Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THINKING OF BUYING A 2003 ODESSEY..HAS 87,000 MILES ON IT AND IS A ONE OWNER.WHEN I DROVE IT THE FIRST TIME AND IT WAS COLD,THE TRANSMISSION HAD A DELAY IN SHIFTING FROM 1ST TO 2ND,WHEN I STOPPED AND STARTED AGAIN IT SEEMED TO SHIFT FINE.THE VEHICLE HAD WARMED UP I GUESS.IS THIS A SIGN OF THE TRANNY GETTING WEAK OR WHAT? ALSO IT'S NEVER HAD THE TIMING BELT REPLACED OR THE ANTIFREEZE CHANGED OR FLUSHED.WHEN DOES HONDA RECOMMEND CHANGING THE BELT AND ANTIFREEZE ?AND ANY THOUGHTS ON THE TRANNY WOULD BE A BIG HELP AS I HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE VAN AS OF YET.

·
Registered
482 Posts
get it checked out by a trusted mechanic. if it looks good then set side $3,000 for a tranny rebuild and $1,000 for the timing belt/water pump work. Honda recommends replacing the belt at 105,000 miles.

my 03 has been pretty much trouble free for the 3 years i've owned it. Just waiting for the tranny to go :stupid:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANK YOU..I MADE THE DECISION TO LEAVE THE ODYSSEY WHERE IT IS.NOT GOING TO BUY IT .TOO MUCH NEGATIVE TALK ON THESE VEHICLES..HECK,I'M STARTING TO HATE HONDA'S ALL AROUND NOW..THINK I'M GOING WITH SOMETHING ELSE.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm up to 130k miles on original tranny. It's been shifting funny for about 40k miles. I had the motor mount replaced 20k miles ago and that solved the clunk from a stop to go and really helped the 1-2 shift. There's still a slight surge from 1-2 and a strong surge from 2-3, especially when cold.

SkilletDog is in SC like me. Just stick $2000 in the bank to have it rebuilt by a reputable shop and a auxillary oil cooler added. It may go any day or it may last another 100k.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's all relative. Every transmission shifts differently. Every transmission has it's own characteristics.

Transmission issues are really it for this. Talk to a typical Windstar owner and things get a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have an 04 EX-L that had the recall service performed on the tranny by the prior owner. Everything seems great except that occasionally, at part throttle right around 30mph, when the van shifts into 3rd, it seems to stutter. Letting off the gas or toeing into it gets it to quickly smooth out and upshift. Even with the stutter it still shifts up, but it's the only wart on an otherwise flawless drivetrain. Seems odd but hopefully it's not an omen...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah I pretty much figured so. It's an occasional thing (one every couple weeks and I can't force it to happen). Going to do the Magnefine filter install and flush in a couple weeks. Meantime I'll start saving my pennies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Richie_Richie said:
get it checked out by a trusted mechanic. if it looks good then set side $3,000 for a tranny rebuild and $1,000 for the timing belt/water pump work. Honda recommends replacing the belt at 105,000 miles.
That's 105K miles or 7 years. It's already over due if the belt
hasn't been replaced yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sometimes have a slight hesitation when my Odyssey is cold (103k miles), but I've also had this on Ford's, Chryslers and other vehicles. Not a big deal. If the trans. is warm and hesitating, slipping, "flairing", etc. then I'd be concerned. My dad had an issue with his '90 Accord and it turned out to be the computer rather than the trans.
I love my Odyssey and am glad I bought it. I would do a trans. service if it has not been done, do the 105k service when you have that many miles (especially the timing belt & water pump), and just generally take care of the car and it will serve you well.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
SKILLETDOG said:
......HECK,I'M STARTING TO HATE HONDA'S ALL AROUND NOW..THINK I'M GOING WITH SOMETHING ELSE.
Yes, go with a Chrysler product....;)

OF

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Oh, my wife says I've been slipping for quite a while! Knowing the driveline carnage we experienced with Chrysler, if I ever even look at another Dodge truck again, she'll probably beat me about the cranium with a few kicks to the backside for good measure.

:D

OF

·
Registered
665 Posts
0dyfamily said:
Oh, my wife says I've been slipping for quite a while! Knowing the driveline carnage we experienced with Chrysler, if I ever even look at another Dodge truck again, she'll probably beat me about the cranium with a few kicks to the backside for good measure.

:D

OF
Ouch, next time get an allison transmission.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts