Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5500 mi on my 2002EX, and on two occasions several weeks apart, I had the engine suddenly rev up, and experienced a loss of power in the brakes, and steering.
The first time it happened, I was making a turn. While I was at the beginning of the turn, I heard the revving, and the loss of brake and steering; the van felt it was just rolling (level street). I never completed the turn. The second time I was stopped at a traffic light. The engine started to rev, and the van inched forward; my foot was on the brake.
Each time I was able to put the van into Park, then back to Drive, and was able to continue driving. All this happened within seconds. Has anyone else had this problem? I will bring the van in for service to get to the bottom of this, hopefully, but this is obviously a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The loss of power assist for steering makes no sense. The power steering system is connected via belt to the crankshaft, and would not fail to work if the engine revved. Might be interesting to check if the higher engine speeds decrease the power steering force(engine speed sensitive steering).

The revving engine is consistent with the brakes losing effectiveness. You can demonstrate it by stomping repeatedly on the brakes while stopped. The power brakes get their power from a vacuum source on the engine, and as they are used, the power brakes allow air into the intake manifold. I don't know all the details of the system, but my guess is that you have an intermittent valve in the power brake modulator.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I also don't know why steering was affected, but your first incident sounds familiar (I have a 2001 EX).

Sometimes when I'm slowing down (like when approaching a red light or a yield sign) and then begin to accelerate, the transmission will flare for a second or two while it tries to find the right gear again. It dramatically reduces the power to the wheels. Again, this only happens under very unique circumstances, but it has happened enough for me to notice it.

As for the second incident which occured when stopped, that sounds suspiciously like the AC compressor kicking off and the engine momentarily revving with the reduced load...it is normal. If you are not depressing the brake pedal hard enough, the van may inch forward.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I've noticed the very minor revving when stopped, even from the load of the two cooling fans engaging, without the AC. Just let it sit idle for 15 minutes and you'll see the effect, just for a half second when the fans start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts