Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened 4 times in the last week. Coming to a red light and slowing down to about 1k RPM, then engine revs up to 2500 and wants to ram into the car ahead if I let go of the brake.

I've seen some comments elsewhere that it can be a power steering wiring issue. There's other posts out there referring to an engine coolant issue?

The last time it happened, I came to a stop, revving at 2500 and pushed it to neutral and it spiked to 4500 and then backdown to zero and engine died. I put it in park and restarted no problem.

Any ideas out there? It's at the dealer now. Can't wait :rolleyes: to see what they come up with!

Thanks!
Calvin.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
When you are coasting to a stop, the computer shuts off fuel to the injectors until RPM's drop to about 1,100. Then it brings on the fuel so the engine doesn't stall. Sounds like a sensor or sensor connector is failing so the computer doesn't realize how fast the engine is actually running and so it pumps more fuel.

Glad you kept on top of the situation. This often leads to a collision when the driver cannot adjust for the racing engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply dave. this only happens sporadically. maybe 1% of the time. so if this is a failing sensor, it should start occurring more frequently. not sure if i can wait for that! wife and 3 kids!

btw, dealer came up with nothing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My vote goes for a bad power brake booster. A leak, which will manifest when brakes are applied, will give extra air to the engine, just like pressing on the gas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for all your valuable replies.

the dealer only checked the computer codes and sub codes and went for a couple of test drives. this costed me 1/2 hr labor only. I understand their point of view that they want to keep the customer costs down but it seems that they don't have a good plan on how to diagnose a problem based on the customer description only and must reproduce to go forward.

I'll take all these suggestions and probably go elsewhere and basically tell them to consider these.

If anyone has other ideas, please post. Would a general mechanic be able to continue or should I revisit a honda service center?

Much appreciated.

Calvin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts