Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. When I was younger (like, 10 years ago) I used to install all my car stereos. I would run wires anywhere I pleased. But, then, I was buying older used cars.

Now I have this 2002 Ody. And I am reading this forum of adventurous car stereo installers. So, I thought, I'll try it myself. This is what happened.

I wanted to pull the grille covers off the front and read speakers just to look at the drivers and to compare the front and rears. The front grilles pulled off easily. The rears were more work.

When it finally came off, I heard a metal clip-sounding thing fall somewhere. I looked for it inside the van but did not find it. And now the grille that I popped off doesn't fit on very snugly anymore - like my four year old could (and eventually will) pull the grille off with his little fingers.

Can any of you kind people tell me what that clip-sound may have been? Did it fall behind the plastic inside panel? How would I pull the grilles off (like the one on the other side) without losing another of these clips? etc. Can they be replaced? Will the lost clip become an annoying rattle?

Anyway, thanks for all of your help.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I don't have an '02, but I'm pretty sure of what happened. There are probably blade shaped projections on the speaker grille and rectangular holes where they fit in the panel where you removed the grille. What's missing is a clip that should've stayed on the projection that makes it fit snugly into the rectangular hole.

When you popped the grille off, the clip probably separated and dropped down into the space behind the panel. You may be able to retrieve it with an apropriate tool or just leave it and get another from the dealer. The techs probably have dozens laying around their toolboxes cuz these things do this all the time and I'm sure they're losing them and finding them ten times a day.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Bryan,
Sorry you had to learn this the hard way...
I myself almost lost one of these clips when taking out the rear grills in my '01. The problem is that most people stick a screwdriver in that little "notched open" area to pry the grill off, not knowing a clip is DIRECTLY behind where you place the screwdriver. I think the combination of pulling, and the contact of the screwdriver on the clip tends to make that particular clip fall off very easily.

Anyhow, when it happened to me, I was able to fish my clip back, bend it back in shape, and re-fit it to the grill. If you haven't moved your car, try reaching back towards the rear corner of the vehicle. You could also try to use a magnetic tipped retriever (or magnetized screwdriver) to get at it if it fell in a little crevice.

Worst case is just get another clip, provided as Chuck stated, it is not rattling around. If it is rattling around, and you can't find it with the retriever, then you have to go all the way and remove the panel to get at it. Not likely this will be the case.

Good Luck,
SJ

p.s.- For me, the trick in not popping off the clip in subsequent attempts was not pushing the screw driver blade in very far, and prying with my fingers around the sides of the grill. Pull with even pressure, and don't force it.. The clip deforms a bit after the first time, so its easier to remove after that.

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ugh-Honda wants $5 each for those clips. Even knowing about the disappearing act that they can pull, I lost 3 of the 4 while being careful and installing some new TSA-1695s in the rear. No way to get them, but as long as they dont rattle Id rather spend $15 rather than pull the panels off.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You people are great; a great reference and a great help.

I'm going to print this page out, get new clips when I go to the Honda dealer later this week, and learn how to open those rear grilles without losing the clips.

With encouragement like this, I will be installing my own stereos again. Thanks so much!

Bryan

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
You've just learned how to open those grilles without losing the clips. Step 1: get new clips ahead of time and have them on hand. Step 2: pull grilles. Step 3: frown upon realizing that you didn't lose a single clip.

Step 4: release frown upon realizing that had you not acquired extra clips ahead of time, you probably would have needed them.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I heard a pop, and when I looked at the tab on the back of the grill cover, it looked like I had broken a plastic barb off the end of the tab. I had consulted the Helm manual before, and it does not show any clip or method of removal. I'll fish for the clips, I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
I heard a pop, and when I looked at the tab on the back of the grill cover, it looked like I had broken a plastic barb off the end of the tab. I had consulted the Helm manual before, and it does not show any clip or method of removal. I'll fish for the clips, I guess.</font>
Is there a fracture and material missing from the end of the tab, or is it just gouged? If the tab was broken, you'll have to use the poster putty trick or get a new grill. Otherwise, just fish out the clip, and be sure to bend the "teeth" of the clip some to make sure it bites well to the plastic tab on the grill. That helps keep it from falling back off later.

Good luck,
SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Just a gouge. I found one, and was able to visualize it and fish it from the driver's side with a handy "grabber" tool I bought on a whim at Walmart a month ago. Lost both clips on the passenger side -- and fugeadaboutit -- they are lost forever under all that AC plumbing. Now that I know, the way to do it is to insert scredriver and contact the top of the clip, thereby securing the clip, before you pry up on the grill cover.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
24 Posts
WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!

I do not know if anyone mentioned this: Before you purchase a new metal plate (I guess that's what you called it) for your speaker grill tabs, this is what I did. Yes, when I removed the rear grill, both of those metal things fell inside the hole. It's a lucky thing that I have tool that looks like an antennae with a magnet on the tip. That tool came with my ratchet set. It is useful especially if a socket fell where it is out of reach. I am sure that you can buy that tool at a Hardware store, Wall-mart or target. I hard part is that you need a flashlight to see where those metal plates are. When I searched for mine, it took me awhile to search for them. But I end up getting both of them out of the hole (whew). I hope this works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What are the locations of those two clips ? What'd the location you suggest to pry the screw driver into ? The 2002 does not have a "notched" open for the back grilles. I tried to open them last night. Out of fear of losing those clips, I did not have much luck.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TurboRT:
What are the locations of those two clips ? What'd the location you suggest to pry the screw driver into ? The 2002 does not have a "notched" open for the back grilles. I tried to open them last night. Out of fear of losing those clips, I did not have much luck.</font>
I have not seen the '02, so I'm not sure exactly how that looks. In my '01, IIRC, the notch was along the bottom edge, inboard to the vehicle. That's where I pryed. The two tabs were on the inboard most sides of the grill covers, I think. Sinbad feels you can use your screwdriver to hold one of the clips in place as you pull it off. Haven't tried that, so don't know. You just gotta try it, unless sinbad can give more advice on the '02.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
There are two clips (one near top, other near bottom) under the rear edge of the grill. Use one screwdriver to pry up a rear corner JUST ENOUGH (about 3 mm) to visualize one of the clips underneath the edge. Then (without prying any more) insert a second screwdriver under the grill just enough to make contact with the clip. Then, pry up ON THE METAL CLIP just enough to get it over the hump on the clip. This technique insures that the clip will stay attached to its plastic tab.

Stop at this point, or you will dislodge the remaining clip. Finally, repeat procedure on second clip. Use a flashlight to help you visualize the clip if necessary. Be patient. It is really very easy to do (HA! -- once you have heard your clips on one side go PING! PING!).

[This message has been edited by sinbad (edited 11-07-2001).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK. I was wrong. 2002 does have a "notched" opening at the middle of the rear edge. Thanks to Shinjohn and Sinbad. Sinbad's instruction worked really well. However, I still managed to drop a clip (PING! PING!). Luckily, I was able to use a small mirror and a magnet to fish it out.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Love my Ody, and love Hondas overall, but I gotta say this: this clip design on the Ody is probably the most bone-headed design I've seen for a speaker grill. What in the heck were those engineers thinking?
AND they didn't even change it on the '02 when they had the chance to. What's up with that?

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled program.... Oh I love my Ody, I love my Ody.....

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is a quick and very easy way to prevent from losing anymore clips if the grill covers have to be removed in the future.. Place duct tape behind the clip holes to created a "pocket" that will allow the clip to go into, but prevent it from falling downward if it comes dislodged from the grill cover. This is exactly what I did on both of my rear speakers and it worked great when I had to remove the covers for the second time. As it turned out, if I didn't do the above, I would have been "fishing" in the rear quarter panels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pics for those of us that are visual by nature
First pic is of the clips post sucessful removal. Notice they are along the rear edge vertically positioned. Gently pry up the upper rear corner just enough to expose the upper clip (about 1/4 inch-don't over do it). Once visible, use another screwdriver to hold the clip onto the grill, then gently pry out the top clip. Repeat for the lower clip:
Clips post removal
Side View-rotate clockwise 90 degrees

Rear speaker without grill. The two vert slots on the left are where the clips come out of:
Rear Speaker Sans Grill
Hope these help! My came off without a hitch. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts