Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the heater control unit from an EX model will work as a replacement in an LX? It would be nice to upgrade to the auto temp control, and the EX version is easier to find. The front face plates appear similar but are the connectors in the back the same?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am surprised nobody else seems to have done this, so I expect it is not a-plug and-play change. I am trying to find ebay postings that include photos of the rear to see if the wiring harness is the same.

I will let you know if it works out. In the meantime, I hope somebody else has definitive information.

·
Registered
36 Posts
nmce - did you ever try to replace the LX heater control with the EX version? I have to replace my LX control.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cicco,
I thought I needed a new heater control panel, but a parts salvage guy suggested that the my problem (first and second fan speeds didn't work) was likely the resistor pack on the blower assembly. I replaced that part and all was good.

But just to let you know what I found:
- Comparing the parts diagrams for the EX and LX and it looked like I would need the EX climate control panel, the sun sensor that goes in the center of top of the dashboard, and the motor speed control module (sorry, forget what it was called, but it is used in lieu of the resistor pack to provide continuously variable speeds instead of just 4 discrete speeds).
- I did not get to the point of finding out whether the blower/motor assembly and the wiring harness were the same before I found out about my easier fix.

If your heater control panel is actually gone, it may still be worth looking into this further as the EX control panel is much easier to get (and cheaper!) than the LX panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any followups to this thread ? It appears my 2000 ODY LX's 'Heater Control' which of course includes the AC switch and the vent selector switches, is failing intermittently. Most of the time 'failing' in fact. The retail price on the unit is about $400 and can be had from discounters (still a Honda OEM part) for about $280. Still pricey. And it looks like a bear to replace....

Update to my own Post. The EX Heater Control is about $100 more than an LX one, so I am not sure why ppl would want to replace an LX one with an EX one.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gzelna, I found it was not my heater control gone, but the resistor pack had burned out. (First the lowest speed stopped working when that resistor burned out, then the next higher speed when its resistor burned out). I replaced the resistor pack before the upper two speeds burned out as well.

When I thought I had to replace the control panel itself, I was planning on getting a used part, and the EX part was far easier to find, as well as cheaper.

Good luck with the fix...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts