Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Southern California (Orange County) and I am looking for a professional installer to install a wood dash kit in my 2002 EX-L with NAV. I've seen all the do it yourself kits online and they look great. However, I'm worried I would damage pieces while attempting installation. Can anyone recommend someone?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Voyager, your user name isn't based on another minivan you own, is it?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Pert:
Voyager, your user name isn't based on another minivan you own, is it? </font>
Actually no, it is based on my wife's math company (Star Voyagers). Although, I did own a 91 Caravan which to this day was the worse vehicle I have ever owned. I had to replace the engine shortly after getting it, replaced transmission shortly thereafter, master cylinder--and this really didn't fix poor bralking, the door locks would spontaneous open and close as you drove down the road, etc, etc. Aren't you glad you asked? :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just do it yourself bud. It's very easy and only takes about 1-2 hours if you have a large kit (like myself).
Just read the installations and take your time and you should be fine.

IMO you would be just throwing your money away if you paid someone else to install the kit.

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2002 SS EX-L that I am having problem picking the wood dash color for the quartz interior. Can any one give me some idea, and who has the best price. Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDakRT:
Just do it yourself bud. It's very easy and only takes about 1-2 hours if you have a large kit (like myself).
Just read the installations and take your time and you should be fine.

IMO you would be just throwing your money away if you paid someone else to install the kit.

</font>
Hi DDakRT,
Just a few questions:
Did you install a flat or formed wood kit?
Yours looks great, is it real wood?
Where did you get your kit ?
Do you mind telling me the cost of kit?
Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
251 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by voyager:

</font>
Hi DDakRT,
Just a few questions:
Did you install a flat or formed wood kit?
Yours looks great, is it real wood?
Where did you get your kit ?
Do you mind telling me the cost of kit?
Thanks for your feedback.[/B][/QUOTE]

Mine is a flat kit from Wood Dash Factory, you just have to heat it up a bit so it will ofrm to the curve of the interior.
It is a full kit made from real exotic burl, I bought it on Ebay for $121. The thing is that nobody else can find another one at this price, PD55 (a member here) just bought a new kit from the same seller but had to pay $160 for a reduce kit. I was lucky to get the deal I got.

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yup. What he said.

Interesting story here. DDakrt and I both bought from an Ebay seller named "YKM".

DDakrt got very lucky in that there was an overstock situation and he "stole" the full kit for $121US. Me not so lucky, but through Email I managed to get my smaller kit for $139US, plus $18 to ship to Canada.
(Smaller kit fits just the dash and passenger dash vent - nothing for the doors, ceiling, tray, etc.)

Through YKM I saved about $30 over the manufacturer's web price (http://www.wooddashfactory.com)

But... YKM is part of Wood Dash Factory !!!!

So I saved $30 buying from their Ebay presence over buying from their Website.

Confused???

The other catch is it have been about 2 weeks and I am still waiting for it!!

[This message has been edited by PD55 (edited 01-29-2002).]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Voyager - as for installation, I plan to do my own and suspect that you should too.
This install takes more "Care" than "Skill" - dry fitting, working slowly, being very deliberate.

Who *cares* more about your expensive new van - you or the 18 year old at the custom upholstery shop?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Voyager - as for installation, I plan to do my own and suspect that you should too.
This install takes more "Care" than "Skill" - dry fitting, working slowly, being very deliberate.

Who *cares* more about your expensive new van - you or the 18 year old at the custom upholstery shop?
</font>
I think I've decided to do it myself, but need to find the best place to buy the kit and the even more difficult task of selecting which type of finish to purchase.

·
Registered
194 Posts
After much MUCH research I chose http://www.wooddashfactory.com as the best:
-real wood
-great workmanship
-they sand the edges of each peice
-they make each dash kit out of a single piece of wood veneer - this ensures a match throughout vehicle.
- great price on web site, even better through YKM on ebay.

As far as colour - I too had a hard time!!! I picked Real Brazillian Rosewood for the distinct grain pattern. I think this will look great on the dash, but I think it is such a strong grain it may be overpowering in a full kit.

The Genuine Italian Burlwood is much more subdued grain pattern with a less intense colour - this would probably look better in a full kit.

I hope to have mine installed in the next week - I will email pics to you if you wish.

[This message has been edited by PD55 (edited 01-29-2002).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check out www.woodtrim.com. They run 20% off sales which make the cost of the 25 piece non NAV rosewood about $301. We installed it in our RRP EX in september, and love it. The installation was simple. Care and cleanliness were key. The combination of real wood veneer and one slice of wood gives a tremendous lustre and depth that plastic cannot match,IMO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Woodtrim has nice stuff, but their price on the reduced kit in Brazillian Rosewood is $209 - on sale.
The same kit, same quality @ wooddashfactory is $148 shipped in the US, $157 shipped to Canada.

Interestingly their price on the full kits (22 pieces) are exactly the same!

[This message has been edited by PD55 (edited 01-30-2002).]

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey PD55, sent them pics to me too. And if you don't mind, can I post them on my page?

BTW YKM is Dorene?

------------------

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Woodtrim has nice stuff, but their price on the reduced kit in Brazillian Rosewood is $209 - on sale.
The same kit, same quality @ wooddashfactory is $148 shipped in the US, $157 shipped to Canada.

Interestingly their price on the full kits (22 pieces) are exactly the same!

[This message has been edited by PD55 (edited 01-30-2002).]
</font>
Did you ever receive and install the kit? I am considering the same one (although it is listed for $150 + $10 for shipping). How did it turn out and have you posted pictures anywhere?

·
Registered
194 Posts
still waiting....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts