but I'm starting to doubt whether this van is engineered any better or is more reliable than some other brands out there. My first new car was a 1999 Ford Contour SVT. In retrospect, I'm starting to think I was *really* anal about the problems I had with that car. I recall b*tching about the windows rattling when rolled down. I remember complaining about all the rattles and creaks. Every once in a while the d*mn thing wouldn't start unless I let it crank for a few seconds. Anecdotal evidence at least suggests that all of these problems exist in the 2002 Odyssey --they all exist in mine anyway
. Was I being too picky then and should I just accept that neither $20k nor $30k will get you a vehicle without these types of problems? Will $40k do it? I eventually had a tranny problem that Ford just wouldn't fix. If Ford had fixed the tranny straight away I would very likely be driving a Windstar right now. Quite frankly, I don't think I would have been any worse off in terms of product. Honda service is what's making the difference right now...knock on wood. I'm not at all worried that my dealership will take care of any problems I have, which is a pleasant feeling...one I certainly did not have with the Ford. So far, I give the 2002 Odyssey average ratings as a product. Honda's saving grace has been the service.

·
Registered
79 Posts
delete post oopsie DP!

[This message has been edited by sahm (edited 02-04-2002).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
ok i owned a green '93 town and country chrysler POS. at first i thought it was a great van. but as time went by..from the moment i bought it to when i sold it,
i heard rattles and bumps etc... 2 weeks ago when i sold it, it had torn leather ( i tried to take care of the leather) all of the plastic mouldings and interior were cracked or broken from heat and stress. the speakers were crackling because some design brainiac poorly designed the speakers, the struts were shot, the AC had a leak that no one could find. i guess what im trying to say is that the minor things were driving me nutz for the last 5 years! I can understand your delema.
ill let you know in a few years if I love or hate my honda van. my guess is ill love it. we have had hondas for the last ten years with no problems. And we run those vehicles in the ground!
well anyhoo GL!
toodles
sahm
proud owner of a 2002 RP exl- dvd
and a '94 accord sedan 4cly.

ps the only thing i miss form my town and country is the outside temperature gage and the Distance to empty gas gage.

------------------
  • :D 2002 Odyssey
    EX with Leather and DVD Entertainment System
    in Redrock Pearl
  • 1994 accord 4cyl LX

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also miss the "distance til empty" gauge but the outside tempurature I have. I had the dealer install an autodimming rear view mirror that has a compass and temp gauge right in it. I think it's made by Donnelly Corp. My dealer suggested it and I highly recommend it. I love the autodimming feature.

------------------
2002 EX-L
replaced front speakers w/ JLA's
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Cassette Player
Heartland console

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're familiar with the little lever on the bottom of a standard mirror that you flip to stop the glare of a cars lights from behind you, then you know what auto dim is.

It adjusts itself automatically (and gradually) so that you are not blinded from a cars lights in your rear view mirror.

Very handy, very nice. I was actually suprised that Honda didn't offer it as standard (or at least as an option).

Scott

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sgergen:
...If you're familiar with the little lever on the bottom of a standard mirror that you flip to stop the glare of a cars lights from behind you, then you know what auto dim is.

It adjusts itself automatically (and gradually) so that you are not blinded from a cars lights in your rear view mirror.

Very handy, very nice. I was actually suprised that Honda didn't offer it as standard (or at least as an option).

Scott
</font>
IMHO, I greatly prefer dimming the rearview mirror by hand rather than letting an autodimmer do it. I'm glad autodim is not standard on the Ody.

On one vehicle I owned, the autodim would flip the mirror when I didn't want it to and not flip it when I needed it. On rare occassion, I was glancing in the mirror when it would flip, causing distraction.

For safety reasons, I finally turned off off autodim feature via the switch and resorted to dimming the mirror manually.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The autodim mirror on my Dakota does not "flip", it has a light sensor that senses headlights shining on it and then darkens to a green tint. I think it does this electro-chemically, but am not totally sure. No movement of the mirror is involved. It think this is also the way the Donnely mirrors that people have retrofitted work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts