Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a couple of issues with my Honda Odyssey and while researching them I came across of this forum. I figured I would make a post and see what advice you guys have.

Specs:

Make: Honda
Model: Odyssey
Year: 2003
Mileage: 289,xxx
Engine: 3.5 V6 w/VTECH

Issues:

The vehicles runs and idles a bit rough. It seems to be misfiring a bit as well. I plugged up the code scanner to it and it provided me with 3 codes:

P0303 - Misfire Cylinder #3
P1399 - Misfire Code
P0401 - EGR Code

I checked the other day and it had about 11 codes in its memory, more or less one for every cylinder for misfire and a couple of other related to EGR Valves. I erased the codes and drove it a bit today to see what it would tell me now.

My thoughts: The car might be overdue for a timing chain adjustment as the spark plugs and the coils were replaced about a year ago.

Along with these, the vehicle also makes a helicopter type noise from the Left Front area.

My thoughts: Maybe the HUBS on the front are going out but also maybe the differential inside the transmission needs attention.

Has anyone had issues similar to what I am having with the car currently? Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
953 Posts
An EGR problem such as the P0401 can cause misfires so I would address it first as it might resolve your misfiring problems.

When was the timing belt and valve adjustment done last?

The noise in the left front when does it occur? Is it only while driving? At a certain speed? In a certain gear? When idling? Idling in park, drive, neutral? Does the noise only occur while accelerating or maintaining speed?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Check your air filter to see if anything might be stuck to the bottom of the filter itself or ? for that helicopter noise.
If you can reproduce it while the Ody is not moving, pinpoint the source.
Do address the EGR problem as it can cause similar problems.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An EGR problem such as the P0401 can cause misfires so I would address it first as it might resolve your misfiring problems.

When was the timing belt and valve adjustment done last?

The noise in the left front when does it occur? Is it only while driving? At a certain speed? In a certain gear? When idling? Idling in park, drive, neutral? Does the noise only occur while accelerating or maintaining speed?
I will check out the EGR issue, thanks for that tip.

The timing belt to my knowledge has never been adjusted.

The noise only occurs when the vehicle is moving. It is quiet when the car is sitting. The faster I go the faster the rhythm of the sound is. If I stay a consistent speed the sound stay at a consistency.

Check your air filter to see if anything might be stuck to the bottom of the filter itself or ? for that helicopter noise.
If you can reproduce it while the Ody is not moving, pinpoint the source.
Do address the EGR problem as it can cause similar problems.
Buffalo4
Thanks. I will check out the air filter but it only happens when the car is in motion.

I will look into the EGR valve and see what I can find.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Does the noise go away if you take your foot off the gas? I would want to get this diagnosed prior to doing anything else.

I would do the timing belt and related components, the valve adjustment and clean the EGR ports and passages. When you do the valve adjustment you will have access to all the EGR passages.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the noise go away if you take your foot off the gas? I would want to get this diagnosed prior to doing anything else.

I would do the timing belt and related components, the valve adjustment and clean the EGR ports and passages. When you do the valve adjustment you will have access to all the EGR passages.
I do not think that it goes away after I am off the throttle. As long as the wheels are spinning I hear it. I will do a little bit more troubleshooting with it. I will put it in N while in motion and see what happens.

I found a video online where the gentleman was cleaning the EGR passages. I will attempt this later today as it seems to be not too difficult to access everything needed including the sensor itself.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It sounds like a transmission noise. What's important is to determine if it makes noise all the time while in motion or just when you are applying throttle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like a transmission noise. What's important is to determine if it makes noise all the time while in motion or just when you are applying throttle.

I checked this out earlier and it is heard at all times as long as the car is in motion. I put it in Neutral and let it coast and I still could hear it.

On another note. I took care of the EGR issue I believe.

Before:

After:

After I put it back together I drove it for maybe 10 mins around the block, no EGR codes came back during this trip but I did have a misfire going on. Code 1399 came back up along with the check engine light flashing to signal misfire only on acceleration from what I could tell.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
I checked this out earlier and it is heard at all times as long as the car is in motion. I put it in Neutral and let it coast and I still could hear it.
Jack up the front of the van and check the left tire for bulges or other visible defects.

If not, swap the two front tires and see if the noise switches to the right side.

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jack up the front of the van and check the left tire for bulges or other visible defects.

If not, swap the two front tires and see if the noise switches to the right side.

Dave

Yeah I will give that a go. Might just a faulty tire. I need to look at it more, I think it might be worn down brake pads and rotors potentially.

·
Registered
953 Posts
At your mileage, if the valves have never been adjusted, a misfire due to valves being out of adjustment is possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At your mileage, if the valves have never been adjusted, a misfire due to valves being out of adjustment is possible.

Yeah, I was slightly thinking that. Since the plugs and coils were replaced on all 6 cylinders about a year ago and are fairly new I was leaning more to needing to adjust the valves.

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
the EGR blockage is on the manifold itself, what you are showing is just the lid, did you clean out the actual EGR port hole on the manifold? make sure you run a vacuum hose directly near where you scrape it out, you do not want that stuff going down and blocking your water passage manifold

On another note. I took care of the EGR issue I believe.

Before:
View attachment 152205

After:
View attachment 152207

After I put it back together I drove it for maybe 10 mins around the block, no EGR codes came back during this trip but I did have a misfire going on. Code 1399 came back up along with the check engine light flashing to signal misfire only on acceleration from what I could tell.

·
Registered
464 Posts
do not ignore your codes, it specifically says Misfire Cylinder #3, that's not a joke. you need to locate your #3 and run your engine, listen carefully and pull the coil for #3, if you hear no difference in sound it's a bad spark plug, or you can simply replace it with a new spark plug, than check if that code remains. it doesn't matter if you replaced all of your spark plugs a year ago or 2 seconds ago. both misfire codes need to disappear before you can move on to other things, also make sure you cleaned out your actual EGR port like I said

Hey guys,

I have a couple of issues with my Honda Odyssey and while researching them I came across of this forum. I figured I would make a post and see what advice you guys have.

Specs:

Make: Honda
Model: Odyssey
Year: 2003
Mileage: 289,xxx
Engine: 3.5 V6 w/VTECH

Issues:

The vehicles runs and idles a bit rough. It seems to be misfiring a bit as well. I plugged up the code scanner to it and it provided me with 3 codes:

P0303 - Misfire Cylinder #3
P1399 - Misfire Code
P0401 - EGR Code

I checked the other day and it had about 11 codes in its memory, more or less one for every cylinder for misfire and a couple of other related to EGR Valves. I erased the codes and drove it a bit today to see what it would tell me now.

My thoughts: The car might be overdue for a timing chain adjustment as the spark plugs and the coils were replaced about a year ago.

Along with these, the vehicle also makes a helicopter type noise from the Left Front area.

My thoughts: Maybe the HUBS on the front are going out but also maybe the differential inside the transmission needs attention.

Has anyone had issues similar to what I am having with the car currently? Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
953 Posts
do not ignore your codes, it specifically says Misfire Cylinder #3, that's not a joke. you need to locate your #3 and run your engine, listen carefully and pull the coil for #3, if you hear no difference in sound it's a bad spark plug, or you can simply replace it with a new spark plug, than check if that code remains. it doesn't matter if you replaced all of your spark plugs a year ago or 2 seconds ago. both misfire codes need to disappear before you can move on to other things, also make sure you cleaned out your actual EGR port like I said
His misfire code for cylinder 3 hasn't come back on since he reset it and cleaned the plate. I agree that the rest of the EGR ports and passages need to be cleaned as well and doing the valve adjustment will allow for a thorough cleaning of the intake and EGR.

·
Registered
464 Posts
His misfire code for cylinder 3 hasn't come back on since he reset it and cleaned the plate. I agree that the rest of the EGR ports and passages need to be cleaned as well and doing the valve adjustment will allow for a thorough cleaning of the intake and EGR.
I don't know how you determined that unless you're messaging him outside of this thread because the last thing he said about his codes was "After I put it back together I drove it for maybe 10 mins around the block, no EGR codes came back during this trip but I did have a misfire going on. Code 1399 came back up along with the check engine light flashing to signal misfire only on acceleration from what I could tell."
So that means he DOES still have a misfire, probably still on #3 even though it doesn't show that code along with the misfire. I wouldn't ignore the obvious

·
Registered
953 Posts
Only code PO1399 came back on which is random and not a hard set. It’s a precursor to a PO30X code. He talks about it in post 8.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Only code PO1399 came back on which is random and not a hard set. It’s a precursor to a PO30X code. He talks about it in post 8.
We're talking about the same #8 post. I googled your p030x code and the first on that list is spark plugs. I honestly cannot tell what you're trying to tell me, anyways whatever dudes. I say it's a spark plug, but ok. He still hasn't even told us if he reamed out the actual EGR Port because that lid is only half of the clog

·
Registered
953 Posts
He no longer has a code for a misfire in cylinder 3. The PO1399 can be a code for any cylinder or a random misfire. There is no way of knowing what cylinder the PO1399 is referring to. He replaced the plugs and coils a year ago so not a likely cause unless he used some odd ball brand. Yes the EGR passages and ports need to be completely cleaned out. He also stated that there was a code stored in memory for a misfire at every cylinder so it’s something that can impact the entire system. EGR and Valve timing are both likely culprits. At his mileage the valve adjustment is needed anyways and also allows one to clean the EGR ports and passages as well as clean the intake.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
9 Participants
match
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing