Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2002 GG (interestingly enough this colour is known as Fern in Canada) a couple of weeks ago. We initially started looking in August, hoping to get a 2001 at 'year-end-inventory-blowout' prices (ha ha). Decided to wait until the 2002s for the 240 HP engine, which was the right choice.

One thing I noticed (or imagined), is that the 2002 suspension is a little softer than the 2001, resulting in a smoother ride, but more body roll in corners. Some of the info I saw said they changed the front suspension for 2002. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if they changed the front suspension some; (a) it's natural to tweak, and (b) there may be more mass up front with the new transmission.

Did the curb weights differ from 01 to 02?

·
Registered
596 Posts
They did change the spring rates and reduce the diameter of the anti-roll bar for 2002.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
I was unable to test drive an 02 Ody prior to ordering one, so I took a test drive in my friends 99 EX. When I picked up my 02 EX in December, I noticed that the ride was very stiff. After a few days of ownership, I checked the tire pressure and found all 4 at 44 PSI. I reduced it to the recommended 36 PSI and was amazed at the difference. It now rides much smoother than its 99 predecessor. I am not intending to take it to the track, so a slightly softer ride is good for me.

[This message has been edited by FW_in_OKC (edited 01-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by FW_in_OKC (edited 01-02-2002).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found that it has a smooth ride, it holds the road well, and takes turns without any problem. My 96 DGC does not come close to my 2002 SS EX-LRES Ody.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 2002 springs are actually stiffer, but the shock valving is different also. And the front swaybar is smaller (22mm vs 24mm). All this was done to improve ride quality on the 2002's.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Stiffer springs for a better ride, hmmmmmm......I suppose shock valving may have even more of an effect on ride than spring rates, unless they are too stiff.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
59 Posts
Didn't Honda also change to an independent rear suspension for '02?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shadowman, I believe the rear suspension has always been independent (which helps make room for the 3rd row seat well in the back) -- at least on the 2nd generation.

------------------
timbuk2002
02 GG EX
96 Maxima SE (for sale soon)
87 Supra Turbo

·
Registered
278 Posts
Also, 02's come with 60 series tires vs. 65's for prior years. A little wider contact patch. I've driven both and actually felt the '02 as an improvement.
Tire pressure seems to affect things more than anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts