Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS ANYONE HAD A 2002 TRANSMISSION GO OUT ON THEM. IF SO HOW MANY THOUSAND MILES. I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL THE PROBLEMS W/ TRANS. I THOUGHT HONDA WAS THE MOST RELIABLE VEHICLE ON THE EARTH. I HAVE HEARD ALL THE PROBLEMS W/ 99', 00', AND 01' BUT NOTHEING ABOUT 02'. HAS CHANGING FROM A 4 SPEED TO 5 SPEED TRANS FIXED THE EARLIER PROBLEMS?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I asked your very question under "Polls", and so far no one with a '02 Ody on the forums has said they've had a transmission failure. If '02's are having problems, I haven't seen them mentioned on the odyclub forums. I'll stand corrected if they have.
After reading all the posts, and the news articles and talking with Honda Customer Relations, I am believing that '02 and '03 Odys with the new 5spd automatics are not experiencing the higher failure rates of the '00 and '01 Odys or the Acura's and Accords mentioned in the press. JMO at this point.

-Mark

·
Registered
70 Posts
The interesting (and disturbing) thing is that the Acuras that have been having the problems have 5 speed transmissions that apparently are the same / similar to what we have on our '02s. Somebody suggested that perhaps the "automanual" feature that the Acuras have (i.e. ability to manually control the shifting) may be a contributing factor?? :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
My tranny went out on my 2002 EX-L at 1200 miles. The new replacement has been fine so far. There were several posts on the details of my experience in the problems forum.

·
Registered
859 Posts
zipsam said:
My tranny went out on my 2002 EX-L at 1200 miles. The new replacement has been fine so far. There were several posts on the details of my experience in the problems forum.
Unfortunately this transmission issue has migrated to just about every forum section on this board and is getting harder to follow as time goes on. Too bad all transmission "failure" related posts can't be put into one like on the "Accord" forums. Would you please include your experience in the "polls" section so we can get a count of '02 and '03 failures forum posters have experianced? Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some problems with the 02 transmissions have surfaced. Honda Engineers have identified the problem to a faulty nonmetalic clutch that disinigrates and plugs the oil channels. I plan at 30k to have the oil changed in my transmission and while they are changing it, I want the oil screens to look for particles. I also purchased the extended warrenty for $ 820 for insurance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don Hopp said:
Some problems with the 02 transmissions have surfaced. Honda Engineers have identified the problem to a faulty nonmetalic clutch that disinigrates and plugs the oil channels.
What is your source for that info ?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The filter screens on Honda transmissions are deep within the unit. They are not accessible. It'll be tough to tell if your clutch packs are wearing prematurely. Best I can suggest is to drain the trans into a clean pan, then let it settle out and see how much silt you get at the bottom. A trace is normal. Also, look at the drain plug. It's a magnet. This won't be much of an indicator if the friction material is non-metallic, though.

Why does Honda insist on such an odd design for their automatic transmissions? Most use planetary gear sets and brake bands, but Honda continues to insist on building it like a manual transmission converted to an automatic, with 3 shafts and clutch paks standing in for gears sliding along the shaft for engagement.

They have had auto trans problems in the past, too. On 86-89 Accords, the 3-4 clutchpack drum would crack, preventing it from holding hydraulic pressure. You'd lose 3rd gear. It was common enough that Honda came up with a redesigned part to address it. It was my experience with this that taught me about Honda automatics being odd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I plan on supplying a cloth type sceen that will filter any sedement
and I hope to detect clutch fragments that way. I will probably detect a shifting problem prior to that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Activator22 said:
What is your source for that info ?
A Honda Regional Manager has addmitted there is a problem and they found the source. He almost had to because there was an article in the USA Today also about it. Honda has trained their people to admit to nothing. These forums put a lot of pressure on them. BTY. My local Honda Dealer Service Manager does read them because he can get a jump on developing problems. Sometimes he stated, "I get more info of these forums than I get from Honda".

·
Registered
149 Posts
AN VU said:
HAS ANYONE HAD A 2002 TRANSMISSION GO OUT ON THEM. IF SO HOW MANY THOUSAND MILES. I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL THE PROBLEMS W/ TRANS. I THOUGHT HONDA WAS THE MOST RELIABLE VEHICLE ON THE EARTH. I HAVE HEARD ALL THE PROBLEMS W/ 99', 00', AND 01' BUT NOTHEING ABOUT 02'. HAS CHANGING FROM A 4 SPEED TO 5 SPEED TRANS FIXED THE EARLIER PROBLEMS?
It is probably due to either the weight of the all CAPS letters when you post or your brake pedal being stuck like your CAPS button is. :eek2: It's kind of bad ettiquette to use all CAPS and call me picky but it is annoying to me.

Anyhow, I have had no problems with my '02 tranny... knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm not saying it couldn't happen because it could happen on any new car, but so far we have had no problems with our transmission, or any other part of our Ody for that matter. 02 Ody purchased in Nov of 01 with 13K+ miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Un Vu, I have a 2002 EX (Canada) with 16 000 km on it. I don,t have any transmission problem yet....

The only troubling thing I have is when the transmission is on Park occasionnaly I hear a loud "clickbang" never hurd on any other car. Is this a prelude to a faulty transmission ? Or is it "normal"?

Fredcaillou

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My neighbor lost the tranny on his '02 at a little over 10K miles. There are several other '02 problem trannys discussed in another post.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I find it curious that out of 67 votes, no one has indicated they personally had '02 or '03 tranny trouble in the poll.
Did these people come to complain and then disappear or just not see the poll?:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not convinced it's the tranny, I've looked around the other discussion boards and the ABS and A/C seemed to better explain the phenomenon since it occured always at colder temperatures (Montreal hits the -30 Celsius at nights). Think this is the real things...

Fredcaillou

·
Registered
859 Posts
I wonder how many more threads and polls we can start on
'02-'03 transmissions? Jeez! Wish they could all be placed in one area like has been done on some of the other car forums that have transmission issues. It would seem anyone including Honda employees looking over this transmission issue would find it hard to reach any conclusions based on what I've read. The poll shows no owners reporting problems but some threads do.

Would it be possible to get this topic organized into one area that might prove useful in getting Honda to take actions as they did on pre-'02's if action is warranted?
Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 368 Posts