Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a 2 hour road trip today south of Phoenix to Tucson. The van was driving just fine at 75-80 mph. About 30 miles out, we suddenly started smelling something burning and I noticed my speed decreasing. I immediately associated it with the transmission slipping. We immediately pulled off onto the shoulder and I popped the hood.

There was transmission fluid on the ground on the drivers side and what looks like it had sprayed all over the rear of the motor on the same side. The puddle wasn't a lot. I'd say maybe 1/2 a quart if that. But the fluid all over the rear of the motor was obvious. We sat there for about 15 minutes but couldn't tell AAA exactly where we were on the road. I could see an exit maybe 1.5 miles ahead and decided to see if I could nurse it down to the exit as sitting on the shoulder with semis going by at 80mph is nerve wrecking.

Weird thing was that it was not slipping and drove perfectly fine to the exit where we parked at the gas station. The AAA driver drove it just fine onto the truck ramp and it drove off the truck just fine and I parked it in my driveway. It's as if a hose sprung a leak at high pressure or something on the rear somewhere but everything is wet and hard to tell. I'm going to pressure wash everything in the morning and remove the air box etc so I can see in the rear. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was the result and what should I check and/or look????

I had the transmission rebuilt about 30k miles ago and it's since out of warranty but has been fine until today with the leak. Perfect timing as I just got laid off on Thursday and was driving my Father in Law who's visiting from Maine to Tucson as he's a Geologist and wanted to go to a gem show there. So if this is something I can fix myself, that'd be amazing as funds are limited.
Thank you very much. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Maybe its just a hose/connection leak or the fluid came out of the snorkel due to overfilling? Jack up the front end and clean everything. Should be obvious if its still leaking from the hose line. Easy fix if thats the case. Just get more fluid for sure.

·
Registered
13,862 Posts
Rebuild 30k ago? Should be on your second fluid change. There have been reports of these things spitting fluid when it's overfilled and very hot. Did you add a trans cooler?

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
The Gen 2 5-speed is prone to overheating during prolonged high speed driving. When the transmission overheats, it blows some fluid out the breather tube (located just right of the battery, secured to a radiator hose).

There's probably no resulting damage, except for the ATF which should be changed. (See other threads on doing a triple drain and fill service.) Total cost should be less than $100.

Did the transmission rebuilder install an auxiliary ATF cooler? Most do, as the factory cooler is grossly insufficient. If not, you should plan on installing one.

Sounds like your speed 75-80 MPH is normal for that highway. Next time, plan a rest stop about every hour to allow the transmission to cool down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like it overheated.

This happened to me over the summer. see my post about it and do what I did

1 - 5 of 5 Posts