Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2002 brochure says the High Center Stop Light is a LED. Trevor says the parts book says it's the same part number as the 2001 and takes a standard bulb. Will a 2002 owner tell us which one it is?

Also, 2001's (and I think 99's and 00's) came with a standard power steering fluid cooler. I think it's listed as part of a towing package with 2002's. Did they remove the standard power steering fluid cooler from non-towing package 2002's?

Mel

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
This question about the power steering cooler remains unanswered. Will somebody please look behind the lower grill opening of a 2002 in order to see if a power steering cooler is there? It should be a hairpin type loop that enters and exits from the passenger side.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Same questions here. Plus, does the EXL have a leather-wrapped steering wheel?

- Darell

·
Registered
329 Posts
Apparently the leather wrapped steering wheel doesn't come with the leater package.

I find that unusual. It's not in the brochures, and some of the lucky few who already have (or have seen) the 2002's say it isn't there on the leather models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
The 2002 brochure says the High Center Stop Light is a LED. Trevor says the parts book says it's the same part number as the 2001 and takes a standard bulb. Will a 2002 owner tell us which one it is?

Mel
</font>
According to my 2002 EX-GG owners manual it is a bulb.

·
Registered
56 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
does the EXL have a leather-wrapped steering wheel?</font>
Definitely not leather-wrapped on my EXL

------------------
-- Todd

'02 GG Odyssey EX-L
'99 Forester S

·
Registered
56 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
This question about the power steering cooler remains unanswered. Will somebody please look behind the lower grill opening of a 2002 in order to see if a power steering cooler is there? It should be a hairpin type loop that enters and exits from the passenger side.</font>
Haven't looked yet, but my owner's manual says you must have one installed when towing and they are only available from your Honda dealer.

------------------
-- Todd

'02 GG Odyssey EX-L
'99 Forester S

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Based on the Handa site, which now lists the towing package, you need (1)a transmission cooler, which is added on downstream from the cooler built into the bottom portion of the radiator, plus, (2) you discard the standard, small power steering cooler, and replace it with a larger, heavy-duty power steering cooler.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Anybody know why the steering would be taxed so much when towing? I never really thought about that as an issue, but Honda sure seems to think it's important. Mostly I go straight down the freeway when I tow...

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 V70 T5 - White w/ graphite leather

·
Registered
329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
Anybody know why the steering would be taxed so much when towing? I never really thought about that as an issue, but Honda sure seems to think it's important. Mostly I go straight down the freeway when I tow...

- Darell

</font>
Someone else asked that question in another topic before. I don't remember the exact reason, but it wasn't necessarily the steering that was taxed. The heat generated by the additional strain on the transmission from towing was apparently enough to warrant the larger power steering cooler.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hmm. Crazy. Thanks for the info though.

-d

·
Registered
564 Posts
As for the LED third brake light - I had the same problem with my Volvo. There were things in the brochure that simply didn't make it onto the car. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find some disclaimer fine print to absolve them of any commitment.

Bummer, I REALLY wanted the LED light because of all the wing-mounted light problems I've been hearing. Plus they're just cool. I'll have to figure out a good way to retro-fit an LED assembly in there.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 V70 T5 - White w/ graphite leather

·
Registered
478 Posts
Re: larger power steering "cooler"- I don't see why you wouldn't just get a more efficient trans. cooler in the first place. I will probably go with a heavy duty after market cooler rather than the Honda piece.

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ody, let us know if you find an elegant solution to mounting the aftermarket coolers. The kits I have seen from Hayden and others are designed to mount directly to the front of the radiator with plastic ties that pass straight thru the radiator fins, and that are then anchored on the back side of the radiator. This seems to be not the best solution, because it makes the radiator less efficient in disipating heat. Also, there is not a lot of room or air flow below the radiator/bumper for an aftermarket cooler, and you have to rubber mount it to prevent stress cracking, which means fabricating your own mounts.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of the add-on transmission coolers that I've looked at have mounting holes that can be bolted to a mounting bracket. This is something akin to what Honda does with their tranny cooler. Other manufacturers also market brackets that clamp on the tranny cooler's tubing to allow attachment to a mounting bracket.

Mounting a cooler on a user designed/built bracket (or maybe two) definitely seems to be preferable to attachments that go through the radiator.

I haven't taken a real serious look at mounting a cooler yet but I think there's plenty of room behind the bumper, ahead of the radiator, or maybe even below the radiator.

Has anyone already mounted an aftermarket cooler?

Mel

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2002 is being delivered tonight from Alabama, Chris Warman at King Honda. I live in Atlanta. I am paying MSRP with no dealer add-ons! I'm on the edge of my seat!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts