Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been lurking on this board for a couple of weeks and decided to join. I have a 2002 MB EX-L RES on order due in October. What I would like to know from anyone who has seen or has a RES Oddyssey is:

Where are the input Jacks to connect a VCR located?
Will the DVD player pay VCD's?
Can the DVD system play through the normal speakers or only the headphones?

I am looking a a device from TERAPIN to convert my 30+ Disney tapes to VCD's as an alternative to putting a VCR in my new Odyssey. ( Easier to carrier many CD'd than tapes ) but need to know if the player will play them. Kids 2,4,8 so RES was the way to go for me.

Thanx!

·
Registered
854 Posts
if you are interested I can give you information on a video card with software for $39 that lets you create vcds on your computer. much cheaper than the terapin device. your computer does need to be fast. minimum 400 mhz I believe.

nobody knows for sure if the dvd player will play vcds. best bet is to find out who is making it for honda and contact them. i was undecided between nav and res, but decided that i will go with nav and put in the iVES system, later on I will add the Playstation which plays dvds. So you get the best of 3 worlds. nav/dvd/games.

side note on the ives. i think it only comes in grey, so it might limit you to a quartz interior.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I would be interested to know what video card you have used for $39. The Terapin is just easy to use but fo 1/10 the cost I would try PC method. I know the IVES is only grey and with MB van would not look good. I had a Mercury Villager Nautica (Loaded) before this order for Odyssey can't wait for the extra room, more HP etc. but will miss the sunroof.

·
Registered
122 Posts
POR5CHE

Hi, I am also getting a MB 2002 EXL-RES.
Sat in a SS EXL_RES yesterday for a 25 mile test drive. We couldn't find the jacks b/c the manual was at the dealership.

You can hook-up a VCR, Camcorder or video game. I am adding a Sony 12 volt stereo VCP I saw on Yahoo shopping for $130.00 and will add a Wolf auto console like Nemogira's and will put the player where is CD changer is.

DVD will not play VCD.

DVD can play through wireless headphone, wired headphone in 2nd and 3rd row and through speakers as well.

The DVD is not 5.1, but you can buy a processors. Sound need to be Upgraded though and there is no subwoofer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Slocko,
I'm also looking for the VCD solution. I have a Digital 8mm Camcorder, and would like to be able to download the video to VCD format. Any advice out there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too bad no VCD capability. I don't own any DVD's now so have to add VCR or VCP immediately! What model Sony VCP? I am looking at a Hi-Fi Calrion 12v VCR with built in TV tuner and pass thru jacks to connect PS-2 ext. About $195. It also has remote eye so I will mount it under front seat. I want to keep the walk through capability.

Wish I could find out where Honda put those input jacks.

I don't know anything about DVD's so what is 5.1 or 6.1 I saw on Net?

PS: The Does the leather package include a leather wrapped steering wheel?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Porche -

5.1 is the standard home-theater amp/speaker setup.

Three front speakers - L, R, Center, two rear speakers - L, R, and the .1 is for the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) or subwoofer chanel. It is actually a six-channel system. Now they're coming out with a seven-channel system by adding a center rear speaker, thus the 6.1

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
And don't forget the Apple PowerMac G4 with the Superdrive. I plan on getting one and taking all my home movies and burning them to DVD. I even have a couple of tapes I need to burn to DVD.

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by POR5CHE:

PS: The Does the leather package include a leather wrapped steering wheel?
</font>
No.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone with with a 2002 & RES option found where the input jacks are to attach a VCP? I would like to have 6 CD Changer and SUB in mine so not sure where VCR will go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just checked out the 02 RES over the weekend. The RCA jacks (2 R/L audio and 1 video)and 3 plugs for wire headphones are located inside the left hand-rest of the rear passenger "driver-side". On the same side where you could find the 12V outlet at the back of the rear passenger seats. I also check the DVD player cannot play VCD disk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the input jacks are in the Third Row LH side armrest area? That should be interesting for wiring a up a VCR. Does not seem like they thought this out well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only way I could think of is to leave the VCR on the 3rd row seat or behind the 3rd row seats. Unfortunately they do not provide the TV antenna for the VCR hookup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gtse,

Thanks! I will probably have it under 3rd row seat and make it quick removal incase I fold 3rd row down. On the plus side gusee I can have my CD Changer and SUB under front seats.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone know about additional wireless headsets for 2002 with RES? Handa has under their 2002 page the headsets for IVES system but are they the same as the 2002 RES system? I know I can used wired as well but would like to purchase (2) more wireless.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Trevor said the pricing is $9.00 which we all know this is wrong.

Honda hasn't yet confirmed pricing or availability yet.

I suggest to wait a while to order and also ask Trevor if we can do a group buy for all us RES soon to be owners

1ODY2NV
'02 MB EXL-RES in Oct

·
Registered
205 Posts
picked up our EXL-RES tonite-at first glance the headphone appear identical to those used on the IVES system. Salesman was going over demo DVD with us and we asked where the headphones and remote were.We searched the van-nothing. He got a puzzled look and went to ask the service manager where he put them, then came back and told us they were options!! I said BS-and got the window sticker where it clearly states they are included. After another 10 minutes of searching again-we found them in a bag in the hole where the spare tire is. Guess they figure people will steal them off lots easily if they are in plain view.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts