Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else get a letter from Honda detailing "Tips on selected features" of their 2002 Ody? I noticed confirmation of my post on the breakaway cup holders.

I also found comments on the use of power inverter/converter's interfering with the air bag sensor.

Honda also posts the recommended viscosity for 2002's (5W-20). This is the first confirmation I have seen for the 2002's.

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
Honda also posts the recommended viscosity for 2002's (5W-20). This is the first confirmation I have seen for the 2002's.

[/B][/QUOTE]
I also received the letter yesterday. After checking my paperwork, it looks like they put 5W30 in my 02 during it's first oil change. Next visit I'll be bringing that letter to the dealership to make sure they understand!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Got the letter. Didn't know about the breakaway cupholders. Now I can relax because I was worried what would happen when someone uses it as a step.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got the letter too with details about the RES system, tire pressure, engine and yes they stated the 5W20 info. I have a question, have any of you received your dealer sales survey yet? You know the one where if you put anything down other than excellent, the sales guy doesn't get the manufacturers bonus. Ken

·
Registered
234 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kanadary:
I got the letter too with details about the RES system, tire pressure, engine and yes they stated the 5W20 info. I have a question, have any of you received your dealer sales survey yet? You know the one where if you put anything down other than excellent, the sales guy doesn't get the manufacturers bonus. Ken</font>

My sales guy told me yesterday, that because they were getting so many negative survey's because people get frustrated after a 3 mo. wait, that they were going to start doing a phone survey so that they can interact with the customers rather than just getting a paper and pencil survey. I don't know how ture this is. He said that after a 3 mo. wait, people were ready to complain about just any little thing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
When did you recieve your tip letter. I have not recieved anything from Honda yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No letter received yet (we got our Odyssey in early December).

I noticed that the oil cap on the 2002's says to use 5w20 oil.

------------------
timbuk2002
02 GG EX
96 Maxima SE (for sale soon)
87 Supra Turbo

·
Registered
99 Posts
I spoke with a service manager when I ordered my Ody last weekend and he informed me of the 5W-20 recommendation. Your shop should never have put 5W-30 in without talking to you first.

------------------
"You can call me anything, but never call me late for dinner!"

01 Nissan Frontier SE CC
02 MB EX-L RES (End of March)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My letter arrived 2-19-02 and I purchased my Ody on Nov. 31st (if that has any bearing).

By the way, the phone call survey came two days after purchase, the local dealer survey three days after and the Honda "national" survey over two weeks later.

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

·
Registered
78 Posts
Got the letter yesterday (2/19). The phone survey (dealer?) was on Monday I believe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We've only received the paper Honda Survey about 1 week after our purchase. We've waited to fill it out until everything was finished with our purchase. Due to several problems (one with the Finance Manager who was ignorant as all get out and the fact they did not follow-up on accessories that we paid for and they did not order until the third phone call) our dealer is not going to get a raving review. We were lucky and found our Ody on the lot and puchased it over the phone, but the rest of the purchase did not go as easy. I'm not sure a phone survey would be any better. Honda needs training for their sales force and quickly. This is my fifth Honda, but possibly the last if we have to go through this experience again.

Kim

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Got the "Tip Sheet" day before yesterday. Received a survey phone call about two weeks after we took delivery, but it wasn't very interactive, unless I would have hung up on the guy for yawning in my ear, like I should have. I got a paper survey to fill out about a week ago. I wish I could fill out a survey about their phone survey. They'd flunk.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here we go again.

ckasper: You don't need to worry that your dealer put in 5W30 and Honda recommends 5W20. The (very slightly) heavier oil will be beneficial for your engine in the long run. The ONLY reason Honda recommends 5W20 is to boost their Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) numbers.

This is an old topic and I have no wish to enter into another 5W20-or-not debate. Those of you who would blindly follow Honda's recommendation - go right ahead - it probably won't damage anything for as long as the typical new car buyer owns the car. As for me, I will continue to change the oil in my 2002 myself, exclusively with 5W30 and perhaps even 10W30 if I plan a long trip in hot weather. Those of you with any mechanical engineering insight at all will be with me on this one.

rg
(PhD from MIT, engineer for a major oil company, automobile enthusiast, and 2002 Odyssey owner!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts