Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparantly with out knowing it I have been one of the first to test drive a 2002 Ody. I am probaly not the best judge as I am trading up from a 95 Odyssey, but I have driven the 2001 model a couple of times and OOOOOOH BABY this thing is sweet!!!.
Lots of low end torque, very smooth shifting even on grades, quiet ride and cup holders cup holders, cup holders. Some of my initial negative reactions were, even with 4 wheel disks, the braking felt laboured. This undoubtly because of the vehicle's mass. Just something for me to get used to. The shifter also seemed a bit awkward, especially when shifting to park from drive and vise versa. I also expected a better sound system at this level of vehicle but maybe the bass and treble need to be set. Tuning a station that is not a preset also seemed a bit coumbersome, but know I'm really being picky.
There was nothing negative on this test drive that I haven't seen posted by 2001 owners and certainly nothing, which in my mind which questions that I have made the right decission to wait for a 2002 (even though it was $2600 Cdn more assuming a $2000 Honda rebate would be offered on the 2001's).
Going from a 95 Ody to a 2002 is a light year jump in power, styling, functionality and ride, so forgive me if I can't be more objective as to the improvments of the 2002 vs the 2001. I am still to star struck!!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for the test drive review! Congrats on being the first one to drive an '02 (I haven't heard of anyone else driving one yet.)

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ya know what? I'm an idiot!

I was standing at the dealership yesterday inspecting 2 - 2002 Odys for colour, leather, interior details etc.

I never even THOUGHT to ask for a test drive!!

I guess I am just assuming that because it's a Honda it will be the best possible Minivan drive.

Still - what an idiot!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just got back from a test drive, too.

The engine felt very smooth, though not as strong as I imagined it would. We have a 99 Accord V6 and I was imaginging the Ody would feel similar (thinking the extra weight would be offset by the extra 40 HP). Don't get me wrong, it still felt very good, but not quite as stong as I thought it would.

I agree that the brakes feel labored. Even my 97 Lexus LX450 (aka LandCruiser) feels like it stops better. I also agree that it will just take a little getting used to.

I shot some digital pictures and will post in a bit. I think I got a good one to compare the new Evergreen with the old Emerald (shot an 01 and 02 next to each other).

·
Registered
122 Posts
My dealer took me on a 25 mile demo on a new 2002 SS EXL-RES tonight. Excellent!!!. Braking was a little getting used to. More responsive than a 2001. I am trading in my 2001 GG EX. Leather is mid-grade but very durable. NOT Acura leather...though this will not have a cracking problem for many years IMHO. DVD system was awesome. Watched the movie "Snatch & Fantasia".

-Sound is OK. I will maybe upgrade to Pioneers. For those think of Mods. The rear side panels are the same as the 2001. It will probably cost around $200.00 for each Panel and you will have the openings for the large speakers. The DVD audio system is awesome. You can add the CD changer and Subwoofer. Sound is not 5.1 guys, but I will ask my alarm guy about adding a Kenwood 5.1 processor.

The power from a 2002 was no different from a 2001 IMHO.

Road noise and rattles....NONE!!! Honda did an excellent job on this.

Second row cup holders...nice. Plenty of room to flip down with the rear doors closed.

Rear windows still have that squeal.

There is no D5 on dash...just D.

Is this worth trading in my 2001. Absolutely the DVD sytem is worth the money.

FYI saw the Navi as well....no breadcrumbs.

That OK, I need DVD anyway.

Happy Trails
1ODY2NV

2002 MB EXL-RES new ETA Oct 23rd.

P.S. - This car will be their official demo car for the Sales Manager

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oops,
I almost forgot

nemogira....the 2002 TL wheel swap will work on the 2002 ODY.

Sales Manager will be upgrading his later this month and I will coax him to take pics.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Saw, smelled & touched and '02 tonight. A GG EXL RES. Magically delicious. Just wanted to see the leather to know if I was making the right choice. I now think so.
Didn't drive it - I didn't ask, they didn't offer. If they had, I would have said no because I wouldn't want someone driving mine. After seeing how poorly they were taking care of this one (bad clean up/prep job; left some kind of liquid on the interior driver's door, put that nasty vaseline looking stuff on the tires, fingerprints everywhere.) I'm glad I'm not buying from this dealership. But, nonetheless, it looked great.

------------------

'66 Mustang convertible (former, pre-mommy life)
'99 CSS EX (gone but not forgotten)
'01 GG EX (Humpty Dumpty - you know the story)
'02 GG EXL NAV (Under construction)
...come over the hill Carolina. Devils & Deacs
stand in line...

·
Registered
207 Posts
1ODY2NV: Great report! Concerning the addition of a CD changer, would this be the unit that mounts under the front seat? From the pics I've seen, it looks like the dash is completely full.

3odys4me: Did you like the Fern leather interior? Personally, I'm torn between Fern and Quartz although I think I'd opt for whichever is darker.

Both of you: Thanks for reporting your impressions! Hope your Odys come in soooon!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Homer,

Subwoofer under passenger seat, changer under drivers seat.....Trevor HELP!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:

3odys4me: Did you like the Fern leather interior? Personally, I'm torn between Fern and Quartz although I think I'd opt for whichever is darker.
</font>
Hey Homer. I did like it. Rich looking. In all fairness, I have not seen the quartz. But, I had cloth quartz in my '99 and fern cloth in my '01 and was very pleasantly surprised that the fern was the darker of the two. That clinched it for me when deciding between them as I prefer a darker interior too. The '02 is essentially the same and in some way actually seemed a little darker -- could have been the light (or the intoxicating new car scent
) Anyway, I think you'll like the fern. Hope this helps your decision.

------------------

'66 Mustang convertible (former, pre-mommy life)
'99 CSS EX (gone but not forgotten)
'01 GG EX (Humpty Dumpty - you know the story)
'02 GG EXL NAV (Under construction)
...come over the hill Carolina. Devils & Deacs
stand in line...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like fern. Our 2001 GG is fern.
Wife told me to get EXL-RES in MB.
Its primarliy her Mommy car.

Now I have to figure out how to get HBO

(Just Kidding) Hmmm!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
1ODY2NV & 3odys4me:

Big help.....Thanks!! Now I'm **definitely** going with fern. I've ruled out HB but, doh, there's still TW and GG (decisions, decisions).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts