Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been reading the forums here for the past few days trying to figure out what is wrong with my cruise control in my 2003 Odyssey. It has just under 55,000 on it and we have owned it since it was new on the lot. I know there are many threads about this so bear with me. I have read a few and tried some of the fixes suggested there to no avail. I'm wondering if I am overlooking something before I take it to the dealer since it is out of warranty.

The light on switch by the steering wheel will turn on although the light on the dash will not illuminate and the cruise will not engage no matter what I press on the steering wheel buttons. I thought it initially might be the brake switch since a couple years ago the switch did not activate and the van was stuck in park briefly. This only happened once however and I have not had any other trouble with it since then and it appeared to be in order when I looked at it earlier today.

I thought it might be the fuses so I checked all applicable fuses and they all appeared to be fine but I replaced them anyway.

I have had issues with the radio buttons on the steering wheel not working before and occaisionally the volume down button will turn the volume up and vice versa which makes me think it may be a wiring issue.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
78 Posts
From an old post of mine:
The cruise had been acting up for 3 months. Sometimes it wouldn't engage at all, other times the buttons would be mixed up (accelerate when cancel was pushed!!!)

The diagnostic: the cable reel in the steering column needs to be replaced.

The stored codes were 1140 and 9220
The reel assembly cable (part 7790-S0X-A22) was the culprit! Both SRS and cruise control problems fixed.

I'm happy!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The most obvious and common part is the brake switch. It's cheap so replace it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
JLesinski

The brake switch would indeed be much simpler but if you also have problems with the radio buttons, I still think it points to the cable reel.

In my case the air bag light and the cruise control buttons were acting up. The cable reel is the bunch of wires that connect to the steering wheel controls, the horn & the driver's air bag and goes through the steering column. It get pulled and twisted every time the wheel is turned.

part# 77900-S0X-A22 about $55 but probably a pain to replace.

SportVan

·
Registered
154 Posts
The brake switch fixed mine also. It's so cheap and is prone to failure and takes 5 minutes to swap out. Try that first. Your symptoms were EXACTLY like mine.

·
Registered
525 Posts
problem is in the sterring colum. i had this occur to my van as well.. started with the radio volume controls working eratically. i took it in for warrenty work to fix. they redimpled the ground connection but that cause the entire steering electronic functions (radio control, horn and cruise functions) to not work at all. they ended up replacing the entire sterring colum.
from time to time now the volume controls do the oposite in their function(up goes down or down goes up) i just give a sharp medium rap (not to hard)of my hand on the steering wheel and it works fine.

·
Registered
525 Posts
try this thread,, do a search for this thread. it might help you
Steering wheel radio controls

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I've had similar issues in a Jeep and Civic. The problem was the reel assembly in both (also known as clock spring to some). I replaced the one in the Jeep but repaired the Civic by unwinding it and soldering the wires back together. In both I also lost the horn and the airbag light came on. When turning the wheel lock to lock I could also hear the cable crinkling inside the steering wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts