Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need recommendations on some foglights for my 2003. The car didnt come with one, and i love the way my fogs light up the road on my mazda3. Also, does anyone know if i can put HID's in my foglights for the 03 models?

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I've installed 3 of the OEM fog kits using the "round style" glass lens. The housing is small, and perfect for 55W H3 bulbs. The reflector is EXCELLENT for halogen usage, but completely unuseable with HID bulbs (the round one is not even a halogen projector, but looks like one).

My OEM's are sealed in back with vents built in a "drip loop" fashion to keep them dry...you can get water in that area behind the Ody's "chin" on wet days, I've checked this. Affixing an HID bulb would be impossible on the round lens version, and you want to keep the setup dry.

"OEM style" fogs (clear or yellow) with the full form-fitting housing & lens is available for cheap on ebay, but you will melt these with HID bulbs...the HID gas capsule ends up very close to the lens, and well forward of the light source focal point. You won't get light where you need it. Also, it will get wet back there on a rainy day, whether or not you use "OEM style" or true OEM.

Best solution might be to get a projector with a true metallic cutoff shield, and install washers to pull the HID bulb aft to accomplish two things:

1.) Get the HID bulb arc capsule into the correct position.
2.) Get the HID bulb tip AWAY from the shield to prevent a short circuit (need a MINIMUM of 5mm clearance, maybe more).

It will be a bear to weather-proof this. Good luck.

OF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found one one ebay with a glass lens, do you think that will be fine? or do you think it will melt the housing itself?

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
First, is this a true OEM round lens version with a bezel to fill out the rest of the area around the housing, or a true OEM form-fitting lens that fills out the housing with the entire lens face?

Man, I forgot about the plastic housing. I really don't know. Standard HID pulls fewer watts (just 35W), which means less overall heat, but it's all localized in a small area. I don't know how close the HID capsule gets to the housing. Also, I don't know how you'll make 100% sure that it stays dry, both inside and out, once you end up not using an OEM bulb. The OEM Honda fog lights have excellent weather sealing when using the stock bulb, but all bets are off when you can't seal up the back end to accomodate an HID bulb that is shimmed to work somewhat-kind-of-sort-of-properly.

I have no idea how the "OEM style" housings manage good weather sealing, either. I think that would be the primary stumbling point.

OF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fogs I am referring to Are non OEM and are form fitting not the round ones. I guess ill purchase them and check them out, how the bulbs fit, and how the seals are. Maybe buy extra seals or try to seal those bad boys up.
As for wiring, how hard is that?

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Well, the OEM wiring, relays, protective sheathing, and mounts/wire tires are truly plug-and-play. It doesn't get better than that. I cannot comment on non-OEM, except where other forum members posted pics, the wiring did look somewhat less robust than OEM. No complaints that I've head generated, though.

OF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts