Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone who is now driving a 2002 check the owner's manual (and the engine) and report on what the oil requirement is, i.e. 5W-20 or 5W-30? Would be interesting considering the confusion with the 2001.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Very interesting. I recall from the letter from Honda that says the right oil is 5W-30 but the 2002 manual says 5W-20!

That's correct 5W-20. It says it multiple times on page 285-286 and also the last page (summary). The cap also states 5W-20. There can be no confusion.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The letter from Honda was written before the 2002 models came out, correct? So the 2002 models have a different oil spec. So what? No big deal.

I wonder what the MDX oil requirement is. Care to guess?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
The first thing my salesman did is say the oil spec was wrong and scratched it out in my manual 5W-20 and wrote 10W-30. Will someone with more time than me please call Honda and get the right answer?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Today while taking delivery my salesman immediately scratched out the 5w-20 spec in our manual and wrote 10W-30. Would someone with more time than me contact Honda and ask what the heck the RIGHT story is?

·
Registered
32 Posts
There can be NO confusion for 2002. It says 5W-20 on the manual and on the van.

One more thing, it warns against 5W-30. If used, replace at next earliest interval. I'll try to get the exact quote when I get home.

[This message has been edited by rainmanx (edited 09-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by rainmanx (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
then why the in H$#%$ would the dealersw be scratching that out? Someone please call Honda-I dont have the number.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The manual is EXPLICITLY clear. DO NOT take the word of a SALESMAN on this issue.

The salesmen are saying this because they are SKANKY IDIOTS who wouldn't be able to find their asses with both hands.

I wouldn't buy a pencil from those guys. I'd give the car back, take my money back, and go somewhere else.

5W-20. PERIOD. That's what the 02 owner's manual says over and over and over again. And I'll confirm: it does say "use 5W-30 if you have to, but replace it with the proper 5W-20 at your earliest convenience".

My Honda dealer has only 5W-30 and 5W-20 oil in stock. The guy who says "use 10W-30" should be shot. Maybe he should pay for an engine out of his own pocket; he'll change his tune.

He's a SALESMAN. Do you know how to tell when a salesman is lying? Do you?

That's right. When his lips are moving, he's lying.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My new 2002 Helms manual says 5W-20 for 2002. It also confirms 5W-30 for 2001. So that's three for three, minus one salesman.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 V70 T5 - White w/ graphite leather

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a 02 EXL SS on order for del in mid Oct. I currently use Mobil 1 5W-30. If the new 02 calls for 5 20 I certainly will use it. However, I looked at a Wallmart superstore last night and found only Fomoco simisynthetic in 5W 20. I would like to know if Mobil has a 5W-20? Any one know? If not who does? Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by POR5CHE:
No Mobil1 5W-20 oil on their Website. http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp Other mfg's have 5W-20 but not familiar with any of them.

Do you recommend doing Break-in period with "normal oil" then switching to a synthetic oil?
</font>
Good question! In the past, I started with synthetic and maintained with good results. My '96 Ranger w/ 4.0 has 91K and is really doing well. I am sorry Mobil 1 does not have 5W-20. I really am partial to this oil. However, if I have to have a different weight, I might as well consider a different brand. Any one have ideas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amsoil has developed a 5W-20 full synthetic oil specifically for the 2001 and up Ford and Honda vehicles that specify 5W-20. It meets and exceeds all Ford and Honda specs. I'm planning to start using it in my 2001 Odyssey at the 7500 mile mark.

·
Registered
273 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazzfan:
Amsoil has developed a 5W-20 full synthetic oil specifically for the 2001 and up Ford and Honda vehicles that specify 5W-20. It meets and exceeds all Ford and Honda specs. I'm planning to start using it in my 2001 Odyssey at the 7500 mile mark.</font>

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have never heard or Amsoil oil. Where is it found? Any one know the brand Honda sells?
At any rate I don't need to know for some time yet - others might!
I did not know Ford had switched to 5W-20. My other car, a 98 Acura RL calls for 3W30. At any rate I am going to need to stock to different oils. I do all my own maintenance.
Thanks for all this info. A. B. Hair

·
Registered
211 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have never heard or Amsoil oil. Where is it found? </font>
Amsoil is supposed to be a very good brand of oil (Redline is also). As far as I know, it is sold mostly by race shops, and individual amsoil distributers. I have never seen it in a "regular" store. I think you can purchase direct from Amsoil at:

http://www.amsoil.com/

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts