Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2003 Honda Odyssey Easy way to add Transmission fluid in dipstick hole

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  0dyfamily 
#1 ·
On my 2003 Honda Odyssey, it was nearly impossible to add transmission fluid in the dipstick hole so I bought a condiment squeeze bottle at Walmart in the cooking section! Put the fluid in it and it fit perfectly down in to the dipstick hole and squeezed right in...no mess!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I wouldn't use that fluid. Either DW-1 or the Valvoline Max-Life.
But if you want more spice on your eggrolls, try the discontinued Z-1. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: WiiMaster
#4 ·
How often should we be topping off transmission fluid, and how do we know?
Don't beat me up for not knowing this one. My van has 115K miles on it (2005) and the last time I had the transmission fluid changed was in 2019 at 103K miles.
Haven't been driving much due to job location and pandemic.

#5 ·
You shouldn't have to "top off" your transmission fluid. If you do, there's probably a leak somewhere.

If you mean changing it, it seems to vary based on preference. Some people like do it every other oil change (or even every oil change), others do it ever 15-30k. I did a 3x drain and fill on my Ody at 30k, and I've been doing single drain and fills every 30k since.

#11 ·
As davedrivesody noted, most likely there is not one for her 2003 ... there's a 2nd gear auxiliary oiling jet fitted into that "former fill hole."

Have to use the dipstick tube. I follow the Buffalo4 mantra of using a funnel, with the end slipped over the outside of the tube (tightly...no leaks).

That ATF pic by the OP looks tasty. I had some egg rolls last weak, mmm, mmmm, sweet & sour sauce.

OF

#10 ·
Yeah, and also most 2002-2004's had the fill plug removed and replaced by an auxiliary oiling system, per a factory recall.

#9 ·
On my 2003 Honda Odyssey, it was nearly impossible to add transmission fluid in the dipstick hole so I bought a condiment squeeze bottle at Walmart in the cooking section! Put the fluid in it and it fit perfectly down in to the dipstick hole and squeezed right in...no mess! View attachment 161318
I use a long necked black funnel that I bought at Walmart that fits tightly 'OVER' the dipstick tube.
The fluid goes in really quickly. Yes, less than a half minute per quart.
I use the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF as a lot of folks here do also. Around $18/gal jug at Walmart.
Is that Prestone ATF in the photo recommended for a Z-1 or DW-1 replacement?
Best of luck.
Buffalo4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.