Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm almost at 400k with my Odyssey. I love it, despite it having this minor leak for sometime.... and the motor mounts starting to go, its actually in good shape.

a few weeks ago I lost the cap for my power steering and didn't replace it in good time and it started to get colder in my region. Recently the power steering is leaking so much that a replacement of the (expensive) honda fluid just gets crapped out of the line within 20 mins of driving... and I lose my power steering... no big deal I'm young and strong and can still handle it on the highway, but I'm concerned running it dry will bust the rack and pinon (yikes what a scary big job) and the pump (may have went bad already, but I don't mind as much)

so I parked it for now and am waiting for a pressure line to come in the mail so I can tackle it. I hope it comes soon- I need that auto to get back on the road and get back to work while its still busy (boom and bust industry)

anything else to consider? a fluid flush of power steering? how does that work?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If its pouring out like you described you shouldn't have to worry about flushing it just make sure to bleed the system properly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you're referring to the high-pressure hose that comes off the back of the power steering pump, and then goes downward behind the engine, then unless you fix your motor mounts, the new hose is going to develop a leak. Why? When the engine rocks back-and-forth it pulls/tugs on this hose. That's what causes the hose to leak.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Replace the hose, it is a DIY but a bit of a pain. Several threads on here about it and tips and pointers to make it easier.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did not Honda parts available in the hood do I went to a hydraulic hose fab. and got a custom made piece. The grimping cost more than the hose. If you go this way, just tie wrap the hose away from anything hot. Smiley face.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...so it turns it it wasn't the hose...

It was the God damn pressure sensor! The thing was so loose you could move it around. I had a local mechanic reach in and swap it for a new one...the pressure hose itself is totally fine!

So no more major leak...really filled the fluids and it appears to be good to go...however one more weird thing.

When I had to drive a drive for a bit I noticed some smoke coming out of it...while it doesn't smoke as bad now there is still a bit of smoke when I'm driving...weird...coming from around the area down there I just can't see it

What could it be from?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK...so it turns it it wasn't the hose...

It was the God damn pressure sensor! The thing was so loose you could move it around. I had a local mechanic reach in and swap it for a new one...the pressure hose itself is totally fine!

So no more major leak...really filled the fluids and it appears to be good to go...however one more weird thing.

When I had to drive a drive for a bit I noticed some smoke coming out of it...while it doesn't smoke as bad now there is still a bit of smoke when I'm driving...weird...coming from around the area down there I just can't see it

What could it be from?
Yep. I had the same problem a month ago. Was not critical yet so I replaced the sensor myself. It took me about half an hour wheels up to wheels down. Took longer to stop the bleeding after scuffing the back of my hand removing the old sensor. Gloves recommended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts