Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Odyssey EX. The driver's side window has been intermittent for a while. Now it's stopped working all together. All other windows work fine with the driver's side power window switch. So I ordered a new/used driver's side window switch from ebay. Plugged it in and now none of the windows respond.

I know there are ways to do a manual reset, but haven't been able to find instructions for the '02. Why would the new switch not work for any of the windows? What am i missing here?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
jtohm said:
I have a 2002 Odyssey EX. The driver's side window has been intermittent for a while. Now it's stopped working all together. All other windows work fine with the driver's side power window switch. So I ordered a new/used driver's side window switch from ebay. Plugged it in and now none of the windows respond.

I know there are ways to do a manual reset, but haven't been able to find instructions for the '02. Why would the new switch not work for any of the windows? What am i missing here?

Thanks.
I should have added, this is the second switch I have tried (from different sources) and the same problem happened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update! Never got a response from anyone but I think this drivers side window is finally figured out after years of off and on functioning.

I can't quite remember why the new/used driver side switch wouldn't work. I think because it may have been from a different year or a different trim. I went back to the original one which gave me back control of the other windows. I took apart the door to poke around and in the process the driver side window started to respond again. Put it back together and got a good long while of use before the intermittent problem began again. Banging the door with your hand or slamming it shut would sometimes get function back. When it would not respond despite banging, taking off the door seemed to get it working again. Finally I had a new alternator put in and the problem went away for a few weeks. I thought the stinger alternator was sending more juice to the window motor and I was probably dealing with a motor that was dieing. Although, looking back I should have realized that because there was not even a clicking noise when it wasn't working should have been a tip that it was a connection.

I replaced the motor and arm assembly, $40 on Amazon, and it worked for a few weeks, then back to intermittent and non responsive. Today I took off the driver side switch and noticed I could get it working by pulling on the wires that came up to the driver side switch. I did this by unscrewing the driver side switch and reaching my hand down. I could make it unresponsive by pushing the wires down. Ok we have a fault somewhere. Took the door off and inspected all the wireing finally found the 4 prong plug that the window regulator/motor plugs into near the bottom of the door was faulty. If pushed tightly together it's did not work, if pulled slightly apart it worked. Decided to cut out the plug and hard wire it instead. Everything works great. Specifically I think it was the black wire connector that was bad. I'm posting this because if this plug failed on me then I'm sure it's the culprit for others. I know this window is a common problem so I hope this helps someone. I know I've fixed a lot of things from random posts like this.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Intermittent electrical problems are the toughest to solve. Your post may give someone something else to check.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts